Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Is there such a thing? Evernote does the job to a large extent, but its a subscription service. Was hoping to just purchase outright.

Last edited:

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Evernote is free. That will be the easiest. I used to be a big fan (I'm still a premium member) but the recent update really screwed things up, and I've had notes in both iOS and OSX fail to save proprerly.

I would strongly recommend Elements. Elements works on iPad, iPhone, and iPod. It saves the notes in a folder in Dropbox. You can edit notes using Scrivener, Notational Velocity, or any other note program you like. Those programs sync well. I like the system.

I am really keen on VoodooPad (OSX and iOS). My only complaint is that you need to use WebDav or MobilMe. The developer might do Dropbox someday.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I should have mentioned that I guess I'm looking for some of the features that you only get with Evernote premium.

Thanks for the heads up about Elements. Someone told me about that yesterday (I think, if its the same one he mentioned, actually suggesting we use it for our work on an upcoming project)...

I'll check it out. Thanks!!

Evernote is free. That will be the easiest. I used to be a big fan (I'm still a premium member) but the recent update really screwed things up, and I've had notes in both iOS and OSX fail to save proprerly.

I would strongly recommend Elements. Elements works on iPad, iPhone, and iPod. It saves the notes in a folder in Dropbox. You can edit notes using Scrivener, Notational Velocity, or any other note program you like. Those programs sync well. I like the system.

I am really keen on VoodooPad (OSX and iOS). My only complaint is that you need to use WebDav or MobilMe. The developer might do Dropbox someday.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Yeah. Evernote is an incredibly powerful program if you are a premium member. Elements only does text. The only thing comparable to Evernote that I know of is DevonThink, but it is expensive, so I haven't given it a real try.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Yup looking at the Evernote premium info it looks lime its a grea thing. I wonder if iCloud is going to do anything like that? As far as what apple has said so far, there's been no mention of anything like that.. If thats trey when it comes out, I might spring for a year of Evernote I guess...

Yeah. Evernote is an incredibly powerful program if you are a premium member. Elements only does text. The only thing comparable to Evernote that I know of is DevonThink, but it is expensive, so I haven't given it a real try.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I doubt anything (Amazon or others) will replicate Evernote. They have carved out their niche and taken up residence. You could try the premium service on a monthly basis if you are unsure.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Google Docs - if you just need to type texts and other simple things.

Does anyone actually use it on a regular basis? I am thrilled by the concept (I use it sometimes in OSX, and I sync Google docs spreadsheets with one app on my iPad), and really want it to work, but it seems useless to me on the iPad.

In mobile mode all you can do is type text. There are apps that do that (see my comment about Evernote) in a far more accessible manner and don't need an always-on connection. And, when you switch to desktop mode it goes all buggy and becomes useless with Safari. With iCabMobile I can't even get it to switch to desktop mode. Personally, I'd stay away from it for now. They really need to get an app.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I use Notebooks for iPad (and the iPhone version) to handle all my writing and research needs. Syncs to Dropbox & compatible with Scrivener on the Mac--plus they're supposed to be releasing a Mac version sometime this fall. And it's also webDAV compatible if you prefer, or you can use Bonjour to sync over wifi to the computer. It supports MultiMarkdown as well for formatting. The only thing I don't like is that it's not a universal app, but since it allows me to organize my notes in ways no other app seems to, it's been my most used app since I first bought an iPad over a year ago. No regrets on having to spend the money for both apps.

And unlike Evernote, I don't need to shell out a monthly amount. That was a big turnoff for me, though I know others adore it and it appears to have some awesome features. I just don't want to have to pay monthly merely for the privilege of viewing my own data on the device of my choosing.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I use Notebooks for iPad (and the iPhone version) to handle all my writing and research needs. Syncs to Dropbox & compatible with Scrivener on the Mac--plus they're supposed to be releasing a Mac version sometime this fall. And it's also webDAV compatible if you prefer, or you can use Bonjour to sync over wifi to the computer. It supports MultiMarkdown as well for formatting. The only thing I don't like is that it's not a universal app, but since it allows me to organize my notes in ways no other app seems to, it's been my most used app since I first bought an iPad over a year ago. No regrets on having to spend the money for both apps.

And unlike Evernote, I don't need to shell out a monthly amount. That was a big turnoff for me, though I know others adore it and it appears to have some awesome features. I just don't want to have to pay monthly merely for the privilege of viewing my own data on the device of my choosing.

I've heard good things about Notebook and I am tempted, but it is yet another $9. I am getting nickeled and dimed to death. Ugh. I may breakdown someday. Right now I am fine, because Elements syncs perfectly with Scrivener, and it also supports multimarkdown, but I am still curious.

