Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fazer100

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
That is a cover on a black ipod touch

That looks like a white sticker to me :confused:
That is a screen cover over a black ipod touch and even has a tab on the top plus an air bubble by the home button, not really a leaked part is it??

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
lack of A5 doesnt' make sense. Apple would want to migrate all new users onto the same platform (A5/iOS5) to give developers the maximum addressable userbase. Keeping a massive platform like ipod touch on A4 means you either fragment, or you code for the lowest common denominator and the more advance iphone gets held back

as for cannibalising iphone sales, so what? Better to cannibalise one of your products with another of your products than with a competitor. And if you want a phone you won't buy an ipod. and if you have a phone you won't want an iphone.

that's what i think.it really doesn't make sense to stay with the A4

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
thats just makes me worry that "new iphone" will be exactly same design as current one, but with a better camera and dual core...

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
That is a screen cover over a black ipod touch and even has a tab on the top plus an air bubble by the home button, not really a leaked part is it??

Yes, several people have been upgrading their iPods w/ these leaked faceplates. They've been teasing them on Twitter the past few weeks.

It's a sticker! You can see the air bubbles!!!

Yes, an air bubble in the protective sticker over a white face.

Not needed if it's connected to iCloud.

completely fail....iCloud is NOT a replacement for local storage.

Bop

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
crossfade please!

An iPod touch with all of this and that and no crossfade ,wheres that at?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Not needed if it's connected to iCloud.
iCloud is a storage syncing service, not really an online locker even though they will keep music, etc. (purchased via iTunes) available.

What iCloud will not do is sync/store apps. Some games are very large now and you can't sync any of them with iCloud.

haddman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
It may (now) be wishful thinking, but I too think the 3G rumor could make it. iOS5 is heavy on the iCloud & iMessage stuff. That practically begs for anywhere/anytime options to connect to the Internet. It seems "less" to limit iCloud & iMessage to only when one can find some wifi.

As such, I'm still believing (maybe fantasizing) that the iPad 3G data options and on-demand 3G plans make it to this new iPod. Yes, that would be one more step toward it being an iPhone but no more of a step than what already exists in the iPad 3G (since Gen 1). The iPhone would still have plenty of features to distinguish it from this iPod, so I don't see the perceived "threat" (to iPhone sales) that some imagine; instead, I see those that can afford an iPhone and iPhone plans still buying a "real phone" and those that can't/won't NOT necessarily buying someone else's 3G device and getting locked into someone else's app store.

I think there are specific markets for this iPod with 3G data concept... markets that are unwilling to pay up for the 3G plans hooked to an iPhone. Apple should not let those markets go to Android and/or mifi options (for cheaper 3G options than iPhone). Some of those markets will be buying their first "real phone" in a few years. If they own a bunch of iTunes apps, that first "real phone" will be the iPhone 7 or 8. If Apple ignores that market such that they buy Android, then they'll have a bunch of Android apps when shopping for their first "real phone".

To me it would make no sense to create an ipod with 3g option...why not just make the iPhone 4S available with a data only plan?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Not needed (128GB) if it's connected to iCloud.

But that's where it would need always-available connection to the iCloud. For that it has to come with 3G options. If the big memory is reduced to little memory because of the iCloud, then the device becomes somewhat dependent on being (always) able to connect to the iCloud. If it's still limited to just wifi, then it's cut off from the iCloud until you can find free wifi, so the concept of replacing memory with iCloud fails in the moment when you can't find free wifi (it would be like a chunk of the Flash memory failing on current iPods).

Then, the problem with 3G being THE answer for this concept is the tier-ing of 3G data options. For example, as little as 1 movie streamed from iCloud could burn up all of the 3G tier of the $25 iPad AT&T option. If a person wants to consume a lot of media in a month, they'll probably want to still sync a lot of it to avoid having to pay the 3G tolls. If so, they'll need lots of Flash, not less Flash.

This is always the problem with all ideas about storing everything in iCloud: access to that everything involves paying tolls to those between us and the cloud. And the 3G toll-masters are increasingly pinching how much data can flow through their gates.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
iCloud is a storage syncing service, not really an online locker even though they will keep music, etc. (purchased via iTunes) available.

What iCloud will not do is sync/store apps. Some games are very large now and you can't sync any of them with iCloud.

First of all you're wrong, second of all, iCloud is not even OUT yet. They've developed a really impressive list of services to launch iCloud with, and you know that this is going to eventually contain EVERYTHING, including App data.

Secondly, with iTunes Match you do not need space to store every song you own. Not at all. It actually works as a complete cloud locker for all of your music, and you only download what you play and can remove it afterward. This removes the need to sync and keeps your music available at all times.

This isn't AS useful on wifi only devices, but still very useful.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
First of all you're wrong, second of all, iCloud is not even OUT yet. They've developed a really impressive list of services to launch iCloud with, and you know that this is going to eventually contain EVERYTHING, including App data.

