Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aras87

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
Exactly. Got my 13" 2011 model and it has the Toshiba SSD. Everything loads instantly or just about. It's fine.

Benchmarks make things look out of proportion. Example: Numbers is a 200 MB app. The Toshiba SSD reads 200MB per second. So loading it will take 1 second, versus 0.8 seconds with the samsung that's 20% faster. Can you tell the difference between 2 tenths of a second in normal everyday use? No.

And once something is loaded to memory, the point is moot anyway. So on the second time you launch Numbers, it will load the same on both anyway.

Just enjoy what you have. It could be worse, this could be 1998 and you could be using a Dell.

I have quite a bit of experience with mbas now that I exchanged 6 of them (3toshibas 3 samsugs ssds) and I can easily say that toshibas actually boot 1-2secs faster and they close a second faster than samsung ssds. This was very consistent between all units. Also launching big apps like photobooth or office was slightly faster on toshiba drives(although very hard to notice, you have to have them side by side). Now I never tried copying large files so maybe samsung is faster there. Feel free to go to an apple store and try it yourself side by side. Those reviews at anandtech and other places are kind of misleading. I think day to day operations like faster booting is much more important than faster large file copying which I personally do very rarely. just my 2 cents

GA84

Oct 16, 2008
MBA 13" 256GB i7

LG-Phillips display.
Samsung ssd.

The display itself looks just fine if you ask me.

It is however still going back because I find the display hinges way to loose. Does anybody else experience that?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
MBA 13" 256GB i7
It is however still going back because I find the display hinges way to loose. Does anybody else experience that?

Mine is solid as a rock after nearly 2 months. I'd take it back.

GA84

Oct 16, 2008
Mine is solid as a rock after nearly 2 months. I'd take it back.

I am. As a matter of fact the 'returning it to Apple process' has already been initiated.

It's not that the hinges are super loose. The screen will not close if you hold the keyboard part of the body at a 90º vertical angle. But I have played with a couple of other 13" MBA's and their hinges were all, like you put it, rock solid.

Sturdy hinges make a world of difference. They make the entire machine feel much more solid.

dimitris777

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; el-gr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

13" core i7/256 samsung ssd and screen. Bought from Denver USA a month ago.

Note: In comparison to the previous model, 2010 core2duo, I prefer the way of function of this MacBook with the snow leopard..

DieterRams

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I have quite a bit of experience with mbas now that I exchanged 6 of them (3toshibas 3 samsugs ssds) and I can easily say that toshibas actually boot 1-2secs faster and they close a second faster than samsung ssds. This was very consistent between all units. Also launching big apps like photobooth or office was slightly faster on toshiba drives(although very hard to notice, you have to have them side by side). Now I never tried copying large files so maybe samsung is faster there. Feel free to go to an apple store and try it yourself side by side. Those reviews at anandtech and other places are kind of misleading. I think day to day operations like faster booting is much more important than faster large file copying which I personally do very rarely. just my 2 cents

But what about the panels? Did you get to compare any LG vs Samsung panels? If so, how did they compare? I heard there may be a difference in viewing angles or something else?

Aras87

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
But what about the panels? Did you get to compare any LG vs Samsung panels? If so, how did they compare? I heard there may be a difference in viewing angles or something else?

I had 4 LGs and 2 Samsungs. I didn't notice any significant difference between them as far as viewing angles were concerned however LGs looked slightly washed out whereas Samsungs looked more vibrant. At the end I prefer Samsung panel.

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
11.6" i7 MBA - 4GB/256GB

Samsung SSD (SC256)
LG Display (LP116WH4-TJA3)

bought in Fairview Apple Store.

Surprisingly my LG display does not exhibit the washed out colours@100% brightness that I saw in the other LG display on 11.6" MBA in the Apple Store.

So mine is a good LG display with great blacks but I have to admit the vertical viewing angle is not that great. Not sure if the Samsung one is better?

Ditto.. purchased today same machine spec from same location. Hmm.. how to check the washed out look?

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Just got my 13" base from MacConnection. The 13" base is always going out of stock so I'm pretty sure it's fresh from the factory.

Display - LTH133BT01A03 (Samsung)
SSD - SM128C (Samsung)

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
New macbook air bought at local Apple store saturday ( 9/24/2011 ).

13 inch i5 256 gb SSD.

Samsung SSD and Samsung display.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
11" - SM256C / LP116WH4-TJA3

So the SM is Samsung on the SSD... which display is this? Mine looks fine to me. It has a very slight yellow tint compared to the display on my 17" MacBook Pro, but so did the display on my old 2010 11" that I sold a few months back. But other than that, it's a gorgeous display. Every bit as good as my MBP.

I got mine at the Apple Store in Woodland Hills not quite two weeks ago.

Rob

Last edited:

komoornik

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
Am I the only one here who is going crazy coz of the people posting here model number of the LCD and asking which one is it ?

There's only *****ng two brands!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.