Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bartmanb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Good evening everyone,

It is now a few weeks I am facing a blocking issue and that makes me want to cry. I have a 24-inch iMac (2008 model) with a Nvidia 8800GS and one day while I was surfing the internet after playing at Portal 2, my imac freezes and the screen begins to display red pixels ... Surprised and scared, I decided to restart it.
After reboot, the problem went away until a few hours of use where the screen was suddenly filled with artifacts ... Then freeze again ... I seriously began to question myself. Then I descided to let some time to the computer to rest, but for me it was a night of questions and worries.

The day after, when i go back from my job I turn on the imac and the drama is absolute: the pink and blue vertical bands appear at the lighting of the screen and then the computer freezes when the system starts up (small circle of loading). And from there, I have never managed to reach my desktop ... The syndrome known on G5 models has resurfaced ... the only difference with this version of iMac is that this problem is not recognized by Apple as a hidden defect, dixit support.

So, a 2,5 years imac goes down, and repair costs are at customer's expense, when it is due to a defect of material. I was pro-Apple with the purchase of a MacBook that has cracked the hull, an ipad 2 which had the home button not working as it should and the imac that fails, I begin to ask serious questions about the reliability of the products of the firm that seems to me more as good quality as before. After diagnosis from an authorized service center of it would be a screen slab problem ... on my side I banked on the graphics card ... brief that said the minimum bill amounts to 600 euros (i'm french, that can explain my poor english) ... for a device of two and a half years ... thank who ? Ah yes, the apple with the big worm inside ...

After much research on the internet and phone calls passed to Apple Support in order to discuss about my concern I made two observations:
- The first one is that this problem is not isolated and a lot of people have experienced similar symptoms with iMac 24 "with a Nvidia 8800GS 2008.
- Second one : support person that i get many times to the phone will not make an effort and make sure that the serial number of my iMac is not part of a defective series and I confirm that the problem encountered is an isolated case ... Hmmm Hhmmm with all cases I've seen on the internet that seems to me a litlle bit... how to say ... : FALSE!

So, the purpose of my topic is to gather the maximum experiences which seem to be similar of mine, in order to try to move Apple. I have had some testimonials on french mac forums (with supporting documentation: photos of symptoms, bills with serial number and details of the concerned iMac etc ...) and I rely on those on this forum that are concerned about this damn problem to manifest itself. Because even if Apple's disgusts me now, i hope to have a recognition which makes me believe in my Imac and its better days.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
most nvidia 8800's give up sooner or later , its a manufacturing defect and not Apples fault they only fitted the GPU inside
you can read it up in several posts here whats wrong with the GPU and on wiki too
and without apple care left .......Apple does not do recalls ...they do sometimes very secretly offer repair schemes and stop them as they please ..ask thousands of iMac G5 owners with bad caps

bartmanb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
most nvidia 8800's give up sooner or later , its a manufacturing defect and not Apples fault they only fitted the GPU inside
you can read it up in several posts here whats wrong with the GPU and on wiki too
and without apple care left .......Apple does not do recalls ...they do sometimes very secretly offer repair schemes and stop them as they please ..ask thousands of iMac G5 owners with bad caps

I know that this problem is known by Apple but it's their responsability to resolve this issue in agreement with NVidia. They choose to put this type card on their iMac so they should take care of repair cost with NVidia. It's not normal that something like that happens on a 2 years computer.

What solutions are available to me now ? Pay 600 euros for a repair while a new pc can cost 900 euros ? or sell this one for spare parts ?

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
you know some apple products are built good and last long, then you have those epic apple store stories, and then you have these cases that are just plane disappointing. Serves to remind us that nobody is perfect.

Mannes

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2011
I had the same problem that after 2,5 year the nvidea 8800 card died. I also found the repair cost too high and decided to try to repair it myself.

I bought from e-bay a new ATI 2600 card for this iMac and replaced the broken nvidia 8800 card myself with this ATI card and my iMac is now working back correctly.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
The vertical stripes mean the LCD screen has problems, not the graphic card. I have experienced that problem, and if the machine works correctly it can be worth attaching an external monitor.
Sometimes I think about the materials used by Apple. Quality is not always the target these last years. I see G4s getting used at offices and whatsoever, and they still rock.

bartmanb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
To Mannes :
thanks for your information. Can you tell the price of the ATI 2600 that you buy in replacement of the 8800GS ? Your iMac was a 24 inch model ? or a 20 inch ?

To LostSoul80 :
I have to test the iMac on an external screen in order to confirm the LCD or graphic card problem... But in all cases the replacement is too expensive... :eek: Can you send me information about your model as your serial number with the bill or other in order to complete my case. Thanks.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I've been experiencing vertical stripes on a 2007 iMac, and can confirm the LCD screen causes them. Probably it happens because of some loose connections. Expect the number of lines to increase with time. :(
The cost of a new screen is still too high to justify a replacement -- an external monitor will do just fine.

bartmanb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
I've been experiencing vertical stripes on a 2007 iMac, and can confirm the LCD screen causes them. Probably it happens because of some loose connections. Expect the number of lines to increase with time. :(
The cost of a new screen is still too high to justify a replacement -- an external monitor will do just fine.

Thanks for this information. Just another question : your iMac did it freeze on startup ? (when the apple logo appears with the loading circle)
Because mine has vertical stripes and freeze, so i hope the internal disk is not in failure too.

Mannes

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2011
To Mannes :
thanks for your information. Can you tell the price of the ATI 2600 that you buy in replacement of the 8800GS ? Your iMac was a 24 inch model ? or a 20 inch ?

I bought the ATI card from this seller for 250$: http://stores.ebay.com/MacPro-Online
But I see he is not selling it anymore at this moment. This card is only for the 24" Early 2008 model.
The title of the item was: iMac (24-inch Early 2008) ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
ever since the issue with the Macbook Pro Santa Rosa with Nvidia graphics chip fiasco, I've been scared of Nvidia chips!

bartmanb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Thank you for your support. I think i will not change the video card but sell it for parts and will purchase thereafter a new PC, it's the end of iMac series for me !!! :mad::mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.