Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulFXH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Using a new MacBook (C2D, 2.16 GHz) but am multibooting with number of Linux OSes.
To make OS X writable from Linux, I need to remove journaling from the OS X partition.
So, I go to Disk Utility and here's the info available about my Mac OS X partition:
Mount Point : / Capacity : 113.0 GB (121,332,826,112 Bytes)
Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Available : 54.2 GB (58,217,304,064 Bytes)
Owners Enabled : Yes Used : 58.8 GB (63,115,522,048 Bytes)
Number of Folders : 115,197 Number of Files : 436,726
OK, so it looks like it's journaled so I should be able to disable journaling, right?
So, now I go to File and look for a Disable Journaling option. But it's not there. What's there is Enable Journaling but even this is grayed out.
Would appreciate some advice on how to turn off journaling.
Thanks
Paul

PaulFXH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
OK, just found out how to get a Disable Journaling option. You need to hold the Option (or Alt) key while clicking on File.

homunq

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
Thanks

This is an insanely bad interface, and a useful answer, so here are some search terms to help people find this post. Journaling enabled, journaling on, turn off journaling, osx lion.

FurryToes

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
This is an insanely bad interface, and a useful answer, so here are some search terms to help people find this post. Journaling enabled, journaling on, turn off journaling, osx lion.
Just to clarify, the answer is to hold down Option while clicking on the "File Menu".
I was looking all over for a button or a tab that said "File" - it's the "File Menu". It's so strange it bears very accurate clarification ;-)

gskiskiski

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
I found this great guide to formatting a drive - even external backup.
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/formatting_hd_mac_stone.html (2011)

Should be able to simply select the Volume, then [command J] will toggle journaling.
Maybe the OP had the entire drive selected instead of the volume.

This was ultimately the info I needed... thanks everyone for chiming in on this... Mac to Linux (writable) is often difficult to deal with, and you all nailed this one on the head for me.

estutmirleid

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
I found this great guide to formatting a drive - even external backup.
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/formatting_hd_mac_stone.html (2011)

Should be able to simply select the Volume, then [command J] will toggle journaling.
Maybe the OP had the entire drive selected instead of the volume.

Testing shows that this information may no longer be valid in Mountain Lion, so I thought I'd post a working solution. I'm afraid it involves the Terminal and Disk Utility together, and requires Administrator privileges.

1) Launch Disk Utility, select the partition in the sidebar from which you wish to remove Journaling.
2) Get Info… on this partition (File > Get Info or Command-i)
3) Note the Disk Identifier value, of the type diskXsY, where X and Y are numbers
4) Now, unmount this partition by clicking the Unmount button in the toolbar
5) Launch Terminal, and type the following:
sudo diskutil disableJournal force diskXsY
Replace diskXsY with the value you obtained in (3), then hit Enter.
6) Authenticate with the login password of the Admin user you're using - NB: nothing will appear as you type the password: this is normal.
7) You may receive the following error message:
"An error occurred journaling the file system: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-69860)" - ignore it.
8) Safely eject the whole disk containing the partition you just disabled journaling on, and then re-attach it and mount the partition you just modified.

Journaling should now be permanently disabled on the partition in question. You can verify this by typing mount in the Terminal and hitting Enter, or by Getting Info in Disk Utility (as in (2) above).

Phew, what a hullabaloo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.