Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Whats the diff between Chrome and Chrome Canary? It appears to be faster and lighter than regular Chrome... That may just be because its a brand new browser though. But there must be a disadvantage to Canary, because why use regular Chrome if Canary is faster?

dance2noise002

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
I'm using it right now it's up to version 16.0.889.3. It's like a mash of dev version Chrome with the latest features. For me, it's just as stable as Chrome itself. There's really no downside. Go for it!

reil

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Seattle, WA
i wouldn't recommend you use canary unless you specifically need something from it. the closer to the source you go, the less testing it received so you can be in a broken state. i'm using the dev version and every once in a while it'll update and a webpage doesn't load properly anymore or random things break here or there.

for the most cutting edge, you can get the chromium builds, which google takes, adds google specific stuff and create canary, which after some testing, gets put into dev, and after some testing, goes to stable.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Chrome has 4 different channel releases Canary > Developer > Beta > Stable

Stable: the finalized build version of Chrome (theoretically the most stable; present features are likely to stay and/or be improved in later versions)

Beta: the near finalized build version of Chrome (usually 1 version ahead of the Stable build; may have new/extra features not present in Stable build; slightly less stable [theoretically] than finalized Stable build)

Developer: version in which new features may be added and [most] bugs worked out by way of nightly and/or frequent updates (usually 1 version ahead of Beta and 2 versions ahead of Stable build; may have extra features not present in Beta and Stable builds, though those are non-finalized and thus may not make it to Beta or Stable build; less stable [theoretically] than finalized Stable and Beta builds)

Canary: the earliest version of chrome; newest features will first be seen here (usually same version as Developer, 1 version ahead of Beta and 2 versions ahead of Stable build; many experimental features that may be altered and/or may not make it to the final product; less stable [theoretically] than finalized Stable and Beta builds, but actually is of same/greater stability as Developer build)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome#Release_history

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
i wouldn't recommend you use canary unless you specifically need something from it. the closer to the source you go, the less testing it received so you can be in a broken state. i'm using the dev version and every once in a while it'll update and a webpage doesn't load properly anymore or random things break here or there.

for the most cutting edge, you can get the chromium builds, which google takes, adds google specific stuff and create canary, which after some testing, gets put into dev, and after some testing, goes to stable.

Well I have the stable version too... But I haven't encountered any bugs in Canary after using it for one and a half days, so I think I'll stick with it unless a major problem pops up.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Well I have the stable version too... But I haven't encountered any bugs in Canary after using it for one and a half days, so I think I'll stick with it unless a major problem pops up.

I use Canary exclusively and have no problems whatsoever with it. Of course, I have Firefox and Opera installed for the times I need to use those as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.