The little-known benefit of Evernote is that data storage is cumulative. Not only can you view documents in any format, but you can upload 1GB of stuff a month. By the end of a college career, you could have 48GB of PDFs and other stuff that are permanently available to you anytime, anyplace. To me, that seems worth the money. I don't know if I would recommend it for writing or research, though, because the developers refuse to enable hierarchical arrangements of notes (crucial for research) or internal linking to notes within your account.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I've heard good things about Notebook and I am tempted, but it is yet another $9. I am getting nickeled and dimed to death. Ugh. I may breakdown someday. Right now I am fine, because Elements syncs perfectly with Scrivener, and it also supports multimarkdown, but I am still curious.

The little-known benefit of Evernote is that data storage is cumulative. Not only can you view documents in any format, but you can upload 1GB of stuff a month. By the end of a college career, you could have 48GB of PDFs and other stuff that are permanently available to you anytime, anyplace. To me, that seems worth the money. I don't know if I would recommend it for writing or research, though, because the developers refuse to enable hierarchical arrangements of notes (crucial for research) or internal linking to notes within your account.

I hear you on the price tag. I was lucky enough I discovered Notebooks early on--before I bought too many others--and that my husband bought Pages, so I never wasted the $10 on that only to find out that was useless for my needs.

(On the other hand, I more than made up for that savings by going through half the task management apps instead... LOL)

For me, well, I've been using computers for long enough that I tend to organize (and think) in terms of nested folders rather than tag clouds--old school style. Finding an app that would allow me to organize my notes the same way I think was critical so I'd be better able to use what I had saved, and for me, that meant infinite nesting. Notebooks has essentially replaced the Notes app on both devices, as well as provided a word processing capability that's sufficient for most of my needs and a repository for web articles, images, and all the random bits of stuff I turn up while researching other things. I've used it to write the first 15,000 words of a book, to help plan out a house remodel, to collect articles on wireless network design, and to take notes at conferences. Obviously it's been pretty versatile for me, but it probably won't suit everyone.

I also tend to keyboard input rather than use a stylus, so that's another factor to consider. My husband, for example, uses his iPad in meetings at work and has tried PaperDesk and a few others. Lately, he's using Penultimate for everything, because I gave him a Pogo Sketch stylus that for me was a failed experiment. He loves it. Notebooks doesn't appeal to him, or the way he thinks/works.

I'm just glad there's finally more options out there. Everyone's priorites are different, and I know not everyone likes to organize their data the same way.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I hear you on the price tag. I was lucky enough I discovered Notebooks early on--before I bought too many others--and that my husband bought Pages, so I never wasted the $10 on that only to find out that was useless for my needs.

(On the other hand, I more than made up for that savings by going through half the task management apps instead... LOL)

For me, well, I've been using computers for long enough that I tend to organize (and think) in terms of nested folders rather than tag clouds--old school style. Finding an app that would allow me to organize my notes the same way I think was critical so I'd be better able to use what I had saved, and for me, that meant infinite nesting. Notebooks has essentially replaced the Notes app on both devices, as well as provided a word processing capability that's sufficient for most of my needs and a repository for web articles, images, and all the random bits of stuff I turn up while researching other things. I've used it to write the first 15,000 words of a book, to help plan out a house remodel, to collect articles on wireless network design, and to take notes at conferences. Obviously it's been pretty versatile for me, but it probably won't suit everyone.

I also tend to keyboard input rather than use a stylus, so that's another factor to consider. My husband, for example, uses his iPad in meetings at work and has tried PaperDesk and a few others. Lately, he's using Penultimate for everything, because I gave him a Pogo Sketch stylus that for me was a failed experiment. He loves it. Notebooks doesn't appeal to him, or the way he thinks/works.

I'm just glad there's finally more options out there. Everyone's priorites are different, and I know not everyone likes to organize their data the same way.

Thanks for sharing that. I think I will take the plunge :)

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for sharing that. I think I will take the plunge :)

Sure thing--I owe you for the Incase Origami, since it's your "fault" I bought it. :D (It's been great, you did a good job recommending it.)

Do check on linking notes within the app though if that's a critical feature for you--I've no idea if it's supported as it's not a function I've needed. The Dev is usually pretty responsive, and I believe a PDF of the manual is on his site. There was just an update a couple of days ago as well, not sure if that will be reflected in the manual yet or not.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The problem I have with Evernote is that while it's great for rich text, web clipping, etc., it sucks for plain text. Markdown supported text apps suit such needs better, such as Elements, Nocs, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.