Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ever since Apple introduced its new Apple Thunderbolt Display, which should begin shipping in the very near future, users have been hoping for a product that offers the same docking station capabilities without the integrated monitor and $999 price tag.

belkin_thunderbolt_dock_1.jpg

Belkin may soon have an answer for those users, as DailyTech notes that the company is using this week's Intel Developer Forum to show off a new docking station offering essentially the exact same connectivity as found on the back of Apple's new display.
The Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock features three USB ports, a Thunderbolt port for daisy chaining, a Firewire port, and a GbE port. This is basically the same port setup that's found on the new 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display.

For Apple users looking for expanded port offerings via the Thunderbolt port and don't want to pay $999 for the functionality, the Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock will come in handy.
belkin_thunderbolt_dock_2.jpg

Unfortunately, there is no word yet on pricing or a launch date for the docking station, so users will have to wait for Belkin to release more details.

Article Link: Belkin Shows Off Upcoming Thunderbolt Express Dock

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Looks great!
I wonder if you could rest an MBP or MBA on the device.
Looks like you could

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
I have a need for this. Apple decided to pack their external ports too close together on the MB Pro. I'd love to get one cable and port to handle all the persistently plugged in peripherals I'd have: my displayport LED monitor, my Wacom Tablet, my FW800 external RAID, and a thumb drive.

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
How many of these can you daisy chain? You can have up to 6 TB units in a chain, iirc, but that doesn't found all the ports that each node enables?

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
This has been the one and only thing I have been looking forward to with TB. I can't wait until they release this! Just a question of pricing now.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I'd be far more interested in this if it had an SATA or eSATA port on the dock. :(

Still it is nice to see adapters finally start to come out. Let's hope it's not too pricey!

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Bit annoying to have the power lead on the front though, poking out all the time where you can see it/ where it gets in the way

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Putting the DC in jack right in the middle of all the other connectors was an interesting choice... Seems it would have been a little more functional to put the power jack where that cable wouldn't interfere...

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If they can keep the price to $100 then this will sell well. I was excited about the Sonnet ExpressCard 34 device, but not as much when the $150 price tag was announced. Remember, these things require a $50 cable to connect. $100+50 would justify Ethernet, FireWire, and a USB hub. $150+50 is still doable, but more than that would turn away a lot of people.

mtbgtr

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
are those usb 3.0 or usb 2.0 ports?

3-USB2 ports just like the new display. USB 3 ports are blue, not white. SO for me this is a BIG FAIL by Belkin unless its just not physically possible to go TB -> USB3.

If that's the case then TB itself is a big fail for users looking to hook cheap storage to TB.

It took years for Firewire drives to come down in price and they are still hard to find, sound familiar?

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
An adapter being a regular miniDisplay port to HDMI cable, correct? (I use an Asus PA246Q monitor).

----------

Most, if not all. Regardless, the bottleneck will be USB 2.0 on the laptop itself, it wouldnt make a difference to have USB 3.0 on the hub.

1. Yup
2. Not if it's going through the TB port

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.