Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
How do I get FCPX to save render files to a drive other than the boot drive?

I've installed FCPX on a Mac Pro running a 128GB boot drive and RAID 0 HDDs in the sleds. In the settings I've deselected the option to organize/copy the footage over, but it's still storing the render files (and others) in the ~/Movies folder. Is there a way to change this default to a separate drive? I'm fairly stumped.

Thanks.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
You can make a duplicate of your existing project (including render files) and move that to the external. When you start a new project, you can tell FCP where to save it. The render files always stick with the project.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Move the "Final Cut Events" and "Final Cut Projects" folders (stored on boot drive under Movies by default) to wherever you like including external or any additional internal drive you have... I personally keep Final Cut Events on a separate 2TB internal drive with that being the only folder on it and keep Projects under my 2TB boot drive.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
Thanks to each of you. Unfortunately I've got too much work to even look at FCPX for a couple of days, but I'll give these a go.

Thanks again!

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I would make sure when you start a new project and event on the drive where you want it stored on. Rather then end up transferring to another drive later on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.