Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freakyfoot

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
great guide thanks

just restored my iphone but it will now not take the sim i was using in it
It wants a "valid sim to activate phone".
does this mean the sim that was assigned to it when it was first sold?
i bought it off some1 who had it on at&t network and i've been using a gevey pro to run with my sim. but it wont take my sim now
any advice would be much appreciated :)

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
i dont know how to start a new thread so ill just continue off this one.
i bought an iphone off ebay and it is jailbroken unlocked. it was previously locked to optus. my provider now is with optus and i was wondering if i restored it and updated it to the latest version of ios will i be able to use my optus sim? is it too risky to do this, will i screw up everything and will it wind out to not accept any sim?
please help quickly!

Since you don't NEED an unlock using Optus, it doesn't matter what you do. If you do need an unlock then update wisely and preserve your (unlockable?) baseband.

pbfa

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
great guide thanks

just restored my iphone but it will now not take the sim i was using in it
It wants a "valid sim to activate phone".
does this mean the sim that was assigned to it when it was first sold?
i bought it off some1 who had it on at&t network and i've been using a gevey pro to run with my sim. but it wont take my sim now
any advice would be much appreciated :)

I need help with this, too. I had been using T-Mobile on my jailbroken/unlocked 3Gs Iphone, then upgraded to 4.3.3 from 3.1.2 in Itunes (DOLT!)...I got it restored, but ITunes doesn't recognize my T-Mobile SIM & it's the only one I have.

Help?

nabisco

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
I'm not sure if this is a recent change but iTunes 10.4 doesn't seem to give me the option to just restore, there's just an option for 'Restore and Update'. I have an iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3 jailbroken with Pwnage Tool 4.3.3.1 which I'm trying to restore then re-jailbreak.

Can I hold down 'alt' and use the 4.3.3 firmware I downloaded when jailbreaking? or will I run into problems with 'signing' and 'blobs' and 'umbrellas'?

Also, well written guide but I think you need to alter it to make it clear about whether you HAVE to update the firmware.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
I'm not sure if this is a recent change but iTunes 10.4 doesn't seem to give me the option to just restore, there's just an option for 'Restore and Update'. I have an iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3 jailbroken with Pwnage Tool 4.3.3.1 which I'm trying to restore then re-jailbreak.

Can I hold down 'alt' and use the 4.3.3 firmware I downloaded when jailbreaking? or will I run into problems with 'signing' and 'blobs' and 'umbrellas'?

Also, well written guide but I think you need to alter it to make it clear about whether you HAVE to update the firmware.

iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 require SHSH Blobs to downgrade firmware once Apple stops signing it. which is usually shortly after a firmware update. if you don't have the shsh you can only install the latest firmware. If you are Jailbroken and on say Firmware 4.2.1 you can try IFAITH and see if it can save that shsh blob for you. IFAITH has been found to be hit and miss.

nabisco

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
thanks for the reply, but I'm not even trying to downgrade. Do I still need SHSH blobs to restore and maintain the same firmware?

demonsaphir

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
London
I used jailbreakme.com and installed cydia onto my 3GS and I want to sell it now as im getting the iphone 4.

What is the quickest way to get rid of it so that the new owner can sync it in itunes??

vule678

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
How do i do this without a power button ? my power button is broken and is stuck on apple logo . computer cant recongize

syolase

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Urgent help

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, (and I'm kinda' new in the iOS world), I have an urgent question, and I hope someone can help me out!

So, I'm considering to buy a used 3Gs, and I want to be sure, that can I restore fully the phone, or not.

The phone is jail-broken, and currently using iOS 4.3.3, with 06.15.00 baseband. Will I be able to restore this phone fully? Or if its not enough info, tell me what other info you need to tell that the phone is restorable or not, so i can ask the seller for more info.

Thanks everyone!

WinCoVariable

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, (and I'm kinda' new in the iOS world), I have an urgent question, and I hope someone can help me out!

So, I'm considering to buy a used 3Gs, and I want to be sure, that can I restore fully the phone, or not.

The phone is jail-broken, and currently using iOS 4.3.3, with 06.15.00 baseband. Will I be able to restore this phone fully? Or if its not enough info, tell me what other info you need to tell that the phone is restorable or not, so i can ask the seller for more info.
Thanks everyone!
I am in the same situation. I am considering buying my friend’s 3GS when he gets the 4S, but it’s jailbroken. Anyway to restore it to factory settings? We’ve tried all the standard methods, but none seem to be working. It’s running iOS 4.3.3. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks.

jackie purdy

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
iphone 4 4.2.1 cydia, no service, want it gone

i had a guy jailbreak my phone & put cydia on it, he then tried to unlock it & it didnt work, it just had little to no service, long story short, I went to another guy to try, he now tells me i have to resore my phone to 4.3.3 which i have no clue how to do since i think it will just do the newest software? next he says without the "code" the guy used to jailbreak it there is a 50/ 50 chance I may turn my phone into an ipod leaving the rest useless... i contacted the guy who put this on my phone, offered to pay to have him safely remove it & he said the other guy was an idot & i just need to restore... all i ever asked for was to unlock it so i can use it with my new provider....sigh:( any help???

mugen13

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2011
I'm having problems restoring my phone. I'm jailbroken on 4.3.3 using snowbreeze and I cannot get the phone to restore completely using a 4.3.3 ipsw. I had some problems using itunes 10.5 so I've downgraded my itunes to 10.2. I've gone into the host file and changed the gs.apple.com address so it will verify the 4.3.3 ipsw. I've gone into Tiny Umbrella unchecked the “Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit”.

