Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kinger2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I had been happily using Visual Boy Advanced for sometime now until today. I updated my MacBookPro to Lion and I went to open VBA and now I get a message saying "You can't open the application VisualBoyAdvance because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." :mad:

Any ideas on how I can continue to use this? Or any other Game Boy Advanced emulators out there?

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
It would be really handy and a good idea if someone made a PowerPC emulator. Hell, I would pay $10 for it if it were on the App Store.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I had been happily using Visual Boy Advanced for sometime now until today. I updated my MacBookPro to Lion and I went to open VBA and now I get a message saying "You can't open the application VisualBoyAdvance because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." :mad:

Any ideas on how I can continue to use this? Or any other Game Boy Advanced emulators out there?

There is actually a intel version of Visual Boy Advance called Mac Boy Advance which is what I'm using. Here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Games/Mac-Boy-Advance.shtml

It's exactly the same as Visual Boy Advance except it runs on Intel and it's a bit faster. :)

Kinger2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Watabou that works perfectly! Thank you so much. Another quick question is there a way I can get my saved game from the other version to load up? Got some time into that :D

Actually I figured it out myself, just copied the save state from the first version I had to the folder in the new one you just gave me

Last edited:

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Watabou that works perfectly! Thank you so much. Another quick question is there a way I can get my saved game from the other version to load up? Got some time into that :D

Actually I figured it out myself, just copied the save state from the first version I had to the folder in the new one you just gave me

Yeah its pretty easy, just copy it over to the Battery Saves folder.

finkmacunix

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
FailFailFailFailFailFailFail

No$GBA=Crap…
It hasn't been updated in ages…

Use VBA-M (What VisualBoy Advance has become)

And use Desmume for DS games…

"But NO$GBA is faster!"

Yeah, but desmume and VBA-M have better GFX and Audio quality… And they can both export saves into the standard .sav format…

jzietman

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
I've tried building VBA-M from the latest source several times, and it never seems to work. Is that possible with Lion, or do I need to settle for older builds?

Tay2234

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2011

this did not work for me on OS X LION any suggestions?

ChristisKing33

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
Florida
Question about this!

There is actually a intel version of Visual Boy Advance called Mac Boy Advance which is what I'm using. Here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Games/Mac-Boy-Advance.shtml

It's exactly the same as Visual Boy Advance except it runs on Intel and it's a bit faster. :)

Hey, the emulator works brilliantly! Thanks! But is there any way I can make the screen bigger? Because right now I am playing on a Gameboy Sized screen =]

Let me know!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
In Preferences, set the video size to 4x, then press Esc to switch between windowed and fullscreen.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
I was using the snesx or something and that doesn't work now that I've upgraded to lion either.

I've ways been looking for a PS1 emulator, never played FFXII and always wanted too.

Where would I find one of those?

ChristisKing33

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
Florida
Saving Issues

Hey Mac Gurus!

I got my screen nice and large and its a beautiful thing to play gameboy on my mac. However I am having issues with save states and battery saves. I honestly don't even know what either of those things means exactly. But either way, when ever I start up Fire Red Pokemon on Virtual Boy it returns me to the beginning as if I have never played, although I did save in the previous attempt to play. I'm going to search around on google to figure out if I am doing something wrong, but just in case I don't find an answer, I figured I would post here and see if any of you can help me! Thanks in advance for whatever info you can give me!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hey Mac Gurus!

I got my screen nice and large and its a beautiful thing to play gameboy on my mac. However I am having issues with save states and battery saves. I honestly don't even know what either of those things means exactly. But either way, when ever I start up Fire Red Pokemon on Virtual Boy it returns me to the beginning as if I have never played, although I did save in the previous attempt to play. I'm going to search around on google to figure out if I am doing something wrong, but just in case I don't find an answer, I figured I would post here and see if any of you can help me! Thanks in advance for whatever info you can give me!

Which OS are you on? I've heard that 10.7 protects the Applications folder and may be preventing the state from being saved (I'm on 10.6 so I can't say whether that's true or not).

ChristisKing33

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
Florida
Which OS are you on? I've heard that 10.7 protects the Applications folder and may be preventing the state from being saved (I'm on 10.6 so I can't say whether that's true or not).

I am running OS 10.7, so I guess that could be it. Any idea of a solution to that?

edit: And thanks for responding! =]

Last edited:

ultimatespirit

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Christisking33, since all of the data is stored inside the folder you placed in the applications folder of your computer. You *should* be able to just move it to the desktop or another folder and it'll work. If the emulator works, but it still doesn't save then it is some other more specific problem. I can't check for certain though as I'm still on 10.6.8, hope this helps you.

justwright

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
San Diego, Ca
I'm running OSX 10.7.2 and MacBoyAdvance crashes every time I try to open roms that ran perfectly on VisualBoyAdvance on Snow Leopard :( any help on how to fix this or a way to work around it would be greatly appreciated!

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
So... VBA and VBA-M both don't work in 10.7... Has anyone found another solution? I need my Pokemon fix.... :(

gracandr

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
CANADA
Restore windows?

Hi, im kind of a techno-peasant, and id like to start playing the Macboy Advance contraption. I downloaded it but every time i try to open it, it asks me if id like to restore the windows. Ive tried both options but is doesnt seem to work. Does anyone have any insight as to what i can do?

npockoski

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
So I just joined this site. I have wanted to play pokemon for a while now ever since I upgraded to lion. I am using the intel version of VisualBoyAdvance that was put out (THANK YOU!:D) and I still am having problems saving files? Did anyone find out why it won't save? I'm running 10.7 and I seem to be out of luck. Sorry that I'm not all techy and stuff but I just wanted to play pokemon the other night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.