Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ividify

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
I've got a 2010 MacBook Pro and today I just noticed its running really hot. When I put my fingers about the brightness keys, the aluminum body is very hot. What is causing this?

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Open Activity Monitor (Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor). Sort processes by CPU usage.

There one with the biggest CPU % is your culprit.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
depends on the program. you really gotta be more specific than that if you want real help... what do you do with it? what do you have open? what are your temp sensors reading?

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
I've got a 2010 MacBook Pro and today I just noticed its running really hot. When I put my fingers about the brightness keys, the aluminum body is very hot. What is causing this?

That's where the exhaust fan is, so it's the hottest point. Unless you have some actual temps to share, I wouldn't worry.

ividify

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
I would share my temps but I have iStat installed and it reads my temps wrong because it says my CPU is below freezing apparently lol.

It will run hot at random times when im just web browsing. That's the only application I have open currently with 2 tabs and its running hot.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's quite normal, as aluminum conducts heat very well. Your Mac is not overheating. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor).

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
I would share my temps but I have iStat installed and it reads my temps wrong because it says my CPU is below freezing apparently lol.

It will run hot at random times when im just web browsing. That's the only application I have open currently with 2 tabs and its running hot.

if your sensors are genuinely reading the temps wrong, that's something you need to get fixed...

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
Basic question I know, but are you using your MBP on your lap or on a table top? It can make a difference....

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
All depends on if you can force your video card off. If go into integrated mode with gfxstatus, then sure, it runs completely cool. If not, then u're gona have two hard boiled eggs.

Shandidy

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
Calgary, Canada
sandy bridge macbook pro overheating issue(i5,17)

i bought in april 2011 macbook pro 13 inch, 2.3GHZ core i5, 8gb DDR3, and the temps on it is very hot, it idles at 60C and under load is 95C i find this really really hot, is that normal for a macbook pro to be that hot???

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i bought in april 2011 macbook pro 13 inch, 2.3GHZ core i5, 8gb DDR3, and the temps on it is very hot, it idles at 60C and under load is 95C i find this really really hot, is that normal for a macbook pro to be that hot???
Read my earlier post.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Since it's a 2010 I'm guessing it's used? I'd highly suggest removing the back cover and using a can of compressed air to blow any dusts out of the heatsink grill. After I did this my idle temps dropped by 10C.

Shandidy

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
Calgary, Canada
thanks to GGJstudios for the info, i did read your post and i reset the smc, i guess it helped abit, i have a screen shot of my cpu temps in a stress test, cpu still reach 95C under load, i just wanna make sure that is normal, also after the reset of smc it idles now around 45C to 60C, so it is a little bit cooler but not much.

-------------------
macbook pro 2011 core i5

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-13 at 10.14.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-13 at 10.14.58 PM.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,118

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
thanks to GGJstudios for the info, i did read your post and i reset the smc, i guess it helped abit, i have a screen shot of my cpu temps in a stress test, cpu still reach 95C under load, i just wanna make sure that is normal, also after the reset of smc it idles now around 45C to 60C, so it is a little bit cooler but not much.

-------------------
macbook pro 2011 core i5

Looks perfectly normal to me if you're running something processor intensive.

Oh and by the way, if you want to list your computers, edit your signature on your forum profile, don't make a line out of underscores and write under it.

Shandidy

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
Calgary, Canada
Looks perfectly normal to me if you're running something processor intensive.

Oh and by the way, if you want to list your computers, edit your signature on your forum profile, don't make a line out of underscores and write under it.

thanks for the heads up, just to let you know i left my macbook on all night yesterday and idles around 65-70C, but if thats normal i am good with that, but the aluminum enclosure for the macbook pro, gives an impression that the macbook will run cooler but it dosent seem to be, also i did a lot of research a lot of the macbook pro owner are saying it is running hot i guess it is the design, but the operating temps on apple web site under tech pecs shows the Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F
(10° to 35° C), thats why i was wondering because it is conflicting with the website info.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
thanks for the heads up, just to let you know i left my macbook on all night yesterday and idles around 65-70C, but if thats normal i am good with that, but the aluminum enclosure for the macbook pro, gives an impression that the macbook will run cooler but it dosent seem to be, also i did a lot of research a lot of the macbook pro owner are saying it is running hot i guess it is the design, but the operating temps on apple web site under tech pecs shows the Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F
(10° to 35° C), thats why i was wondering because it is conflicting with the website info.

It could still be cooler though. Mine's idling at 45*C, and I'm currently in the middle east with no A/C (prob. around 80* ambient)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
... the operating temps on apple web site under tech pecs shows the Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F
Those are external (room) temperatures, not internal operating temps.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
so do you think it should run a little bit cooler than this ?, because mine doing nothing i mean nothing is idling around 65C

You're within spec, so you don't have to do anything. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so if it were me, I'd reapply the thermal paste with something better to make sure it's as good as can be. I really enjoy tinkering with computers though, so it's not something I'd recommend for anyone.

Shandidy

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
Calgary, Canada
Those are external (room) temperatures, not internal operating temps.

ohh, that make since, really thanks for the explanation bleave it or not who told me these info was an apple tech when i called last nigh lol, he told me your notebook shoudent exeeds these temps that are on the apple website :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.