Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sodium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
I got a Samsung’s 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot from Verizon. So I did a speed test on my iPod touch 4g and Asus netbook.

I went to speedtest.net through my netbook and get an impressive 20.12 Mbps download speed.

On my iPod touch 4g I used the speedtest.net app and get only 9.17 Mbps download speed.

Apparently iPod Touch download speed is much slower than the netbook. Is it normal? Why is iPod Touch much slower than the netbook? How fast can iPod touch possibly go over wifi?

Micjose

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
Portland, OR
I got a Samsung’s 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot from Verizon. So I did a speed test on my iPod touch 4g and Asus netbook.

I went to speedtest.net through my netbook and get an impressive 20.12 Mbps download speed.

On my iPod touch 4g I used the speedtest.net app and get only 9.17 Mbps download speed.

Apparently iPod Touch download speed is much slower than the netbook. Is it normal? Why is iPod Touch much slower than the netbook? How fast can iPod touch possibly go over wifi?

My ipod touch 3G has reached 10.8Mbps and it has 802.11b/g unlike the 4g that has 802.11b/g/n which should be faster than mine..

bag

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
15-21

im on my itouch and i ran a test from speedtest . net and got around20-21 consistantly im on an ipod touch 4g

Grootstyr

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
It does depend on what Wireless settings you use. WPA2/AES requires a lot more cpu power than WEP for example.
On my iPod 1G it makes a whole lot of difference whether I use the WEP or WPA2/AES encryption. (Think of a difference between 15 and 8Mbps)

Not when it's wireless.

When using speedtest.net and its alternatives your home connection does matter. If you are having a 120Mbps home connection you can see the full potential of your Wireless access point. But when your home connection is only pushing 5Mbps, your speedtest.net will never be higher than 5Mbps while your Wireless access point may provide you with more than 5Mbps locally.

Solution 1: get faster internet
Solution 2: use lan-based speed testing.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
When using speedtest.net and its alternatives your home connection does matter. If you are having a 120Mbps home connection you can see the full potential of your Wireless access point. But when your home connection is only pushing 5Mbps, your speedtest.net will never be higher than 5Mbps while your Wireless access point may provide you with more than 5Mbps locally.

Solution 1: get faster internet
Solution 2: use lan-based speed testing.

No, a MiFi requires no wired connection. It's just the wireless device interacting with the MiFi over-the-air. No wires involved.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
WPA2/AES requires a lot more cpu power than WEP for example.

The WLAN hardware (RaLink, Broadcom and others) encrypts/decrypts data streams (RC4 for WEP, AES for WPA/WPA2). These chips contain also hardware units to compute CRC16, CRC32 and some cryptographic hash functions. So the speed does not depend on the CPU of the system.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
I have slow internet so about 4 mbps download and 0.3 upload. It seems speedy though when browsing the web on it.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
I have gotten over 25mbps on speedtest.net on my 4th gen iPod touch. The 4th gen iOS devices can connect at a top speed of 65mbps over wireless-n so that isn't your problem. I am not sure what the problem is with your device but one thought is are you sure both the computer and iPod tests are being taken on the same server? For me, the closest server won't go over about 15mbps which is what the iPod always selects but my computer picks a farther server, but that one can handle my whole 25mbps connection.

bag

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
I have gotten over 25mbps on speedtest.net on my 4th gen iPod touch. The 4th gen iOS devices can connect at a top speed of 65mbps over wireless-n so that isn't your problem. I am not sure what the problem is with your device but one thought is are you sure both the computer and iPod tests are being taken on the same server? For me, the closest server won't go over about 15mbps which is what the iPod always selects but my computer picks a farther server, but that one can handle my whole 25mbps connection.

how do you know the full speed?

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
This page also applies to the 4th gen iPod touch except for the 5ghz bits.

http://www.sniffwifi.com/2010/04/apple-i-love-ya-but-youre-shady-another.html

I can also verify that the iPod will never go above 65mbps with the now banned wififofum application. It showes the connected rate and has never gone above 65mbps with any wireless n router at any range.

no it doesn't the ipad and ipod touch are totally different, they use completely different wifi chips, so that article can only be applied to the iPad not the ipod touch
link and link

on a 100Mbit connection through wifi N I could only ever get 13.5Mbit, you can force a server on the speedtest in the settings, do that and post a picture of the speedtest here (you take a picture by pressing the home and sleep button together) I want proof that it can achieve over what I got - pics or it didn't happen as the internet says.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
no it doesn't the ipad and ipod touch are totally different, they use completely different wifi chips, so that article can only be applied to the iPad not the ipod touch

Yes they use different chips, but both only support 5/6 ODFM coding so this article still applies.

Also here are several results over 13.5mbps for you.....

Attachments

• IMG_0691.PNG
    IMG_0691.PNG
    323.5 KB · Views: 138

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
On my FiOS connection, my MacBook Pro gets 20mbps. My iPod touch gets about 10, half of the max. I think ~10 is the limit it can do.

chirilla

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
I have read the thread here (and many others....)....still not clear to me how to INCREASE the speed over WiFi for my two sons' 4th gen ipod touches. I can get consistent 50Mbps on my MacBook and iPad with a Time Capsule base station (new). The ipods will NEVER go beyond ~4Mbps and usually hover around the 1Mbps mark....

BTW...closed all apps, restarted, etc....tried all the normal things to no avail....

Any advice would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks
In
Advance!

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
I was curious too, and just tested my 4G and 5G ipod touch.
This is over wifi (in Japan)

4G was 22.40Mbps down, 24.75 up ping 63ms
5G was 39.35Mbps down, 30.24 up ping 38ms

As you can see the 5G is considerably faster but you should be getting faster than you are doing with your 4G, it is certainly capable of it.

I am not sure why yours is so slow..

rnaodm

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
maybe the ipod touch 4g has a wireless g reciever which as a max of 10Mb/s

Like how if you have a fast connection but and older wireless g router, your max wireless speed will only be 10m its just the hardware limitation

Edit: NM it has wireless N, Not sure then man sorry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.