Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basslady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Here is the situation.....a friend of mine is in a bad marriage. She found out her husband bugged her laptop and her phone and is finding out all of her conversations. The other day, we were all at a buffet restaurant and he was sitting at the table with us, without thinking anything of it, I left my purse with my phone at the table while all but him went up to the bar. Later on that night, I was in the car with another friend and we were talking in detail about our friends situation. The next day my friend whom I was talking to in the car, checked her answering machine, and our conversation was on her machine. I checked my call log AND detailed billing from AT&T thinking I may have butt dialed her house, but there is no record of me calling her house. The same with her, she as no record of calling her house and her home phone does not have caller ID. This guy is very tech savy and is the manager of 4 AT&T stores. Is it possible for him to have hacked into my phone and put some sort of bug in it? If this is possible, is it also possible for my phone to be able to record our conversation without a call being placed? If it is possible, how can I tell if my phone has been hacked?
Thanks

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
You're paranoid.
You just butt dialed your home.
You cant hack/JB an iphone that easy and install that type of spyware.

While I tend to agree with Applejuiced on this one--pretty sure he'd need a computer on hand and a lot more time to pull something like that off--if you're that concerned, plug your phone into iTunes and restore as new. If you're truly worried, Erase All Contents and then restore as new.

Just be aware that you will lose EVERYTHING doing either of those methods.

You could in theory restore from a previous backup that dated from before the incident, but *if* there were anything on there, it *might* survive that. It shouldn't survive a complete new setup.

Honestly, it's so profoundly unlikely that I wouldn't bother. But it is an option if you're that certain he did something.

And don't EVER leave your purse with anyone you can't trust. You're lucky he didn't take your credit card numbers.

basslady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Ok...thanks. Puts my mind to ease...wasn't sure what type of technology is out there, and if it were possible to do so without a laptop.

While I tend to agree with Applejuiced on this one--pretty sure he'd need a computer on hand and a lot more time to pull something like that off--if you're that concerned, plug your phone into iTunes and restore as new. If you're truly worried, Erase All Contents and then restore as new.

Just be aware that you will lose EVERYTHING doing either of those methods.

You could in theory restore from a previous backup that dated from before the incident, but *if* there were anything on there, it *might* survive that. It shouldn't survive a complete new setup.

Honestly, it's so profoundly unlikely that I wouldn't bother. But it is an option if you're that certain he did something.

And don't EVER leave your purse with anyone you can't trust. You're lucky he didn't take your credit card numbers.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Wow, you are using an iphone and you don't even put a password protect on it? If you do, then he can't even get pass by this screen. If don't, it is time for you to create one to protect you in case someone snap your phone while you leave your phone on the table again.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
It's quite surprising how many times I've been "butt-dialed", "pocket-dialed" and "purse-dialed" from people using iPhones.

As a rule of thumb, I have now started to press the power button to deactivate the screen before I put it into my pocket.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Here is the situation.....a friend of mine is in a bad marriage. She found out her husband bugged her laptop and her phone and is finding out all of her conversations. The other day, we were all at a buffet restaurant and he was sitting at the table with us, without thinking anything of it, I left my purse with my phone at the table while all but him went up to the bar. Later on that night, I was in the car with another friend and we were talking in detail about our friends situation. The next day my friend whom I was talking to in the car, checked her answering machine, and our conversation was on her machine. I checked my call log AND detailed billing from AT&T thinking I may have butt dialed her house, but there is no record of me calling her house. The same with her, she as no record of calling her house and her home phone does not have caller ID. This guy is very tech savy and is the manager of 4 AT&T stores. Is it possible for him to have hacked into my phone and put some sort of bug in it? If this is possible, is it also possible for my phone to be able to record our conversation without a call being placed? If it is possible, how can I tell if my phone has been hacked?
Thanks

If you didn't call her and she didn't call you, how was there a conversation to record?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That is what I can't figure out!!! But our conversation was most definitively on her answering machine!!!!

So what does that mean? That dude somehow hacked your phone and for some weird reason recorded your conversation in the car on your friends answering machine? Why would he do that?
Take the tinfoil hat off:D

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I believe the technology do exist but i doubt normal people will be able to do that. It's like FBI or CIA is able to record the stuff you say with your phone without you calling. It's just like a voice recorder but with your phone and without you knowing. As long as the phone is on then it should be able to do that.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
I believe the technology do exist but i doubt normal people will be able to do that. It's like FBI or CIA is able to record the stuff you say with your phone without you calling. It's just like a voice recorder but with your phone and without you knowing. As long as the phone is on then it should be able to do that.

Now, you really make OP paranoid. She might end up throwing her phone into the toilet.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Now, you really make OP paranoid. She might end up throwing her phone into the toilet.

:D oops. I am enjoying this. lol

There's no hiding nowadays. "Security" cameras are everywhere. The moment you use your credit card/debit card, cellphone, landline, internet you expose yourself.

basslady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
So what does that mean? That dude somehow hacked your phone and for some weird reason recorded your conversation in the car on your friends answering machine? Why would he do that?
Take the tinfoil hat off:D

But I "LIKE" my tin foil hat, thank you!! :p I don't know, the guy is very manipulative.....I was just wondering if the technology was out there for someone in his position as manager of AT&T stores. Wouldn't have thought anything of it, except neither of our phones or billing showed that we placed a call to her house....and for the fact that he already bugged my friends phone.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
If someone was going to record conversations... wouldn't he have it sent to his OWN answering machine and not hers??? (or at least somewhere private that he had access to).

Someone butt dialled her house and the conversation got recorded on her machine... that's it. There's NO WAY of installing some spyware on an iPhone like that without a computer. I highly doubt the app store has anything like that.

Jinx07

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2012
Yes, you can hack into an Iphone. My friend did it to his wife's Iphone. I'm not quite sure software or how he did it. But, that is how he caught her cheating.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, you can hack into an Iphone. My friend did it to his wife's Iphone. I'm not quite sure software or how he did it. But, that is how he caught her cheating.

There is no hack or spyware for stock firmware iOS.
Most likely he used tr find my iPhone feature to track her.
Something you dot know or understand doesn't mean it's hacked.
It's a built in feature of iCloud.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There is no hack or spyware for stock firmware iOS.
Most likely he used tr find my iPhone feature to track her.
Something you dot know or understand doesn't mean it's hacked.
It's a built in feature of iCloud.

that's is correct, if the backup is not encrypted, all you need is sync the phone to any computer, then use Backup Extrator + SQLite reader (SQLite Database Browser) and you'll get access to Texts, Messages, contacts, pretty much everything.

I haven't personally seen any tool to be use as Spyware yet, on paper it is very possible and not that difficult, but again very few people would have any interest on something like that.

Find my phone can be easily be use to track the phone in real time, and some other features on iCloud that are pretty dangerous if you are not careful with your password or your phone.

More Social Engineering than hacking....

PS: please Encrypt your backups LOL

In Like Flynn

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
Here is the situation.....a friend of mine is in a bad marriage. She found out her husband bugged her laptop and her phone and is finding out all of her conversations.

She should divorce him, not cheat on him. :mad:
Cheaters never prosper and sometimes end up dead. :eek:
(just sayin, you see it in the news everyday) :D

Viper64

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
All I'm going to say is this if he had 5 minutes alone with your phone...

http://www.clubmz.com/

Check out this website...

Sammyde

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2013
USA, Virginia
You are right he might have hacked your phone, my wife did the same on my iphone 4 she can copy text,pictures, what's app texting call log to her phone but whenever she do it I can tell because when I go to photos I can see pictures, text messaging all in one picture folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.