Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-mattias-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
For about a week ago my MacBook Pro first started doing it, it began freezing very often and there was nothing to do other than rebooting it. So I decided to do a clean install of Snow Leopard, because maybe that would work, so I started my Mac from the Snow Leopard install disk, partioned my harddrive and installed Snow Leopard, I then rebooted. But when it turned on again all I was met with was a totally black screen, no chime or anything, just a black screen.

I rebooted it again and got to the setup assistent. But whenever I got to the migration and clicked to not import anything, it froze. I tried it several times, sometimes it wouldn't even start up, just a black screen with no chime.

Then finally today it didn't freeze, and I created my account. But now it said there was no AirPort card installed. So I rebooted it, and was and till now have been met with constantly freezing when booting, sometimes the Grey logo appears, but with the spinning thing frozen, and other times it just shows a black screen with no chime.

So I don't really know what to do. Any help is really appreciated!

-mattias-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
I tried turning it on again, and this time it worked, and now AirPort is also working fine, but I still think there's something wrong.

No, I haven't. Will try it now.

----------

I hold the d-button at the chime sound, but nothing happened, it just turned on as usually. Am I doing anything wrong?

-mattias-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Okay, so I did the hardware test, but it said there wasn't any problems.

-mattias-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Took the extended test and it gave the following result (translated):

Warning! Apple Hardware Test has found an error.

4SNS/ 1 /40000001:TN1D- -1.000

Control number: 2,
Total testtime: 57 minutes 23 seconds

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans

4SNS/1/40000001:TN1D--1.000 means your screwed if you're out of warranty.

That error translates to your northbridge temperature sensor is bad- BUT IN MAC "GENIUS" LAND, that means you either need a whole new logic board (a $700 part) or buy a new MacBook. On the non-unibody MacBook pros, you could have came to my store and spend $75 and had a working computer the same day- this is no longer possible on the unibody MacBooks.

WHY, WHY, WHY?
In a bold design move, Apple decided to SOLDER the thermal sensors to the logic board (along with many other components such as the video, graphics and IO), thus rendering these parts NON-SERVICEABLE by us independant technicians. Apple's reasoning is that they can "make their notebooks thinner", but why sacrifice performace for asthetics? Who cares? Not Apple. Buy a new MacBook.

WHO NEEDS TEMPERATURE SENSORS?
It doesn't matter if your laptop is running hot or not, when a temperature sensor goes bad on a Mac, it shuts your computer down to prevent further damage. Apple was the first company to implement this "failsafe", now PC motherboard vendors are following suit after watching Apple's stock soar. What this means: Is that you could actually have a perfectly functioning MacBook except for one thing; the little guy who's sole purpose is to report whether it's not the computer is running hot or not has decided to not show up for work, so they closed up shop. If you ask me, it's the equivalent of a restaraunt closing on account of not having a dishwasher- but that's just the opinion of an ex-certified ACMT and what do I know- I'm not a "genius" or anything.

I love Apple and Apple products. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.