Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kensenjiha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Some terrible place
I got some **** resource, and hard underclock my MBP A1226 (C2D 2.2GHz, GF 8600M 128M) to 1.46GHz (133MHz*11). FSB could be 100MHz, 133 and 166. when performance is not a big deal, underclocking reduces heat (it can reach 100degC before) and gets more battery life.

I'll post the method here or ifixit.com later.

KNOWN ISSUE:
The clock and video playback became slower. by resetting SMC and PRRAM, the problem solved last night. but this noon, they got slower again. I need your help.

and, I'll try undervoltage later.

updated sept. 2, 2011:
add my xnu-speedstep-air . Great thanks to Reid (https://github.com/reid/xnu-speedstep-air) and , of course, xnu-speedstep project

usage of IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext
1. remove /Sys.../Lib..../Ex.../AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement*.kext
2. edit IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext/Contents/Info.plist , add Frequency and Voltage of your CPU.
3. copy IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext to /S/L/E
4. VERY IMPORTANT!! get this http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=806 SleepEnabler.kext and copy to /S/L/E. because removeing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement* looses sleep function, it might get very dangerous.
ref:
https://github.com/reid/xnu-speedstep-air
http://ktmtt.com/diary/2011-lion-coolbook.html (japanese page)
http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-31 at 22.20.01 .png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-31 at 22.20.01 .png
    82 KB · Views: 1,753
  • Screen Shot 2011-08-31 at 22.06.59 .png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-31 at 22.06.59 .png
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,132
  • Screen Shot 2011-08-31 at 22.09.16 .png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-31 at 22.09.16 .png
    179.5 KB · Views: 1,441
  • xnu-speedstep-air.20110902.zip
    378.7 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:

AmbiguousNinja

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2011
Honestly the first time I've heard of "under clocking" but it does seem to have its benefits (I wouldn't mind longer battery) however I can't really see me give up performance. Any info on how much performance slows down by?

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Your method is not new. The older MacBooks could be underclocked a long time ago. What I want is a clocking utility for the current ten MBPs.

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
How much extra battery life did you get? This seems pointless to me as heat doesn't matter but if there is a significant battery life increase this may actually have some benefit.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
How much extra battery life did you get? This seems pointless to me as heat doesn't matter but if there is a significant battery life increase this may actually have some benefit.

But heat does matter. It's bad for electronics to get hot, yet Apples got their users convinced hot is good. It's only because Apple prefers style over anything else. They don't care if it dies, as long as it survives the warranty period.

All anyone has to do is notice how a premium laptop like a T or W series ThinkPad is properly vented and cooled. My new W520 ThinkPad has a much faster quad core chip than my new 15" MBP, and when pushing the ThinkPad hard it barely gets warm. Running flash videos or doing heavy duty engineering work, it runs for hours with no problem. Even the dual fans are barely audible.

The only reason I get upset with Apple is I prefer OS X, and have been a long time Apple user. Yet to have to live with all the work one has to do, like tear it apart and replace the gobs of sloppy thermal paste that is in a MBP is just stupid.

I have no problem paying Apples high prices, but give me a computer I don't have to fix myself. Every single new MBP I've bought new, has had this issue. It tells the real truth about Apple's incredible ability to convince people it doesn't matter.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
But heat does matter. It's bad for electronics to get hot, yet Apples got their users convinced hot is good. It's only because Apple prefers style over anything else. They don't care if it dies, as long as it survives the warranty period.

All anyone has to do is notice how a premium laptop like a T or W series ThinkPad is properly vented and cooled. My new W520 ThinkPad has a much faster quad core chip than my new 15" MBP, and when pushing the ThinkPad hard it barely gets warm. Running flash videos or doing heavy duty engineering work, it runs for hours with no problem. Even the dual fans are barely audible.

The only reason I get upset with Apple is I prefer OS X, and have been a long time Apple user. Yet to have to live with all the work one has to do, like tear it apart and replace the gobs of sloppy thermal paste that is in a MBP is just stupid.

I have no problem paying Apples high prices, but give me a computer I don't have to fix myself. Every single new MBP I've bought new, has had this issue. It tells the real truth about Apple's incredible ability to convince people it doesn't matter.

And my 2007 MacBook Pro sat at 95C for months and didn't skip a beat.

This 2010 MacBook Pro sits at 95C for days on end and doesn't skip a beat.

Temp > design temp = more probability of issues.
Temp < design temp = less probability of issues.

Besides, having hammered a 15" dell with a quad and a 15" 2011 MBP the MBP is the quieter and runs just as hot.

Take that as you will.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011

It is NOT bad for electronics to get hot. Theyre kind of designed to be that way. The reason your thinkpad doesnt get hot is because (from pictures) it is made out of plastic, unlike the MBP which is made out of Aluminum. Aluminum conducts heat better, hence, you feel the machine hotter. Also, the thinkpad is unbelievably ugly. Looks like one of those early 1990's laptops.

Also, i guess Apple doesnt care as long as it survives the warranty period which with applecare is 3 years, by the time 3 years passes, youre most likely gonna be getting a new machine anyway. And, you voided your warranty by opening up your machine and reapplying thermal paste.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Under clocking doesn't really make a difference in temperature, under volting is where it's at. :D I used CoolBook to drop my voltages down extremely far; I don't have my MacBookPro with me, but I want to say I'm at 0.9250(I want to say lower but I'm not sure) volts at full clock(2400MHz). It dropped my temps down over 10*C under load, and 30 min or so more battery life under normal usage. If you have a C2D MacBookPro, spend the $10 and get it; look at it as a hard ware upgrade, I NEVER pay for software, and will gladly pay for CoolBook, the day after I got it for myself I got a second license for my girl friend's laptop.

