Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pattoniscool

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
I use a d-link wireless router to network projectors with no internet access and have always been able to connect and stay connected the the wireless router with my ipod touch. Now that I have the iphone 3g, it connects to the wireless router and then dissapears and 3g shows up instead of the wireless bars. I,m thinking the iphone is always looking for an internet connection, if I go into the wifi settings, there is a checkmark by my network that I want but it does not stay active. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
I use a d-link wireless router to network projectors with no internet access and have always been able to connect and stay connected the the wireless router with my ipod touch. Now that I have the iphone 3g, it connects to the wireless router and then dissapears and 3g shows up instead of the wireless bars. I,m thinking the iphone is always looking for an internet connection, if I go into the wifi settings, there is a checkmark by my network that I want but it does not stay active. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've got the same problem with my old iPhone. Have you figured out the problem yet?

Rmurphy36

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
I have a new 3G and it worked fine the first couple of weeks but now it won't stay on WiFi through an ATT router. By turning 3G on and off and pushing other network buttons I can get it on, but it switches off after a minute.

Rmurphy36

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
Problem Solved

I found the answer to my problem with staying connected at Apple Support. It said when all else fails reset the internet connection. Click on Settings, then click on General, go to the bottom and click on Reset and then click on Reset Network Settings. It takes awhile but it solved my problem.

zerointeractive

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
I found the answer to my problem with staying connected at Apple Support. It said when all else fails reset the internet connection. Click on Settings, then click on General, go to the bottom and click on Reset and then click on Reset Network Settings. It takes awhile but it solved my problem.

Great! It works on my IPhone 3G (8GB no sim-lock) bought just one week ago (in Italy).. it reboots and wifi work well.

Thank you RMurphy36!

th0rn

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2008

may i guess that this should also work for the touch? i was using my wifi connection at home today & it dropped while i was in the middle of something. my ipod touch was recalcitrant about finding it, so i 'restored'. which i would not be able to do while traveling. i have the 32gb model. even though it's presently only about 1/3 full, 'restoring' takes a *while*.

it's the second time in 2 months that the little gem has forgotten about the home network. i'd heard that one needs to be sure to turn wifi off before hitting the power switch; but as i said, today it dropped out while i was actively using the connection, which tells me that it's not quite as predictable as that.

Rmurphy36

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
Since my last post I have never had anymore problems with my network. It is worth trying on your Touch. I never turn my iPhone off unless a program freezes and needs resetting and when I do I never turn the wi-fi off first and have not had any problems. Good luck.

mfogelquist

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2009
Still a problem with 3.0

After I upgraded to 3.0 my iPhone started dropping my wifi connection. It had never happened before. I tried your suggestion and it worked like a charm. Nice! So I guess the problem spans multiple firmware updates.

Jsand8276

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2010
Problems

I try to connect to my home network using my iPod touch and it only stays connected for a split second, then it disconnects. I haven't tried to connect to any other networks yet, but I'd like some help with this problem please.

Scoobys.Blues

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
Thanks

I joined this forum today Just to say thanks for being here and thanks Rmurphy36 for posting what you found. It worked for me.
Same problem with ipod touch version 4.2.1
It connected to my home network after putting my key and it worked for a few weeks. Then it stopped working, It would connect with a check mark shown then seconds later not connected. After that would happen it just would not connect at all until I clicked "Forget this network" but that only got me back to the disconnect in seconds problem.
I have been wrestling with this for a few weeks now! So thank you, going into settings>general>reset>reset network settings worked for me!

wilsonmjacky

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
England, Yorkshire
Thanks

Ditto scoobys.blue

I joined this forum today Just to say thanks for being here and thanks Rmurphy36 for posting what you found. It worked for me.
Same problem with ipod touch version 4.2.1
It connected to my home network after putting my key and it worked for a few weeks. Then it stopped working, It would connect with a check mark shown then seconds later not connected. After that would happen it just would not connect at all until I clicked "Forget this network" but that only got me back to the disconnect in seconds problem.
I have been wrestling with this for a few weeks now! So thank you, going into settings>general>reset>reset network settings worked for me!

gatomo

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
Thanks Rmurphy36,

it works, my iphone 3g ver 4.2.1 bb 05.15.04 did not remember wifi pw after being j/b & unlocked by ultrasn0w

redbyname

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
MINNESOTA
Costing me money

The problem being - it logs off my home wifi so much that my cell phone bill is higher than it should be. I will try the fix above, but how do I make sure that my phone isn't conecting to ATT as the default?

ubuntusr

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
WiFi Fix iPhone 3G - Thank You

Rmurphy36's post is over three years old now, but his fix still works. Joined the forums here just to confirm this and say thanks if the poster is still around. My wife just bought an iPhone 3G last month. The iPhone worked on wireless in our home for the first two and a half weeks, maybe three. Then it starting dropping the WiFi connection all the time, or not connecting to WiFi at all. Even resetting the wireless router would only work sometimes and only for a bit. I "Googled" the problem and stumbled across this forum thread. The fix is easy and doesn't mess with anything else on the phone that we could tell.
1. Settings 2. General 3. Reset 4. Reset Network - No problems in days

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.