Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haphazard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
Hello.

My iPhone 4 lock button has become stuck. I'm believe it's because of a defect. I'm still under my 1-year warranty and I plan to go to the Apple Store later today to exchange it. However, I have two quick questions.

1) Do they replaace your phone with a new one or a refurbished one?

2) Can I exchange my black iphone for a white iphone?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

nednarm

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
U.K
I just got back from the Apple store after my lock button got stuck this morning. I knew I was 3 months out of warranty but thought I would try my luck anyway. The genius looked at my phone and said it would definitely need to be replaced as the power button can't easily be fixed.

He quoted me £180 for a new phone. I didn't want to pay that so he asked his manager to lower the price, we settled for £60 in the end. Given the condition of my old phone I'm pretty happy with this.

The home button and antenna were both pretty jacked and there were scratches all over the backplate and some deep ones on the screen. The scratches on the backplate were so bad that all my pictures came out blurred!

The genius told me the phone was 'brand new' but it is most definitely a refurb (not that this is a bad thing as I found out the previous owner saved his SHSH blobs and I was able to jailbreak it!).

haphazard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
So I went to the Apple Store and got a new iPhone 4. The serial number starts with an 8. I heard new ones start with either a 7 or a 8 and refurbished ones start with a 5. Is this true?

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
So I went to the Apple Store and got a new iPhone 4. The serial number starts with an 8. I heard new ones start with either a 7 or a 8 and refurbished ones start with a 5. Is this true?

Not true. I have a refurbished one and the serial number starts with an 8. Works fine though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.