Secondly, with iTunes Match you do not need space to store every song you own. Not at all. It actually works as a complete cloud locker for all of your music, and you only download what you play and can remove it afterward. This removes the need to sync and keeps your music available at all times.

This isn't AS useful on wifi only devices, but still very useful.
iTunes Match is a *pay* service and this is a thread about a WiFi-only device, the iPod touch.

The need for local storage remains as long as things like apps aren't synced to iCloud. The preliminary iCloud does not have app syncing. It might eventually store data, but you're not going to be able to keep 800MB games in iCloud right now. Perhaps in a few years, but we are talking about RIGHT NOW because what iCloud is this year affects this year's purchase decisions, not what iCloud will be in two years.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
To me it would make no sense to create an ipod with 3g option...why not just make the iPhone 4S available with a data only plan?

Because an iPhone 4S is probably going to be priced around unlocked iPhone prices now. If so, that option is already available to the public but some of that public doesn't want to pay that much for it when there are Android and Mifi devices that cover this need for so much less. The "sense" is in choosing to compete for THAT business rather than letting Android and Mifi companies have it.

Who's that market? The parents of teens/tweens who have kids begging for 3G-capable devices for mostly texting purposes. Those teens/tweens would love to be given an iPhone but the parents don't want to buy a $600+ device and a 3G plan. This iPod with 3G data concept (if the 3G piece matches the 3G options of an iPad 3G) costs about half for the hardware and only $15 or $25/month for them to be able to text like crazy.

As a parent of one of these teens myself, I'd buy that iPod 3G in a second. Last year, we did this same thing by deciding against buying an iPhone (because the total cost of ownership is too high for what will be mostly used as a texting device). So we bought our kid an iPod Touch and a Mifi device (because we could get a much cheaper 3G plan via Mifi than the minimum requirements with an iPhone). That's worked well for these purposes except she- and many of her friends who's parents did the same- would really like the Mifi part built into the iDevice (one device instead of two). We'll happily pay up for a new iPod 3G this year to give her that, but we won't pay up considerably more for an iPhone... unless an iPhone is launched unlocked (no 24-month contract required) at iPod-like prices (but then I think that iPhone probably kills the iTouch line- I mean, if you can get a "whole" iPhone for an iPod Touch price and it is not bound to a 24-month contract, why buy an iPod Touch?)

Why should Apple be interested in THAT business? Because these teens will accumulate apps on whatever device they are given. Then, in a few years, when they can buy their own "real phone" they'll be more likely to buy one compatible with the app library they already own rather than switching and having to re-buy the same apps again. Thus, for Apple, it's a strategic move aimed at locking in a share of first-time phone buyers looking to buy a new iPhone 7 or 8 in a few years.

Last edited:

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
I'm betting that the "product transition" mentioned by Tim Cook
would be the iPod Touch with phone capabilities calling it as iPhone 4+ or iPhone 4s.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
BS. iPod touch was the "ultimate" apple gaming device, wasn't it? They even made game center because of that, and now you're telling me it doesn't deserve not even a A5 chip? cmon, failrumors. I'm still in hope there will be ipad-like 3G. I don't need iPhone, just a touch connected to internet everywhere :/

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
That looks like a white sticker to me :confused:

Confused? Read the caption then, mate. It's a modded current gen iPod touch. It is essentially a white sticker.

I would be rather amused if the tapered design did turn out to be the new iPod Touch. Every other day, the rumors conflict the ones from the day before and go round and around again. I'm sea sick with them.

Really though, with maybe a boost in capacity and processor speed, isn't much to add to the iPod touch. It's also still the best selling iPod, but iPod sales are on a rapid decline as the market for them tends to be more tweens and teens who don't have smart phones (and are fastly getting them).

Will be more interesting to see if 1. Sony's Android Walkman (with pretty sweet sound and features) sells (the Android component will be a game changer and have something to compete with for once) and 2. If Apple will bump the iPod Touch's specs up a bit next year in response.

I don't think the Sony Android Walkman will be another Zune. People actually want Android products, unlike MS.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
iTunes Match is a *pay* service and this is a thread about a WiFi-only device, the iPod touch.

The need for local storage remains as long as things like apps aren't synced to iCloud. The preliminary iCloud does not have app syncing. It might eventually store data, but you're not going to be able to keep 800MB games in iCloud right now. Perhaps in a few years, but we are talking about RIGHT NOW because what iCloud is this year affects this year's purchase decisions, not what iCloud will be in two years.

how many 800 mb games do you actually have? more than 64 gb iPod touch can handle? no you don't. your point is fantasy fud.

no one needs more than 16 gb on any of these devices, and 64 is enough for even the totally obsessed data storer.

iTunes match $25 PER YEAR. are you cheap? you'd rather pay a $100 premium on top of the already overpriced 64 gb model to buy a 128 gb model, instead of getting a 8 or 16 gb and paying $25?

try thinking your ideas through

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.