Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mpalmieri1203

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
As a public school teacher who utilizes, keynote, pages, and a SMART board I was wondering if SMART or Apple would provide any kind of connectivity via the dock to a SMART board.

I'm looking forward to not having to lug my MBP around on the subway and simply carry my keynotes on the pad itself. I was just hoping for some kind of SMART board interactivity.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I don't think you will get an actual answer here, mostly just speculation if anything at all. Your best bet would be to contact SMART Technologies directly.

jimmypopjr

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Philly
I'm actually an AV guy at a university and I work with SMARTboards regularly. Based on what I already know about the iPad, and what I do know about smartboards, I would say that the short answer will be: VGA dongle.

I'm not sure how your school's smartboard is set up, but if it's using projection there will more than likely be a VGA cable somewhere in the mix. That won't really give you a solution better than your MBP, since it won't be any more mobile during presentations.

That said - I wouldn't be surprised to see Panasonic, Epson, maybe even SMART (with their 685ix series with the built in projectors) come up with an app to utilize wireless projectors. I have a couple of wireless panasonics installed around campus and the wireless function is handy. The only issue is that it's wifi based - your computer/ipad will need to connect to a network that the projector is sending out, which will keep you from accessing the internet at the same time (maybe not a problem). Wireless projectors are great for presentations... but not as great for video.

I hope this helps a little. Not knowing what your actual setup looks like is making it a tough question to answer. I'll keep an eye on this thread so if you update with any other info I'll update my answer.

Mpalmieri1203

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
I'm actually an AV guy at a university and I work with SMARTboards regularly. Based on what I already know about the iPad, and what I do know about smartboards, I would say that the short answer will be: VGA dongle.

I'm not sure how your school's smartboard is set up, but if it's using projection there will more than likely be a VGA cable somewhere in the mix. That won't really give you a solution better than your MBP, since it won't be any more mobile during presentations.

That said - I wouldn't be surprised to see Panasonic, Epson, maybe even SMART (with their 685ix series with the built in projectors) come up with an app to utilize wireless projectors. I have a couple of wireless panasonics installed around campus and the wireless function is handy. The only issue is that it's wifi based - your computer/ipad will need to connect to a network that the projector is sending out, which will keep you from accessing the internet at the same time (maybe not a problem). Wireless projectors are great for presentations... but not as great for video.

I hope this helps a little. Not knowing what your actual setup looks like is making it a tough question to answer. I'll keep an eye on this thread so if you update with any other info I'll update my answer.

Jimmy we have 2 setups. We have wall mounted boards with "roaming" projectors and wallmounted speakers.

Then we have really nice boards with an arm for a fixed projector.

The crux of my question is wether or not I'll be able to use the SMART notebook software, or if they have in ipad version on the way, so that I can use all the marker, highlighter, and eraser features...

I might be a longshot but I think it would be freaking awesome.

jimmypopjr

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Philly
I can't imagine SMART doesn't have something in development at this point. They're all about the education market and touch surfaces... and the iPad will be a big hit in education, I believe.

As for SMART Notebook... tough to say. I would think that they'd want to jump in on the app market... but they won't want to cannibalize their hardware sales. Right now SMART software is free, so long as you have a valid hardware serial number, which is incentive to buy their boards. What I see happening is a few SMARTnotebook-like apps coming to the iPad to fill in whatever gap SMART leaves.

I think the only solution for you, until there's a definitive answer out there, will be to still hook your MBP up, open the SMARTnotebook software... and then connect your iPad to the MBP with a VNC-like client. Not ideal, but at the very least it gives you full control over the SMART stuff and allows you to walk around the room.

Wish I had more concrete answers for you. SMART has been a lot more tight-lipped because there's an increasing amount of competition creeping into the touch-board market.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
I'd think there would need to be a specialized cable made, just because the SMARTboards require both a USB and a VGA connection.

jimmypopjr

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Philly
I'd think there would need to be a specialized cable made, just because the SMARTboards require both a USB and a VGA connection.

Well, with SMARTnotebook software installed on an iPad, all you'd need would be the connection to the projector.

