Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R3ptar99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
PLEASE HELP my mid-2010 13 inch MBP has the service battery alert pop up!

What I want to know is what exactly caused this and what can I do this to fix it? How much will it cost? (BTW my one year manufacture's warranty just conveniently ran out)

Could it be that the battery is defective or due to my own use?
(Overheating? I have a Speck Plastic case put on and it rests on my bed or my lap when in use. Fans make get pretty loud when games are like running WOW or The Sims 3 or when playing a movie. Not knowing any better for the first few months it was for the most part always on charge).

Speck Case:
http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-See-Thru-MacBooks-Aluminum/dp/B002EL4M98/re f=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1315768932&sr=8-4

I have had the macbook pro for 13 months and according to coconut battery the capacity is at 77% and 415 cycles.

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Manufacturer: SMP
Device Name: bq20z451
Pack Lot Code: 0
PCB Lot Code: 0
Firmware Version: 201
Hardware Revision: 000a
Cell Revision: 165
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 2133
Fully Charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4472
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 415
Condition: Service Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 2657
Voltage (mV): 11993

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Wake on AC Change: No
Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake on LAN: Yes
Current Power Source: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0
RestartAfterKernelPanic: 157680000
Battery Power:
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
ID: 0x0100
Wattage (W): 60
Revision: 0x0000
Family: 0x0085

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
PLEASE HELP my mid-2010 13 inch MBP has the service battery alert pop up!

What I want to know is what exactly caused this and what can I do this to fix it? How much will it cost? (BTW my one year manufacture's warranty just conveniently ran out)

Could it be that the battery is defective or due to my own use?
(Overheating? I have a Speck Plastic case put on and it rests on my bed or my lap when in use. Fans make get pretty loud when games are like running WOW or The Sims 3 or when playing a movie. Not knowing any better for the first few months it was for the most part always on charge).

Speck Case:
http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-See-Thru-MacBooks-Aluminum/dp/B002EL4M98/re f=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1315768932&sr=8-4

I have had the macbook pro for 13 months and according to coconut battery the capacity is at 77% and 415 cycles.

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Manufacturer: SMP
Device Name: bq20z451
Pack Lot Code: 0
PCB Lot Code: 0
Firmware Version: 201
Hardware Revision: 000a
Cell Revision: 165
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 2133
Fully Charged: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4472
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 415
Condition: Service Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 2657
Voltage (mV): 11993

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Wake on LAN: Yes
Current Power Source: Yes
PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0
Battery Power:
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
ID: 0x0100
Wattage (W): 60
Revision: 0x0000
Family: 0x0085

Service battery only means your battery health has gone down beyond 75%. Meaning that the battery can only hold 75% of it's original full capacity. It's nothing to worry about, and has nothing to do with your usage, and everything to do with the normal aging of the battery.

As the stuff you copied points out, your battery has 415 cycle counts, which is a lot for a battery, the fact that it's only just started to give you the service battery means that you are taking decent care of your battery as it is.

You do use the battery a whole lot though, for a barely over 1 year old computer.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
The warning as snaky said comes only because your battery health dropped below the 75% threshold. It has nothing to do with with any new problems with your battery. One of the later snowleopard patches added that notification. Before that, even if the battery dropped below 75%, the user was never notified.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Based on apple's claims of 80% after 1000 cycles, I would have to think they will replace it for you if you have apple care for sure, and quite possibly if you don't.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
Not knowing any better for the first few months it was for the most part always on charge.

There's nothing wrong with leaving your MBP on the charger most of the time... as long as you use the battery occasionally.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
There's nothing wrong with leaving your MBP on the charger most of the time... as long as you use the battery occasionally.

Indeed, there's nothing wrong with leaving it plugged in all the time so long as it's not months on end.

Try and find GGJStudios' Battery FAQ through the forum search, it'll tell you what you need to know about your battery. You'll realize you have given it way more thought than it deserves, most likely.

B2k1977

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
Service battery only means your battery health has gone down beyond 75%. Meaning that the battery can only hold 75% of it's original full capacity. It's nothing to worry about, and has nothing to do with your usage, and everything to do with the normal aging of the battery.

As the stuff you copied points out, your battery has 415 cycle counts, which is a lot for a battery, the fact that it's only just started to give you the service battery means that you are taking decent care of your battery as it is.

You do use the battery a whole lot though, for a barely over 1 year old computer.

My Computer is 3 years old, only has 131 cycles and is shot. But I leave it plugged in day and night. I basically treat it like an iMac. I was going to buy the DIY replacement kit from OWC for 100 bucks and see how that works. Installation looks super simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.