Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
I have an AVI file that I want to burn as a DVD, however it needs to be compressed first - if I simply load it into Toast it says it requires 5.5 GB and of course my disc has only 4.3 GB (or whatever). So, I need to shrink my AVI file, I assume this will mean recompressing it.

I know there are tools out there that will do this for actual DVDs (DVDBackup, DVD2OneX etc.) in terms of ripping, compressing, etc., but how can I take an existing AVI, shrink it, then burn it as a DVD?

I have ffmpegx, but have never used it. Will this do the trick?

I popped it open, however it looks a little complicated. Under the Video option I can choose various different AVI formats - is this what I need? To convert my AVI into a smaller AVI? If so, which format? I can then also select how many minutes on how many CDs, etc. - I assume I just select DVD 4GB? For audio, what should I select? Do I need to worry about anything in the Options menu? And in the Tools menu, can I select "Author as DVD" or should I do that in Toast instead? Lastly, it appears like it wants to save the file as a .avi.ff - can I just delete the .ff afterwards to make it an AVI again? Is this even the right way to be going about things?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure things out! Any help would be appreciated!

bobzac

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2006
Did you get your AVI's to work?

Hello, I am a Mac user in Boston and read your post about converting
an AVI file using Toast and getting that annoying "not enough space
available on disk" message. Did you ever find out how to compress your
files? I have ffmpeg too, but have not been able to make my files
enough. If you have found the magic bullet, please share.

bobzac.

Jen5678

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2004
I get the same problem, and it seems that even if i compress it, if its over 2 hours worth of footage it still says its too large....

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
I get the same problem, and it seems that even if i compress it, if its over 2 hours worth of footage it still says its too large....

AFAIK single layer dvds can only handle 2 hrs worth of video, but you can write it as a data file if you wanted to.

As for ffmpegX, I love it. Drag the file on the left box in summary, then in the video tab, go to the bitrate calculator change the size of the "cd" to 4500MB (better to be safe then sorry) and click the rate button in the same area then you can encode (also make sure thaat is is not set to auto size to the wrong aspect ratio (i.e. it says 16:9(a widescreen) but is really 4:3(full screen)). This should work

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Wow, who would have thought that a thread I started 2.5 years ago would get resurrected! ;) :D

Yes, Mernak is correct, there is a 2-hour limit, but I have had success using ffmpegx for matters such as this. It isn't the most intuitive right off the bat, but is a very powerful, slick tool.

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
Wow, who would have thought that a thread I started 2.5 years ago would get resurrected! ;) :D

Yes, Mernak is correct, there is a 2-hour limit, but I have had success using ffmpegx for matters such as this. It isn't the most intuitive right off the bat, but is a very powerful, slick tool.

lol, didn't even realized the original post was that old. Very observant aren't I? :rolleyes:

Agreed with the fact that ffmpegX is not intuitive, then I realized I would only need a couple of options and found how to change them

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
lol, didn't even realized the original post was that old. Very observant aren't I? :rolleyes:

Agreed with the fact that ffmpegX is not intuitive, then I realized I would only need a couple of options and found how to change them

No worries. ;) :)

And yeah, it's not that bad once you get the hang of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.