Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

optmi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
How long did it take for the case to arrive, ordered mine today ?

I received my untype case within a week. I didn't mind waiting though since it is handmade here in the USA (Support the states :)) . You'll understand when you get it, amazingly well put together and money well spent.

I read a write-up about the girl who sews these herself. She's a half-swedish, half-japanese designer living in the US. My imagination runs wild :)

Which one did you get?

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
I keep saying I'm going to review my felt sleeve but I never seem to have time...stuck between catching up on Mad Men episodes on netflix, work and bar outings....so here goes:
--SNIP--

Thank you! Your review prompted me to order one as well. I placed the order yesterday, so I hope I'll have mine by the end of the month, even though some here got theirs in a week.

optmi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
Thank you! Your review prompted me to order one as well. I placed the order yesterday, so I hope I'll have mine by the end of the month, even though some here got theirs in a week.

I was just lucky with the timing. I'm pretty sure I got mine before untype became popular. Last week was the first time I saw someone else with one at my local starbucks here in NY.

aryan118

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2011
I received my untype case within a week. I didn't mind waiting though since it is handmade here in the USA (Support the states :)) . You'll understand when you get it, amazingly well put together and money well spent.

I read a write-up about the girl who sews these herself. She's a half-swedish, half-japanese designer living in the US. My imagination runs wild :)

Which one did you get?

I ordered granite gary hoping to receive it soon...I was also thinking about zagg invisible shield whats ur take on it ?

optmi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
The MBA can take some big hits

I ordered granite gary hoping to receive it soon...I was also thinking about zagg invisible shield whats ur take on it ?

Hi Aryan,

The granite case looks nice. I also thought about getting a skin for my MBA 13. I have one on my iphone 4, but had such a hard time placing the shield that I became bitter :) It can only help though.

I take the untype sleeve everywhere and it's basically enough to stop my MBA from being scratched in my bag. My messenger bag has everything from my iphone to my apartment keys in it which necessitated some kind of protection. I have absolutely abused my mac on my trips overseas and I'm sold on apple's build quality. I was in the plane a couple of weeks ago and I put my messenger back up above me with the macbook in the sleeve. When we took off, I heard a smack/scrunch...but of course, you can't take off your seatbelt and check (and be mistaken for a terrorist or just plain dangerous) which drove me crazy until we leveled out. So I get up and check. It was fine and even though that was the case, I will NEVER do that again. I can't even count the times someone has leaned their seat backwards and almost crunched my screen/hinge. That's a plus for the 11 inchers, they don't have that problem and I'm constantly looking at ipad users with envy. The 13 inch is just an inch too big for Delta/American flights.

Long story short, the MBA can take quite a beating as long as it's closed. Zagg shield is good but I think unnecessary if it's in a sleeve.

StE823

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
Toronto
Here's my crumpler sleeve for my 13", I'm a fan of their products especially their camera bags for my business...

20110915009.jpg

20110915004.jpg

20110915003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
Just picked up this Timbuk2 bag. I've always been a fan of their stuff.

This bag is called the Quickie Netbook Case and got it from Best Buy for $50. It fits the 13" Air pretty well and has pockets in the front that will even fit the power brick. The inside has interesting "bubbles" that are soft (filled with air or maybe really soft foam). It's also got handles, which are tucked away in the pics, and a removable shoulder strap.

IMG_20110915_214033.jpg

IMG_20110915_213951.jpg

IMG_20110915_214119.jpg

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
Highly recommend the STM Glove XS for 11" MBA owners. I received one today and it's really good. Lovely soft fur lining and a very good protective flap that prevents the zip from contacting the MBA. Size is almost perfect, a little (and I mean a little) more room than I thought it would have but by no means loose.

STMDP213107-2.jpg

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England

aryan118

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2011
Hi Aryan,

The granite case looks nice. I also thought about getting a skin for my MBA 13. I have one on my iphone 4, but had such a hard time placing the shield that I became bitter :) It can only help though.

I take the untype sleeve everywhere and it's basically enough to stop my MBA from being scratched in my bag. My messenger bag has everything from my iphone to my apartment keys in it which necessitated some kind of protection. I have absolutely abused my mac on my trips overseas and I'm sold on apple's build quality. I was in the plane a couple of weeks ago and I put my messenger back up above me with the macbook in the sleeve. When we took off, I heard a smack/scrunch...but of course, you can't take off your seatbelt and check (and be mistaken for a terrorist or just plain dangerous) which drove me crazy until we leveled out. So I get up and check. It was fine and even though that was the case, I will NEVER do that again. I can't even count the times someone has leaned their seat backwards and almost crunched my screen/hinge. That's a plus for the 11 inchers, they don't have that problem and I'm constantly looking at ipad users with envy. The 13 inch is just an inch too big for Delta/American flights.

Long story short, the MBA can take quite a beating as long as it's closed. Zagg shield is good but I think unnecessary if it's in a sleeve.

I was thinking to put a carbon fibre skin on the base of my mba so that there r no scratches when i put it on a table or a hard surface now the questions are:

1. is it a good idea ?

2. will the skin cause over heating ? I doubt it but u never know...

--Aryan

heydrew

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
The Internet
I was thinking to put a carbon fibre skin on the base of my mba so that there r no scratches when i put it on a table or a hard surface now the questions are:

1. is it a good idea ?

2. will the skin cause over heating ? I doubt it but u never know...

--Aryan

I have the black Carbon Fiber skin from iCarbons for my 13" 2011, coupled with a skin from GelaSkins, and I don't notice any increase in heating or fan noise. It definitely makes the computer easier to hold and cuts WAY down on scratches. I get a lot of questions about what type of computer I have or where I got the skins.

aryan118

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2011
I have the black Carbon Fiber skin from iCarbons for my 13" 2011, coupled with a skin from GelaSkins, and I don't notice any increase in heating or fan noise. It definitely makes the computer easier to hold and cuts WAY down on scratches. I get a lot of questions about what type of computer I have or where I got the skins.

Thanks i will google it and try to order one of them, i need one for the base and nothing for the top...

dpgfunk

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2011
I was looking for an easy in/out sleeve in addition to scratch protection for my device. I opted for the Best Skins Ever shield + Incipio Orion sleeve. The fit is perfect, with the skin protecting the exposed areas. Skin ran me $23 shipped and the case $17 shipped.

42389ea5.jpg

f9d2bbca.jpg

d1e65eba.jpg

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
I was looking for an easy in/out sleeve in addition to scratch protection for my device. I opted for the Best Skins Ever shield + Incipio Orion sleeve. The fit is perfect, with the skin protecting the exposed areas. Skin ran me $23 shipped and the case $17 shipped.

How easy is it to pull the MacBook Air out of the Incipio Orion sleeve? Do you have to push or hold down the sleeve to pull it out?

dpgfunk

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2011
How easy is it to pull the MacBook Air out of the Incipio Orion sleeve? Do you have to push or hold down the sleeve to pull it out?

You just need to slightly pinch the edge or corner and the laptop comes out with ease due to the microsuede inner lining. I see this as a plus for the sleeve as the laptop is fitted securely inside (ie. it will not slide out when holding the sleeve upside down).

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR

Where did you pick up the the skin for $23 shipped? Their website has it for $27.99 + $2 shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.