Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cherry13bomb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
So, I love my iPhone, but I don't love my bill. I pay Verizon 200 a month for 3 phones and 2 data plans. It is ridiculous. I was thinking about cutting back to a basic phone and using my iPhone 4 as an iPod. Is that even possible or will it somehow block me from doing that? Has anyone done this? I know my husband's old Android phone won't acknowledge any of his apps (says they are all "not installed" now that it is deactivated.

Thanks!

cherry13bomb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Do I have to do anything special, or will it just work as usual? Minus the data and call signal of course.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2011
It is an iPod.

The second that SIM comes out. Thats it.

iPod touch.

WIFI, apps, the lot all work as normal.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
When I got my iPhone 4 I gave my 3G to my girlfriend so she could use it around the house for wifi friendly apps and music. It's still working just fine.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
So, I love my iPhone, but I don't love my bill. I pay Verizon 200 a month for 3 phones and 2 data plans. It is ridiculous. I was thinking about cutting back to a basic phone and using my iPhone 4 as an iPod. Is that even possible or will it somehow block me from doing that? Has anyone done this? I know my husband's old Android phone won't acknowledge any of his apps (says they are all "not installed" now that it is deactivated.

Thanks!

Just cancel/downgrade the phone plan, get the iPhone disconnected from Verizon, put it in airplane mode, turn on wifi. Profit.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Take out the sim card and it pretty much turns into an ipod
The OP has the Verizon iPhone.

But yes, it will work anyway. It will say "No Service" on the top and you can get rid of it by putting it on airplane mode. No data plan, and it will work as an iPod touch.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
I'm thinking the OP could even restore the iPhone from an iPod backup. Would there be some way of getting rid of anything and everything associated with being a phone? i.e. No 3G menus etc.

----------

I'm thinking the OP could even restore the iPhone from an iPod backup. Would there be some way of getting rid of anything and everything associated with being a phone? i.e. No 3G menus and phone app etc.

cherry13bomb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
The OP has the Verizon iPhone.

But yes, it will work anyway. It will say "No Service" on the top and you can get rid of it by putting it on airplane mode. No data plan, and it will work as an iPod touch.

One more question: If I do this, can I still do updates and sync with iTunes and iPhoto? Or will that cause problems?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The one limitation with using an iPhone 4 as an iPod Touch is...
no FaceTime.

The iPhone 4 requires cell service to be active, at least for the Verizon iPhone. I have a Verizon iPhone 4 (with a bad ESN due to non-payment of cell bill) and it cannot FaceTime.

yes. I use a bad esn iPhone 4 as an iPod. Everything works (besides the phone function)
Are you able to use FaceTime?

cherry13bomb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
The one limitation with using an iPhone 4 as an iPod Touch is...
no FaceTime.

The iPhone 4 requires cell service to be active, at least for the Verizon iPhone. I have a Verizon iPhone 4 (with a bad ESN due to non-payment of cell bill) and it cannot FaceTime.

Are you able to use FaceTime?

I have never used FaceTime, so for me, that's not an issue. Do you still sync your phone with iTunes or done a restore?

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks!

200 for 3 phones and 2 data plans?!!! And you think that's bad?!!

I pay almost $80 for one iPhone with 1 data plan!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.