I actually had a much longer response typed out that with both video and serial connection needed, the smartboard is pretty useless, but thought that the question wasn't about hooking the iPad directly TO a smartboard... but it functioning as one with just the software... at least I think that's what the question was...

Either way - good call on including that! I wonder if SMART will add some sort of SMARTserver connection into their software to allow iPad-like devices to easily connect to a host computer and utilize the software in tandem, so the iPad is connected, but the SMARTboard itself is still usable by the students.

macintoddd

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
My $0.02

We need a program that will connect to the wireless smart boards from the iPad. It would be similar to the slate that Smart Tech offers, but offer mor functionality because of the capabilities of the iPad.

I don't foresee this coming down the pipe line however. Smart is VERY slow on the Apple development side of things. We are always behind the windows updates by almost a year.

I love my Smart Board, but hate the software that is developed for it. There are many more capabilities it has that are not utilized because of the software that has been developed. For example, while it can do Flash, it slows down the software so much, it is almost unbearable.

Don't hold your breath for software you can use with the iPad and the SmartBoard. I'm not even sure if they allow software development. The only software I can find that is useable is there own SmartBoard notebook software. After that, we are limited to writing on a layer above the software rather than inside the software.

Rabsmo

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Ipad and Smartboard

I think that I have discovered the best solution based on the software available so far. I use an Ipad app called logmein which allows me to log in to the classroom computer and control it using my IPad. This allows me to walk around the classroom and do everything I would normally do with the smartboard using a copy of the computer screen on my Ipad. You do need a wireless connection (WIFI) between your IPad and the classroom computer to do this but it allows all of the functionality of the smartboard from your Ipad. With regard to using the VGA dongle there are Ipad apps available that allow you to display PDF files and web sites but you will have to be physically wired in to the smartboard which I think limits the mobility that the Ipad was made for. If you are interested in these apps go to the app store and type in VGA as a search keyword. Hope this helps.

Music Doctor

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
I've e-mailed SMART Technologies (I'm a certified trainer for SMART Notebook and SMART Response) about the possibility of an iPad app. I actually tried calling first, and no one there wanted to discuss the possibility.

My fear is that the thoughts shared earlier on this thread are accurate: SMART will not make a Notebook app for the iPad with the fear of affecting their sales of SMART Boards, Sympodium units, and Airliner Slates.

Apple recently opened up VGA out capability to various iPad programs, including PaperDesk, as close an alternative to SMART Notebook as exists at the moment. However, you still can't import objects or interact with objects in these programs. I'm sure the iPad can handle these tasks (as seen with Keynote for iPad), but the programmers haven't caught up yet.

And, as we're all aware...no Flash on the iPad. And most of the interactive gallery for Notebook consists of flash modules.

As for iPads, one of the nice features is that the VGA out has worked flawlessly on every projector I've connected to. Even my MacBook struggles from projector to projector.

Two things are going to happen: First, districts will consider the cost of a SMART set-up (computer, SMART Board, Projector, Sound System, and installation) to the use of an iPad (or other slate) with a mounted projector and sound system. Districts could theoretically save $6000-$7000 per "intelligent classroom" by going with an iPad and mounted projector. That even considers the purchase of an iPad keyboard for each teacher. (I've found that the iPad works well with management programs like Infinite Campus, online programs like ClassJump, and for most teaching needs, Apple's iWork suite would be more than adequate).

Second, wireless video will settle on a standard and eventually be placed into most devices, including iPads. At that point, the Interactive White Board movement will fade away. The problem with many IWBs is that they are connected to the front of the room, and that they are a single touch device (there are some IWBs that are multi-touch; but SMART's model is based on single touch, even on the new 1/2 and 1/2 boards).

reiichiroh

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
It looks like they are already threatened.

They sent an updated email to owners/users of their hardware/software notifying of "misleading or incorrect info (?)" being spread about their platform and are releasing an updated version of their software whose main feature seems to be an update to license terms forbidding use of their software on (among other things) tablet/slate PCs.