The phone gets about 80% done restoring then it throws the error "the iphone "iphone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1)" and puts the phone into a recovery loop. Thats when I have to use snowbreeze to restore the phone to life since redsnow did not work.

Does anyone else have this problem? If someone can please help so i can take it in to get checked by apple!

bansheebeat

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
So my 4s is JB on 5.0.1. Let's say I want to go back to stock. I do a restore as new iPhone. Do I lose all my contacts, pics, app placements, etc? If so is there a way to get these back to how they were? What if I upgrade to 5.1 when it comes out? Will there still be traces of a JB?

iVB

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Well, to start, I have iPhone 4 with 4.1 firmware and I wanna UPGRADE that to iOS5 5.0.1 and jailbreak it

when I shift+click the restore and load the custom ipsw i got it from this link: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Firmware

error 3194 will should, GOSH I HATE IT.

I started to look all over the internet for solutions.

actually i have used it on another machine and same error came up 3194. I am at wits end. everywhere it says its a hosts file issue, but I have done everything with this gdamn hosts file to make it brand new. I have edited it in notepad and deleted the contents of the file, saved it. rebooted. checked to make sure windows wrote the default one, still 3194. I have used microsoft fixit to put a default hosts file in etc. again 3194. I have added 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to hosts file, I have removed 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com from hosts file. still 3194. I have clicked update, error 3001, everywhere it says to click restore to solve that problem, so i click restore, 3194. I shift click browse to my ipsw, again 3194. I have put my phone into DFU recovery mode and still 3194. I have used tiny umbrella to put it in Recovery mode, still 3194.

so how will solve this problem?

and would upgrading to 5.0.1 normally (by itunes) and then jailbreaking will harm the process? because - and from what I read - that custom ipsw is used by who are panic of loosing their unlock, will I DON'T. my iPhone is already unlocked!

Ponderous

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
New Jersey
Trying to restore my 4s to stock. Having issues with iTunes cloud music and wanted to troubleshoot without the JB. When I plug into iTunes and select restore I get the error "Unable to restore your device"

Any idea why? IPhone 4s with 5.0.1 jailbroken with absinthe v.3

Thanks in advance.

doctortrojan

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
Please help

I tried this and instead of getting validated by apple it now won't connect. i am a doctor and need my cell phone to return calls. i don't understand what to do i tried using red snow and it gives me an error. what should i do please help me if you can.

sincerely
a friend in need

P.S. i can donate to your charity redsnow or ultraslow or whoever can help me with this would really like to have my phone back and now i regret trying to upgrade from jailbroken 4.0.1 version which i had been using since i got the phone nearly 2 years ago :( i always seem to ruin my phone or lose my phone usually drop it in water this time i guess i electronically ruined it...maybe there is hope ....

Ponderous

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
New Jersey
I tried this and instead of getting validated by apple it now won't connect. i am a doctor and need my cell phone to return calls. i don't understand what to do i tried using red snow and it gives me an error. what should i do please help me if you can.

sincerely
a friend in need

P.S. i can donate to your charity redsnow or ultraslow or whoever can help me with this would really like to have my phone back and now i regret trying to upgrade from jailbroken 4.0.1 version which i had been using since i got the phone nearly 2 years ago :( i always seem to ruin my phone or lose my phone usually drop it in water this time i guess i electronically ruined it...maybe there is hope ....

What do you mean it won't connect? Use tiny umbrella to kick it out of the recovery loop. That's where mine gets stuck. I still can't restore to factory. It keeps giving me "unable to restore device. Error 21". Not sure where to go from here. Thankfully tiny umbrella kicks it out of recovery mode and I still have my awesome jailbroke 4s. Just wish I could restore and then rejailbreak if I wanted to.

RaNdOm

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
restore problems.

I've been trying to restore my phone (iPhone 4S iOS 5.0.1) for a couple of hours now and I think I finally got it to work, but it was a pain. I don't know what the final combination was to get it to restore back to factory. I was getting errors: 21, 11, 1600 and can't connect to apple server before I finally got it working. I also tried setting it into recovery mode and DFU mode. I used TinyUmbrella in multiple iterations and something finally worked, but I'm not sure what it was. Is there an update to getting the phone to restore to factory after Absinthe Jailbreak?

drikusj

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
South Africa
Iphone 4 Restore

I've been trying to restore my Iphone 4 (5.0.1) for some time now the first problem that i've received is a 3194 error in Itunes when trying to restore. I've change the host file to point to apple servers, restart my computer, and still getting the 3194 error. After that I used tinyumbrella to save my SHSH files so the file that it saved is "iphone 4 5.0.1" I've tried restoring my iphone with tinyumbrella open with the start TSS server and now i'm receiving a error 11 from itunes!!

Any help please??

floridasteal

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
I've been trying to restore my Iphone 4 (5.0.1) for some time now the first problem that i've received is a 3194 error in Itunes when trying to restore. I've change the host file to point to apple servers, restart my computer, and still getting the 3194 error. After that I used tinyumbrella to save my SHSH files so the file that it saved is "iphone 4 5.0.1" I've tried restoring my iphone with tinyumbrella open with the start TSS server and now i'm receiving a error 11 from itunes!!

Any help please??
open tinyumbrella uncheck set hosts to cydia on exit, close tinyumbrella restore

burningbright

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
Hello, I recently bought an iPhone 3G and (unknown to me at the time) it was already jailbroken.

I would very much like to make it run the latest official firmware it is capable of running. I tried the procedure in the first post but iTunes refuses to complete the restoration due to 'Error 1015'.

What can I do?

Help much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.