Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chefwong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I'm thinking *FTP* is the way to go...but I'd love to use GoodReader on my iPad to keep a organized *sync* of all folders and everything that is dumped to it. The bigger goal is to have it sync whether I'm in the office or out of the office.

This way, I can say, John, please drop XYZ of serverfolder X (in theory this would be the folder the FTP is serving) and then whether I'm on the LAN...or off the internal network, I can *sync* and see files for review.

Just curious how ya'll are using GoodReader to Sync

iThinman

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Not all work places are real keen on the idea of external hosting services for their confidential data thanks though.

I copy a set of my main share files to my iPad with goodreader sync client. Then, I've been pulling files as-needed, FTP, from that same share. Since I do fairly limited editing of data right now on here, I manually place back (FTP, email to myself and move at desktop or send to someone else) any files i do modify on an as-needed basis.

I haven't had time to play with it long, but I was able to connect UNC to the goodreader folder when i first played with it. If I can get it to map a windows drive letter to the folder, should be able to use RichCopy to do some auto synchronization, but i just haven't played with it yet.

chefwong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
UNC is fine but to KISS....

The envisionment is

LAN share \\server\folder share (FTP login would be married to this)

This will serve as a easy folder where I can have any employee drop whatever, if not keep a organized folder structure.

From there, from a usability standpoint, I would just *sync*. Bear in mind I do not have Ipad or Goodreader in hand, but this is my ~envisionment~ of how it would operate. IF I can make this work in the following scenario, this would make most sense from a day2day operating setup...

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
So is the goal to just have files sync, or to have them sync in real time?

The option I'm using right now is Goodreader on iPad + Chronosync on Mac.

I have a sync file setup on my Mac, pointed at a folder on my drives and pointed at good reader when it's wirelessly mounted, and I'm able to bidirectionally sync between the two. Works great.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002

I have a sync file setup on my Mac, pointed at a folder on my drives and pointed at good reader when it's wirelessly mounted, and I'm able to bidirectionally sync between the two. Works great.

This sounds extremely intriguing to me. Please elaborate :)

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
It's a little wonky, but it works well for me.

I basically do all this so I can have decent syncing between my Dropbox folder and my iPad. I realize there is a Dropbox app, but I hate that it doesn't store my files locally.

In any case, first thing to do is hit the little Wifi icon in Goodreader which will bring this dialog up.

245dp3l.png

The dialog tells you the information you'll need to connect your iPad as a wireless drive. You can do this from a browser as well, but I just mount mine. So you'll kit CMD K on your Mac, type in the address, and mount the iPad.

30j41mu.png

You'll only have to do this mounting process on your Mac the first time, after that Chronosync will mount it for you as long as you have WiFi sharing mode on in Goodreader.

The way I've got my syncing set up, I have my Dropbox folder on the left, this is considered the source. I have the syncing set up to be bidirectional, meaning changes will go both ways, and I've got the root folder of my iPad mounted as my target.

118g7ki.png

Unfortunately Chronosync doesn't offer real time synchronization, and it isn't automated, you'll have to sit down at your Mac with your iPad and initiate the sync.

Once you do so you'll see Chronosync going through and analyzing files, if it detects a change, it synchronizes the file, pretty straight forward.

2eutn6a.png

After it's done, it'll tell you how many files it has analyzed and the amount of data it processed.

b4g6sk.png

Though this method isn't ideal, it works well for me. Before I step out I do a quick synchronization, and once I get home I synchronize again.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I SSH into GoodReader's folder and transfer files that way... because with SSH, I can create/manage folders at the same time as file transfering. Works like a charm. :)

(Note: this is just for file transfers.... I don't bother syncing)

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland
It's a little wonky, but it works well for me.

I basically do all this so I can have decent syncing between my Dropbox folder and my iPad. I realize there is a Dropbox app, but I hate that it doesn't store my files locally.

Actually, it does! When you mark any file as a "favorite", Dropbox saves a local copy for offline access.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
Actually, it does! When you mark any file as a "favorite", Dropbox saves a local copy for offline access.

Perhaps I should rephrase...it doesn't store all my documents locally. I've got 1500+ documents in my Dropbox folder, if I'm out and about somewhere and I'm off wifi and need some specific document I don't have favorited, I'm boned.

@Dorkington
Why don't you just mount Goodreader's folder like a drive? Makes more sense than SSHing to me.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
THANK YOU iCheddar for the extremely easy to follow walkthrough!

I may use this set up until Apple rolls out something robust that "just works" to auto sync folders bt a Mac and an iPad.

For me (using the iPad as my primary computer as I do) the Mac-side storage would be just back up/emergency and/or iPad capacity overflow. But I really want this capability.

thefiction

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Real Time Syncing

Great app, but is there no option to enable syncing in real time? I have more than 50 files that I sync on a regular basis. Most of the time the files are uploaded by my coworkers throughout the day so I will have no idea if there are updated files unless I press the sync button at random times.

Does anyone know of a feature to have it sync instantly and automatically as files are changed? (Push updates, if you will).

I apologize if this was answered in another thread already, but I'm having a hard time finding an answer. Thanks!

EDIT: I use Box.net on a Windows 7 PC to sync with GoodReader.

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Great app, but is there no option to enable syncing in real time? I have more than 50 files that I sync on a regular basis. Most of the time the files are uploaded by my coworkers throughout the day so I will have no idea if there are updated files unless I press the sync button at random times.

Does anyone know of a feature to have it sync instantly and automatically as files are changed? (Push updates, if you will).

I apologize if this was answered in another thread already, but I'm having a hard time finding an answer. Thanks!

EDIT: I use Box.net on a Windows 7 PC to sync with GoodReader.

Seriously? The thread is 1 year old.

Now (GoodReader version 3.8.0):

The latest version of GoodReader adds the ability for you to sync your files with remote servers! Now you can:
• sync with iDisk, Dropbox, SugarSync and any WebDAV, FTP or SFTP server
• sync entire folders or individual files separately

thefiction

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Seriously? The thread is 1 year old.

Now (GoodReader version 3.8.0):

Yes, and still relevant. The latest version of GoodReader does not sync in real time as far as I can tell. Does anyone else not find it annoying to press the sync button every time?

vicky-obee

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
Help pls

Hi I am Using GoodReader to use the Remote Sync function..
This function works very well when i have to sync a complete folder ( root and sub folders )
How ever a MUCH NEEDED FUNCTION is SELECTIVE sync...

Lets say
I have a Root Folder with 10 Sub folders..( each sub folder with diff data )
How do i get this to work so that i can sync ONLY 1 SUB FOLDER to update the data instead of updating all the folder data as the data volume is very large

EX
Nav Logs ( ROOT FOLDER )
London ( sub Folder 1 )
Hongkong ( sub Folder 2 )
Milan ( sub Folder 3 )
Tokyo ( sub folder 4 )
Russia ( sub Folder 5 )

Now all the sub Folders have NEW DATA EVERY day
but NOT all users would like to download ALL data in the sub folders

If user 1 wants to sync data in Sub Folder 3,,, he should have an option to Sync only Sub Folder 3 and NOT ALL the sub folders
Like wise if user 2 wants to Sync Sub Folder 5.. He should have this option

Can you help me as how do i configure this in Remote Sync ( GoodReader Function ) using Sugar Sync
cloud

I desperately need this to work
Regards
Vikas

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.