Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cappers

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
I can only see that it converts to .mp4 or .mkv?
I am no expert by far, so I could be missing something.
I see several posts referring to handbrake and avi files

I am desparate to be able to convert a DVD or movie date files to .avi.
Any suggestions or help?? :confused:

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I can only see that it converts to .mp4 or .mkv?
I am no expert by far, so I could be missing something.
I see several posts referring to handbrake and avi files

I am desparate to be able to convert a DVD or movie date files to .avi.
Any suggestions or help?? :confused:

You can try iFFmpeg. HandBrake does no longer support the AVI file format, because it is very old (from 1992) and very limited, compared to MP4 and MKV.

DivX and Xvid are both MPEG-4 Part 2 encoders, and are at least 4 times less efficient than MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC/H.264) encoders. So if your hardware can decode H.264 within either MP4 or MKV files, then use the current version of HandBrake and the x264 encoder.

cappers

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
You can try iFFmpeg. HandBrake does no longer support the AVI file format, because it is very old (from 1992) and very limited, compared to MP4 and MKV.

DivX and Xvid are both MPEG-4 Part 2 encoders, and are at least 4 times less efficient than MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC/H.264) encoders. So if your hardware can decode H.264 within either MP4 or MKV files, then use the current version of HandBrake and the x264 encoder.

Thanks for explaining that that is very helpful I will try iffmpeg.
Only real reason why I want/need to use avi, is that my DVD player can read avi files and convenient to watch them from a usb stick in it.
Hopefully the world will soon catch up with MPEG-4 Part 10 and read H.264 encoded files mp4 or mkv!.

thanks again, v useful info

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.