Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2macman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
I just realized that I have tons of duplicate files on my year-old 27 iMac.

Many files have 5 or more duplicates. Some a dozen.

I have read good things about Singlemizer.

"Every solution creates a new problem."

1. Is getting a duplicate finding and deleting program a good idea?
2. Is Singlemizer the best for finding and deleting duplicate files?

Thanks

rj86

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Duplicates of what kind of files? Are you sure they're duplicates or do they just have the same name?

whoda

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
I personally use dupeGuru and have no issues with this. As always, be certain of what you are getting rid of.

2macman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
find and delete duplicates

RJ

I am pretty sure they are duplicates. In general, things I created on Word, Excel, InDesign, PDFs.

I thought it was impossible to save different files under the same name in the same program.

Anyway, when I search for a file, I will find 5 - 10 copies of it.

k.pavlikhin

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2010
Moscow, Russia
Hi, 2macman!

My name is Konstantin Pavlikhin, i'm the developer of Singlemizer.

I've accidentally found this thread (thanks to the Google! :)) and thought you possibly may be interested in today's offer. Singlemizer is on sale during this weekend and is available for just $4.99 on the Mac App Store. You can still try the full featured trial version from our website (http://minimalisticdev.com/singlemizer/singlemizer.app.zip) to make a decision.

Thanks for the interest! Should you have any questions feel free to contact us at feedback@minimalisticdev.com.

luisfelipetrigo

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
Delete duplicate files

Hi:
I have used Singlemizer and find it easy to use and effective in its purpose.
One piece I have problems with is defining the kind of files to look for since it is not as simple as indicating ".jpg", or "nef" (Nikon). Maybe I have not dedicated enough time to understand this part.

One word of caution, be careful about which files you delete.
I ran a compare last week and deleted all duplicates found and since my iMac does not want to start, all I get is the gray apple but nothing more. My guess is that I deleted a needed file from the hard disk that was duplicated in an external disk.
I am still trying to figure out this problem and will appreciate any help.

Regards
Luis Felipe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.