Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Makes for a comfortable workspace. Replaced my Herman Miller chair with it, and not looking back. Those just were not a good fit for me.

That's what I need. I'm a big fella, 6' 6" and 330lbs. I HATE the arm rests on chairs.

I lucked up on one yesterday that has no arm rests on it. Just a cheap one, I'll upgrade later.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
That's what I need. I'm a big fella, 6' 6" and 330lbs. I HATE the arm rests on chairs.

I lucked up on one yesterday that has no arm rests on it. Just a cheap one, I'll upgrade later.

The Herman Miller Aeron can be ordered in a larger size and the arms on the chair can be pushed out so that a larger person can fit in them. I am fairly sure they can be ordered without arms, as well.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Herman Miller Aeron (at work and at home)

How is it? I'm seriously considering buying one but it'll cost at least £600 with posturefit. I've read the the front can dig into your legs at times, have you experienced this? Does it help with low back pain if you have had it? Is it worth the amount you paid for it?

Any other info would be great thank you :)

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
How is it? I'm seriously considering buying one but it'll cost at least £600 with posturefit. I've read the the front can dig into your legs at times, have you experienced this? Does it help with low back pain if you have had it? Is it worth the amount you paid for it?
I have the large version at work. I have never had it dig into my legs. I read the same thing and was also worried about it. I had back pain from a chair that was too small for my 6'5 frame and the Aeron has definitely helped. As I mentioned, I much prefer the posturefit version.

I would not want one for home because it has no neck support and I like to lean back and listen to music.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
I have the large version at work. I have never had it dig into my legs. I read the same thing and was also worried about it. I had back pain from a chair that was too small for my 6'5 frame and the Aeron has definitely helped. As I mentioned, I much prefer the posturefit version.

I would not want one for home because it has no neck support and I like to lean back and listen to music.

Great thanks. The reseller in the UK also suggested that without the posturefit, it would be better to get the HM Mirra instead. I'm 6'2 and sit on a leather executive chair from staples... Leather which means it gets uncomfortable after a few hours (heat), which is why I like the aeron over the embody.

Do you have the plastic or leather armrests? How are they? I've also read they are 'difficult' to adjust.

You can also get headrests for the Aeron apparently.

Thank you

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind

Any other info would be great thank you :)

I'm 5'11" and have never experienced the front digging into my legs (I have the medium chair at home and the large at work). I've had one at work for at least 5 years and the one at home for two. I have the vinyl armrests, they're comfortable enough and very easy to adjust....almost too easy adjusting them "side-to-side". I've never seen a headrest for an Aeron. Got my home one from ebay - much better price w/shipping (and no sales tax) than I could find at any other online stores - and no one within 50 miles carries them where I could just go pick one up.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
I'm 5'11" and have never experienced the front digging into my legs (I have the medium chair at home and the large at work). I've had one at work for at least 5 years and the one at home for two. I have the vinyl armrests, they're comfortable enough and very easy to adjust....almost too easy adjusting them "side-to-side". I've never seen a headrest for an Aeron. Got my home one from ebay - much better price w/shipping (and no sales tax) than I could find at any other online stores - and no one within 50 miles carries them where I could just go pick one up.

I haven't seen the headrests for sale at the main online reseller but they do exist:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEADREST-FOR-HERMAN-MILLER-AERON-CHAIR-/120749233733#ht_635wt_1398

Kinda a dumb question, but do you think it;s 100% essential that I try out the chair before buying? The journey is at least 2 hours to my nearest store and I won't even be buying it from them. I guess I could buy online and check the returns policy?

thank you for the input

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
My home chair is a Bungee Chair from THE CONTAINER STORE. I wish I could have something like it at work. We have those cheapo standard office chairs.

Attachments

• BungeeOfficeChairStrippedOutGreen_x.jpg
    BungeeOfficeChairStrippedOutGreen_x.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 600

keith6

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
Love this chair

About as good as it gets for comfort

Attachments

• office2.jpg
    office2.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 590

idreamstudios

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
How much and where?

I have the large sized Aeron at work (I am tall) and a large IMG reclining office chair at home:

This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, a comfortable chair for us...eh ehm....big and tall guys....maybe more "big" than we are tall....I'm 5-11...do tell, where did you purchase this and how much did it set you back? :cool:

stealthelf43

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Aeron

This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, a comfortable chair for us...eh ehm....big and tall guys....maybe more "big" than we are tall....I'm 5-11...do tell, where did you purchase this and how much did it set you back? :cool:

I know a company in the UK that sells them but I'm guessing you're a US user?

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado

I'd say you could find a used Aeron on craigslist (or something similar) for something like $400-600.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Which chair? The IMG was around $1100, if I remember correctly. Then Aeron was supplied by the company I work for, but I think they cost less than $900.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Aeron & Embody
I like the Eames Lounge in the back. I almost bought one, but the sales rep talked me out of it because of my height (6'5)....I was unable to try one myself, so I had to take her word for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.