Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jae Hokes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Hey guys, I love playing Starcraft 2 on my 2011 27" iMac, but im really looking for other games that are as good as Starcraft 2, also is World of Warcraft as good as SC2 (I know they are different types of games) but if anyone has any other suggestions feel free to post them here, Also what is Diablo?

mogallin

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
Since you really seem to be interested in Blizzard's games may I suggest Warcraft 3 with expansion. Not as beautiful visually but still a very good game with IMHO a much better story to it.

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
But warcraft theres no "winning" right? Its just continuous

You're think of World of Warcraft. Before WoW there were 3 versions of warcraft, which WoW is roughly based off of.

Warcraft 3 is very good, but it doesn't install on Lion. You'll either have to install it on Snow Leopard or earlier OS, update it so that it's compatible with Lion, and then transfer it to your iMac, or wait for an update that may or may not ever come.

If you don't have Lion then disregard the last paragraph and give it a try. I definitely recommend trying the DotA maps. Very fun with a group of people.

There's also the Age of Empires series. I prefer AoE II, which doesn't run on Lion, to AoE III. But, both are good games.

whodareswins

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011
Age of empire 3 runs perfectly on Lion apart from the rare crash now and then. I play it a lot and asbolutley love it.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
The Command & Conquer series is another one that's supposed to be good. I believe there are Mac versions of that.

MacOCD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
The Command & Conquer series is another one that's supposed to be good. I believe there are Mac versions of that.

True. Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 is a great RTS, one of the best. Faster paced than SC2 but lots of fun. Warcraft 3 is a sub-par RTS in my opinion, but a lot of people like it.

Mercury

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2003
Command and Conquer 3 (not Red Alert) is a realistic-ish good choice from the C&C series and is available on mac.

Mercury

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2003
Suck? The game came out in 2007, so it can run well on most macs while looking good.
Command_and_Conquer_3_Tiberium_Wars-4.jpg

Another cracking title in the genre is Rome: Total War, with strong rumours of Empire maybe coming soon.

There are a number of others not mentioned, but as the previous poster said, for those getting new Macs, OS X Lion sadly killed them off. Some examples for Macs without Lion: Starcraft, AoE 2, Rise of Nations, Age of Mythology, to name a few.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It Good To See

That games are starting to appear in the Mac App store now, but they are still few and far between.

I know, Bootcamp, but it's not for me......In the opinion of you all do you think we will see true games like the FEAR series, appear for our macs?

There is so much more available for iPad, that I tend to use it as a gaming platform.....Come on devs. If you can do it with an iPad, you can do it for a mac:)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Nope

I can't imagine how awful the Empire: TW experience would be on anything but a Mac Pro. I can just see all of the "WILL EMPIRE TW RUN ON MY MACBOOK AIR????" threads... shudder.

But if you want a gaming laptop, you are going to pay out £££££ and it's still a compromise. I made the mistake a few years back of paying (nope no joke) £3000.00 for an asusrock so called gaming laptop.....I won't use the words i would use in company to describe the overall experience but suffice it to say it was bad....VERY bad.

But an iMac of my spec, and less SHOULD be a developers playing field now.

I guess they think we are all work and no play?

I can't imagine how awful the Empire: TW experience would be on anything but a Mac Pro. I can just see all of the "WILL EMPIRE TW RUN ON MY MACBOOK AIR????" threads... shudder.

Maybe "awful" only if you think anything less than max settings is an unacceptable compromise. But on recent iMacs or high-end MBPs, you should be able to play it on at least high settings at very decent FPS. Seriously. (No pro-Mac bias intended here as I actually prefer gaming on PCs).

On this YouTube video a guy is playing it in Boot Camp on a 2 year old 2.66 GHz MBP at medium settings. On a more recent Mac, it'll run much better:

Empire: Total War on 2.66 GHz MBP

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Fair Comment

Maybe "awful" only if you think anything less than max settings is an unacceptable compromise. But on recent iMacs or high-end MBPs, you should be able to play it on at least high settings at very decent FPS. Seriously. (No pro-Mac bias intended here as I actually prefer gaming on PCs).

On this YouTube video a guy is playing it in Boot Camp on a 2 year old 2.66 GHz MBP at medium settings. On a more recent Mac, it'll run much better:

Empire: Total War on 2.66 GHz MBP

But I'm sure if you can use 512 on an iPad, and produce stunning results, then its a short step to porting to mac.

They just delivered my 3rd Air.....I may be some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.