Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Apple typically releases them in September. I haven't seen any rumors about them recently, but it's a safe guess we'll see them in September.

Tha Professor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The Mothership
Yeah, I would like to see some update to Classic, since mine has died not so long ago... There is just no substitute to 160 gigs memory! iTunes Match might help a little, but since there is not even iTunes store in my country, that is going to be difficult to get.. :(

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
It's likely we'll see new iPods announced at the iPhone announcement which will probably be on the 21st of September (given that Apple usually has announcements on Wednesday, gives the press a week notice and didn't send anything out today). Usually there would have been leaks by now if they were coming that soon though. Maybe we'll just get spec bumps this year on all models.

However, don't bet on a new Classic. They didn't update it last year, I'm almost thinking they may discontinue it, if they can get the capacity up on the Touch.

SlamJam12

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Unlikely changes

I have yet heard any rumors about any new iPods except a little bit about the iPod Touch. It seems kind of disappointing that the iPods may be seeing the end. The nano lost functionality, too small and is on pace to be the next shuffle.

I have an iPhone but I would like to have an iPod for separate use for things that could damage the iPhone in these situations.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Its usually in September or October when the iPods get updated so it is going to be pretty soon so I would wait if I were you.

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
But really, with the iPhone 5 being announced and launched right around the same time, would anyone besides Apple fanboys care about new iPods? The average person probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between new and old iPods unless they're enormous changes.

Basically what i'm saying is... is the iPod line (excluding iPod touch) even gonna get an update? For all we know, it could go iPod classic like... no update this year.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
But really, with the iPhone 5 being announced and launched right around the same time, would anyone besides Apple fanboys care about new iPods? The average person probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between new and old iPods unless they're enormous changes.

Basically what i'm saying is... is the iPod line (excluding iPod touch) even gonna get an update? For all we know, it could go iPod classic like... no update this year.

I'm not a Apple fanboy, just a spec geek trying to choose between this years ipod and last year's ipod.

*Posted via WindowsXP

nrubsol

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
ipod nano perfect

I don't need a camera, pedometer or anything like that in my iPod. I need a simple, handy MUSIC player. That's the original function factor of the of first iPod. The Nano fits this perfectly. I wasn't sold on it until I tried one out at a local Apple store. The only thing the current Nano lacks is storage capacity. I'd love to see a 32 gig or higher one offered. If I need more gizmos or functions, that's what my iPad or Mac Book are for. Keep It Simple Stupid!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
However, don't bet on a new Classic. They didn't update it last year, I'm almost thinking they may discontinue it, if they can get the capacity up on the Touch.

I'm inclined to think that you could well be right about this, even though I'm a fan of the classic. It seems to me that if the capacity of the iTouch could be increased that Apple might well discontinue the classic altogether at some stage. Which would be a pity.....as there are some of us out there who still want the iPod to be all about music storage and playing....

I don't need a camera, pedometer or anything like that in my iPod. I need a simple, handy MUSIC player. That's the original function factor of the of first iPod. The Nano fits this perfectly. I wasn't sold on it until I tried one out at a local Apple store. The only thing the current Nano lacks is storage capacity. I'd love to see a 32 gig or higher one offered. If I need more gizmos or functions, that's what my iPad or Mac Book are for. Keep It Simple Stupid!

I hear you and I agree - completely - with what have bolded in your post.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
don't really care much about the ipods line since I got the first iphone in 2007 :eek:. However, if they make the new ipod nano like the sony ericsson liveview I'm sure will be that thing on the first release day with my iPhone 5 lol

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
One thing I would like to see Apple do: increase the battery life of the iPod nano to over 30 hours. It would certainly make the nano much more useful as a portable music player.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
I think they'll release them along with iPhone in October. Holding two events doesn't make much sense and moreover they'll never release an iPod Touch which has better hardware than their flagship iPhone.

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
I guess i'm playing devil's advocate. But really, the spot light will be on the iPhone 5 and a new iPod touch. What possible features could they add to the new iPods that would justify a refresh?

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

They'll update them just to refresh the products. You're acting like they don't sell at all. The only reason it seems this way is because the media is all about the iOS devices now, mostly the iPhone and iPad.