Last edited:

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
I got some **** resource, and hard underclock my MBP A1226 (C2D 2.2GHz, GF 8600M 128M) to 1.46GHz (133MHz*11). FSB could be 100MHz, 133 and 166. when performance is not a big deal, underclocking reduces heat (it can reach 100degC before) and gets more battery life.

I'll post the method here or ifixit.com later.

But, now I'm having some issue. the Clock and video playback became slower. by resetting SMC and PRRAM, the problem solved last night. but this noon, they got slower again.

and, I'll try undervoltage later.

I believe what you are trying to do could be done by just using CoolBook

http://www.coolbook.se

kensenjiha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Some terrible place
Your method is not new. The older MacBooks could be underclocked a long time ago. What I want is a clocking utility for the current ten MBPs.

That's true. But coolbook doesn't work in lion, nether x64 nor sandy bridge. And costs 10bucks.
And, My method is to modify hardware jumpers. The coolbook is a free version.

Last edited:

kensenjiha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Some terrible place

About 3 hrs now, 2hrs before.
The why I do this, is 2007 MBP A1226's battery sucks, and the CPU can reach 100degC. And CPU performance is not really a bottelneck.

I agree with DWBurke811 that voltage is another key point, I'm working on it.

You guys really don't need to pay for coolbook. Someone and I modified xnu-speedstep for lion, works on 32bit kernel. CB does nothing better.

P.S. My method also underclocks the MCH.

Last edited:

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Screenshot2011-09-01at23646PM.png

same settings on adapter/battery; running CPUTest on "all" and "4 instances" for however long(30+ min). 100% CPU usage of both cores, my temps stay between 72-75*, and the fans don't go above 4.5k

:D

GammaRayToaster

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Germany
Even the dual fans are barely audible.

Dude, you got the W520 everyone has been hoping and waiting for, or you somehow squeezed another fan in there.

Unfortunately, all T and W Models from 2011, 2010 and 2009 have only one fan. Plus the W520 from 2011 is already clearly audible in idle mode. On top, many machines have had pulsing fans since their release, until the last bios update patched it (like 5 months after release..). 5 months of ear pain.

kensenjiha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Some terrible place
kinda busy these days.

show you some pic and simple note

DSC_4150 : before mod
DSC_4158: after

move 2 resistors, and remove 2 (keep them in case changing your mind).
if you want 100MHz FSB, move 3 and remove 3.

U2900 is system clock generator, those jumper resistors can configs FSB.
U7100 is CPU power supply controller, can hard-wire some VID line to undervoltage.

Caution: Requires some skill. Be very very careful. No guarantee.

Attachments

• DSC_4150.JPG
    DSC_4150.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 669
  • DSC_4158.JPG
    DSC_4158.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 699
Last edited:

kensenjiha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Some terrible place
Slow-clock problem is very tough, still no progress.

GPU under-voltaging kinda easy, from 1.05V down to 0.99V, and can be even lower. temperature lower 2-3deg(idle), and more @full load.

CPU undervoltage:
I noticed, when MBP running on AC power without the battery. F/V stuck at 800MHz/0.85V, even @full load, temerapture still very low(50~degC).
There should be some way to hack speedstep by software. I'm trying to hack MacBookPro3_1.plist, reduced the GPU throttle.

Another way to reduce heat. Use only one core.
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="-v cpus=1"
Core temp 80degC @full load(95~100 before). Most of the time, I don't need a too powerful and too hot CPU.

kensenjiha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Some terrible place
oh, yeah!!

after some soldering work, finally.
800MHz: 0.85V -> 0.71V (tried 0.61V, failed to boot)
2.2GHz: 1.25V -> 1.126V
now 58~60degC @fullload, 1 core. Environment 33degC.

I'm quite satisfied with these!

will post the entire guide later.

----------

oh, yeah!!

after some soldering work, finally.
800MHz: 0.85V -> 0.71V (tried 0.61V, failed to boot)
2.2GHz: 1.25V -> 1.12V
now 58~60degC @fullload, 1 core. Environment 33degC.

I'm quite satisfied with these!

will post the entire guide later.

GreyMatta

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2007
England
kinda busy these days.

show you some pic and simple note

DSC_4150 : before mod
DSC_4158: after

move 2 resistors, and remove 2 (keep them in case changing your mind).
if you want 100MHz FSB, move 3 and remove 3.

U2900 is system clock generator, those jumper resistors can configs FSB.
U7100 is CPU power supply controller, can hard-wire some VID line to undervoltage.

Caution: Requires some skill. Be very very careful. No guarantee.

Oh no!!! :eek: (at the soldering pictures)

HCx

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
i salute you for being so serious about this undervolting business you took a soldering iron to your MBP. :eek:

wish we had a undervolting solution for the SNB MBP's. i want the screen size, but i don't need quad core, rip your face off power.

where's my MBA15 Apple!?

canhaz

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
So no solution for the late 2011 Macbook Pro's?

I really can't stand this overheating issue. My mbp sounds like a friggen jet engine, I can't skype over the racket it's making.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.