Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Boston
...do they exist?

I just saw an ad for an in-dash car stereo that proudly boasted MP3 and WMV CDs! :mad:

I don't recall ever seeing an electronic product boasting AAC compatibility.

Anyone ever see such a thing?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
The iPod is currently the only piece of electronic equipment that can play an AAC encoded file (besides a computer using iTunes).

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
yellow said:
The iPod is currently the only piece of electronic equipment that can play an AAC encoded file (besides a computer using iTunes).

I don't know the details, but I heard somewhere else on this forum that certain Nokia phones support AAC as well. This article mentions SE too. A web search for "Nokia AAC" seems to confirm this.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It will play AAC files, but note that I say encoded AAC files, which I don't believe it will. Besides, the nokia cell phone is far afield from a boombox..

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Boston
yellow said:
Well here you go, the original poster in this thread bought something for his car that plays unencoded AAC files.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/115645/
At least it does exist! :rolleyes:

As AAC is not a proprietary format, I find it baffling that more people aren't doing this. Sony, of course, is trying to push their format (hellooooooo betamax), but I don't know why I don't see every other boombox sporting AAC compatibility.

(WMV: oops, I meant WMA)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.