Its just so dang funny though that the iPod Classic is the 2nd hottest selling iPod (at least on amazon for the last 2 years) when it has had virtually no updates for 4 years! Really tells you something. I think Apple underplays the classic because its more beneficial to get people on iOS devices that can make them more money.

Its ridiculous they are holding the iPod Touch to such a pathetic 64GB when the content is only getting larger in size, some people can fill that with just music let alone throw in video and apps.

Even worse is the iPod Nano, the 16GB capacity was introduced when songs on the iTS were 128kbps. Its been 3 years since it has seen a capacity update at all yet songs are double in size now.

Nano and Classic capacity updates would be enough for me to spend money on new ones, and since I paid $400 for the 64GB iPod Touch this year I'm not looking to update that for awhile.

Alvesang

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Germany
I just love to buy a new iPod every now and then. I like the feel and smell (yeah, no kidding) of opening and unpacking a brand new iPod. I just don't feel the need to get another one of the current generation. I've already bought the nano 6G and shuffle 4G, and usually I'm a shuffle geek, but at 2GB capacity it just doesn't cut it for me. I really hope Apple will bring back a 4GB shuffle, better yet introduce an 8GB version. Plus, I really dig the thought of a 32GB nano. I've been hoping for that since the fifth incarnation.

watervapr

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
I think they'll release them along with iPhone in October. Holding two events doesn't make much sense and moreover they'll never release an iPod Touch which has better hardware than their flagship iPhone.

^this. Apple will never release the ipod touch before the iphone. The iPhone makes so much more revenue for apple, so releasing the touch with the updated specs "a5 chip, more memory, etc" before the updated iPhone will just shove customers away from the iPhone. I just hope that all the gizmo will be out before october.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
They'll update them just to refresh the products. You're acting like they don't sell at all. The only reason it seems this way is because the media is all about the iOS devices now, mostly the iPhone and iPad.

Its just so dang funny though that the iPod Classic is the 2nd hottest selling iPod (at least on amazon for the last 2 years) when it has had virtually no updates for 4 years! Really tells you something. I think Apple underplays the classic because its more beneficial to get people on iOS devices that can make them more money.

Its ridiculous they are holding the iPod Touch to such a pathetic 64GB when the content is only getting larger in size, some people can fill that with just music let alone throw in video and apps.

Even worse is the iPod Nano, the 16GB capacity was introduced when songs on the iTS were 128kbps. Its been 3 years since it has seen a capacity update at all yet songs are double in size now.

Nano and Classic capacity updates would be enough for me to spend money on new ones, and since I paid $400 for the 64GB iPod Touch this year I'm not looking to update that for awhile.

It's a wonder they don't turn the iPod classic into a wireless media server of sorts for iOS devices.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
I'm wondering if Apple has something special lined up...

After all October 11th 2011 marks exactly 10 years since Apple first unveiled the original iPod.

We could see an iPod Touch with iPod Classic type capacity, an all new type of iPod, major revisions, special editions, a wireless media server, lots of possibilities.

And it would make sense if Apple is planning on releasing iPhone 5 in late September that fits into the idea of get the higher profit item out first (iPhone 5), get people excited, and space out the iPhone 5 release from any iPod updates. While giving a logical chance to mark the 10yr anniversary of the iPod.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I believe there will be one of these three possible situations:

- Apple discontinues all iPods
- Apple discontinues all iPods except an updated iPod Touch
- Apple discontinues all iPods except an updated (and perhaps redesigned) iPod Classic which will be produced this year only, in lieu of iPod's 10th anniversary

I'm prepared for significant post voting-downage... but hey, just going with my gut feeling.

Alvesang

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Germany
I believe there will be one of these three possible situations:

- Apple discontinues all iPods
- Apple discontinues all iPods except an updated iPod Touch
- Apple discontinues all iPods except an updated (and perhaps redesigned) iPod Classic which will be produced this year only, in lieu of iPod's 10th anniversary

I'm prepared for significant post voting-downage... but hey, just going with my gut feeling.

I disbelieve. ;) There'll always be a market for small media players. I know so many people (myself included) who wouldn't want to carry an iPhone, iPod touch or iPod classic to the gym, and I think Apple is earning a buck or two by selling those people music via iTunes. In essence, I think (hope) there's going to be a new line of iPods with some internal changes. If there were any changes in the casings we would've seen some new cases by now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.