A new service pack for SMART Notebook 10 collaborative learning software will be made available soon. This software update will be accompanied by a revised licensing agreement, which will confirm the permitted use of SMART Notebook software. In advance of this update, the attached letter clarifies the SMART Notebook software license to help you make more informed choices. It has come to our attention that misleading or incorrect information about the use of SMART Notebook software is circulating in the marketplace.

http://vault.smarttech.com/emails/eula/notebook-license-letter-americas.pdf

ladiab1a

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2010
Hey Professor Smarty Pants

You need a stick of chalk and some teaching skills.

Leave your fancy electrics at home.

It's called Universal Design for Learning. It prevents pompous one-way communicators from assuming the rest of the world is less intelligent just because they don't learn best by listening to them reveling in their own glory. Let them explore in a whole new way!

http://www.udlcenter.org/research/researchevidence

Many paths lead to the same end point, friend. Take the 'Mind Closed Until Further Notice' off your back and enjoy learning something new (via technology!) that just may re-arrange a view of your world. Why wouldn't we encourage children to do the same?

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
You need a stick of chalk and some teaching skills.

Leave your fancy electrics at home.

Your an imbecile. Electronics are being used everyday in the teaching world. Without advancements we would still be running around naked in a rain forrest somewhere with nothing, better start embracing advancements as if you look in the last 2000+ years they are going to happen. You want to learn/teach the old way? Fine, but don't go spouting your critical pompous BS on a forum dedicated to these exact concepts.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Your an imbecile. Electronics are being used everyday in the teaching world. Without advancements we would still be running around naked in a rain forrest somewhere with nothing, better start embracing advancements as if you look in the last 2000+ years they are going to happen. You want to learn/teach the old way? Fine, but don't go spouting your critical pompous BS on a forum dedicated to these exact concepts.

He might be more open to it if our schools in america weren't doing so poorly educating our kids and meeting their needs.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
He might be more open to it if our schools in america weren't doing so poorly educating our kids and meeting their needs.

Says the girl from Florida...no offense but I'm pretty confident my schooling is miles ahead of some of the crap public schooling I've seen and I'm very grateful for it none the less.

EDIT: Didn't realize you were a lady. Fixed.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
We need a program that will connect to the wireless smart boards from the iPad. It would be similar to the slate that Smart Tech offers, but offer mor functionality because of the capabilities of the iPad.

I don't foresee this coming down the pipe line however. Smart is VERY slow on the Apple development side of things. We are always behind the windows updates by almost a year.

I love my Smart Board, but hate the software that is developed for it. There are many more capabilities it has that are not utilized because of the software that has been developed. For example, while it can do Flash, it slows down the software so much, it is almost unbearable.

Don't hold your breath for software you can use with the iPad and the SmartBoard. I'm not even sure if they allow software development. The only software I can find that is useable is there own SmartBoard notebook software. After that, we are limited to writing on a layer above the software rather than inside the software.

Agreed. I can't believe what SMART Mac users are expected to put up with. Notebook is shameful (unless you like clumsy interfaces and the 'Windows 3.1' look to your content). Promethium stuff just weirds me out with its non-standard interface. Other boards' software is weak too.

Apple or another 3rd party can't fill this gaping hole quick enough. If they made something in the the style of Keynote that worked with any interactive device (IWB/tablet/Magic Trackpad/iPad) perhaps with Widget compatibility to do what Flash offers, Macs would be propelled into the forefront of interactivity and content generation.

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
At my school, almost every teacher has a SMART Board and an iPad from a workshop. Anyways they have airliners, which is basically a graphics tablet with shortcuts for stuff for the smartboard. It connects via bluetooth, so shouldn't an iPad app be possible?

Brightlink

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
iPad iPod research with IWB Interactive Projector wireless projector

Originally Posted by jimmypopjr

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Enjoyed all your posts. I've been running across tons of customers that want to use Epson's Interactive Projector (Brightlink) with an iPad or iPod. The Epson interactive projector does have wifi with content over network IP (can surf the web and wirelessly send content to the projector at the same time). Also, Brightlink gives you interactive capabilities without the need to purchase a board. Here's background on the product http://www.epsonbrightlink.webengager.com/Education/

I'm wondering if there is an Ap for that that. Allow it to remotely connect with wifi projector, act as a slate, give you touch capabilities to annotate and do mouse functions.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I Seriously believe that the iPad will end up replacing the SMART Boards soon. All you need is a wireless projector with its respective app, like the Panasonic Wireless Projector and you don't even need to walk up to the board anymore.

