Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

deusex-announce-main.png

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is coming to the Mac this winter, according to Feral Interactive, a publishing company dedicated to bringing game titles to the Mac:
It's just emerged from the Feral laboratories that the Mac has been wheeled into the operating theatre for an extreme gaming enhancement with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the critically-acclaimed prequel to the legendary Deus Ex.

Players control ex-SWAT commander Adam Jensen, who is forced to undergo cybernetic augmentation and thrown into the heart of a global conspiracy. He finds himself in a world where only those who adapt survive.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one of the biggest games of 2011, released for the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3. Pricing, system requirements and delivery mechanism will be announced later this year.

Hat tip to ZDNet

Article Link: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coming to Mac This Winter

Last edited by a moderator:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Fantastic news for the Mac. This is a AAA title and it's getting it in a reasonable time frame. Mac gaming seems to be on the rise despite Apple, not because of them.

kjjnk

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
And like all other of Feral's Mac ports it disappointingly won't be available on Steam.

lordjonny

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Agreed, top news and good effort by Feral. However, as much as Apple refuse to really give themselves to the gaming world I can't blame them as the competition from Bootcamp and consoles just makes it financially unviable.

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Fantastic news for the Mac. This is a AAA title and it's getting it in a reasonable time frame. Mac gaming seems to be on the rise despite Apple, not because of them.

Apple seems to be becoming more aware of the fact that people want to game on their computers though. OpenGL 3.2 is finally available in Lion. It's hard to say where they'll go from here, but I have high hopes they'll get at the very least to 3.3, and maybe 4.0. They essentially went from 2.1 to 3.2, which they've never done before, so at this point it's anyone's guess.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
If I purchased the game on Steam, will I be able to play on Mac without repurchasing? It seems the answer is probably that I'd have to repurchase the game (how else if Feral Interactive going to make money?) but thought I'd ask anyway.

paige.findley

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2008
texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Uh? Is that Human Evolution, or Revolution as the image reads?

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
If I purchased the game on Steam, will I be able to play on Mac without repurchasing? It seems the answer is probably that I'd have to repurchase the game (how else if Feral Interactive going to make money?) but thought I'd ask anyway.

Any SteamPlay game (mac/PC compatible) is instantly available for your macs if you downloaded the PC version. It does seem odd, but that's how Valve decided to roll that feature out.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Any SteamPlay game (mac/PC compatible) is instantly available for your macs if you downloaded the PC version. It does seem odd, but that's how Valve decided to roll that feature out.

But do we know if Feral is going to support Steamplay here, or even if they're going to make it available on Steam at all?

(sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm pretty ignorant about Steam)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
The game uses Steamworks on the PC side, so it's likely there will be a Steam version. However, this doesn't guarantee it'll be SteamPlay (I hope so--I already bought the PC version and won't buy it again).

Of course, Aspyr sells a steamworks (and multiplayer)-less version of Civ V on the App Store, so Feral could do the same. That would mean axing the achievements though.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
The game uses Steamworks on the PC side, so it's likely there will be a Steam version. However, this doesn't guarantee it'll be SteamPlay (I hope so--I already bought the PC version and won't buy it again).

Of course, Aspyr sells a steamworks (and multiplayer)-less version of Civ V on the App Store, so Feral could do the same. That would mean axing the achievements though.

Thanks for that. That helps me make sense of it.

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
After beating it on the PC, I spent a bit of effort trying to get it to run on my Mac... I tried WINE and even Parallels. It only ran in Parallels, but the performance is less than ideal. Out of desperation, I even tried it out on Onlive. Yuck.

I liked the game a lot, and honestly, I'll pay for it again if they don't use Steamplay (which they likely won't).

Amazing news... I just wish they'd give the same treatment to bf3 and swtor.

mountains

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
Amazing news... I just wish they'd give the same treatment to bf3 and swtor.

Amen. The whole "PC only" idea seems a bit antiquated right now; there's as many Macs as PCs on my college campus, so surely there's a market out there.

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Amen. The whole "PC only" idea seems a bit antiquated right now; there's as many Macs as PCs on my college campus, so surely there's a market out there.

Agreed. Sure, Apple could put in a bit more effort (OpenGL 4, pay publishers to port their games in exchange for a percentage of sales, make something like an iMac with a desktop gfx card, etc) and I hope we get there one day... but I think we're still years away.

If Apple was a bit more pro-gaming, it'd help too... at times, it feels like we're all alone out here :)

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Great news! I hope the game gets 5.1/7.1 surround support, via the thunderbolt/ATI HDMI output.

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Glad to see this.

The game is EXCELLENT (been running it in Bootcamp), and a worthy sequel to the original (we'll pretend the second game, Invisible War, never happened). It's one of the finest games created in several years, and compared to Mac titles, DX:HR may well be one of the best games released in the past decade. Anyone with even a PASSING interest should be excited to pick this up when it launches! You'll love it.

(Can you tell I'm a fan? NO game anywhere has ever matched the original's depth and potential, so this is really exciting.)

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Agreed. Sure, Apple could put in a bit more effort (OpenGL 4, pay publishers to port their games in exchange for a percentage of sales, make something like an iMac with a desktop gfx card, etc) and I hope we get there one day... but I think we're still years away.

If Apple was a bit more pro-gaming, it'd help too... at times, it feels like we're all alone out here :)

Apple is a hardware company and they can't (or will not) compete on price. A pro-gaming attitude would not help Apple earn more money (i.e. people will keep buying gaming PCs because of the price differential).

robertpolson

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Will it work on Macbook Air

I have a bad feeling that it will not work on Macbook Air 2011. Windows version did not work on my air 2011.

Mirrors

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
Earth
I installed Windows(Bootcamp) and it runs perfect so it'll be great to not boot into windows to play it :)

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
But will it be a native or cider port, this is the question. Maybe if more titles start creeping onto the platform, Apple will be more interested in bringing the OpenGL up to speed, maybe they should license DirectX from MS :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.