Agreed. The people who have made a fortune putting these poorly-supported white elephants into every classroom will have to find something new to fob off. I wish this was the kind of market Apple would take seriously (with a Keynote-like application that brings SMART Notebook and its 2001 interface/feature set up-to-date) but I guess it is too niche. But with so many talented developers getting interested in iPad apps (and apps which interface with the Mac) perhaps there is new hope.

I would say there is a gap in the market for a comprehensive, interactive classroom tablet/smart board/projector-based suite of applications, backed up by online content/middleware. It would be a big project but while the IWB manufacturers lock customers in and squabble over what software can run on their hardware, now would be a good time to launch something truly innovative and widely deployable.

mr.wiggles

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
I have an Epson PowerLite 95 that allows me to connect any computer via IP address (wired or wireless).

Seems that we're only one step away from being able to connect an iPad the same way. All that's needed is an app and one can run the whiteboard app of his/her choice and project it. The app just needs to maintain its connection via multitasking like the iPod app, Pandora, etc.

I have to connect to the projector by using an application Epson makes for Mac and PC. All they have to do is make an iPad app that does the same thing.

I can't wait!

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I think that I have discovered the best solution based on the software available so far. I use an Ipad app called logmein which allows me to log in to the classroom computer and control it using my IPad. This allows me to walk around the classroom and do everything I would normally do with the smartboard using a copy of the computer screen on my Ipad. You do need a wireless connection (WIFI) between your IPad and the classroom computer to do this but it allows all of the functionality of the smartboard from your Ipad. With regard to using the VGA dongle there are Ipad apps available that allow you to display PDF files and web sites but you will have to be physically wired in to the smartboard which I think limits the mobility that the Ipad was made for. If you are interested in these apps go to the app store and type in VGA as a search keyword. Hope this helps.

Yes, I was thinking I'd be able to do this. I have a vnc app so I opened SMART Notebook and unfortunately agreed to install updates. Now Notebook won't even open. This happens about once every 18 months I reckon. If the eventual functioning updates actually brought the software up to date (so it looked and acted like modern Mac software, not Win 95) it wouldn't be so bad, but this software is shameful.

To those who think SMART will make an iPad app, bear in mind their profits come from (massively overpriced) hardware sales. And they apparently have a very small and/or unskilled/uninspired software team.

These are my opinions. Other opinions are available!

Indigovalley

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Minnesota, USA
I just received a SmartBoard and one iPad2 for my classroom this year. I agree with the others here. It would be great to have a Smartboard app for the iPad but I don't see that happening soon.

Also, while the Smartboard is a wonderful device I'm finding the iPad more useful in my special ed. classroom and actually would have preferred a set of iPads for the class over the Smartboard.

AWattAtTrapps

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
North East Scotland
Using Smartboards and iPods

I've started a model of working with both Smartboard and Apps.

It uses the fact that Flash is not supported by iPhones/ iPod touch, but can be used to develop apps for these devices.

By developing FLASH apps, I make them available for free for classroom use via any browser: this allows teachers to use with the class; and for students at home on their computers. For use on the go they can also download the same app with exact same functionality to use in their own time.

As a Maths teacher I recognise the importance of the practice of skills learned - in today's culture students are far more likely to use an app if it is on their iPhone, and a little practice each day makes a great difference to their grasp of topics they may otherwise struggle with.

As others latch on to this concept I believe that responsibility for learning gets put back to the student: and using Active Learning they will improve their skills significantly.

Feel free to browse (at the moment) my 16 Apps at http://www.trapps.co.uk.

groupboard

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
One option is to use a collaborative whiteboard on both the ipad and the smartboard. You can do this using our Groupboard software (http://www.groupboard.com), and I'm sure there is other software out there you can use as well.

With Groupboard you would connect to a web-based whiteboard on the PC connected to your smartboard, and then you would launch the Groupboard app on the ipad and connect to the same whiteboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.