Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2011
I'm looking for a bit more of a rugged case, and am trying to choose between the two. I've ruled out the Otterbox, because it looks terrible and doesn't seem to have any of the protection that either the Griffin or LP cases do.

Has anyone had one of these, then switched to the other? Has anyone got either, and have pro's and con's of each?

I'm leaning towards the Griffin, but I was hoping to get a direct comparison before pulling the trigger.

lgreenberg

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Chester Springs, PA
The obviously question is do you need waterproof protection? The Lifeproof has it while the Survivor does not.

I'm not sure it's fair to say that the Defender doesn't offer the same sort of protection as the others - it does.

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2011
That's a good question. The answer is, I'm not sure. I want to be able to use the phone in a light rain, but I don't want to significantly reduce speaker or microphone performance.

I didn't think the Otterbox had any water resistance at all, which both of the others do.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I have a Survivor and have used it in light rain and protects well. I like the Survivor better than the Otterbox Defender as it ads more protection. I like the rear camera protection.

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Really? That seems odd. It is packaged the other way. Perhaps a carefully drilled hole would prevent depression of the home button.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1095156/

There is some good info in that thread.

I'm still using my Seido rugged and other than the camera flap annoying the crap out of me, I really like the case. The belt clip is a big plus - even if it is big! LOL!! It will hang on the smallest seam, I just never have to worry about it coming off what I've clipped it too.

I'm ultra paranoid about rain.... Probably more than i need to be, but I'm scared of getting any on it! LOL!!

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1095156/

There is some good info in that thread.

I'm still using my Seido rugged and other than the camera flap annoying the crap out of me, I really like the case. The belt clip is a big plus - even if it is big! LOL!! It will hang on the smallest seam, I just never have to worry about it coming off what I've clipped it too.

I'm ultra paranoid about rain.... Probably more than i need to be, but I'm scared of getting any on it! LOL!!

I tried the Seido Rugged. It doesn't have a front built in screen protector.

----------

The obviously question is do you need waterproof protection? The Lifeproof has it while the Survivor does not.

I'm not sure it's fair to say that the Defender doesn't offer the same sort of protection as the others - it does.

I agree however since the Survivor rubber is different type than the Defender it doesn't attract nearly as much lint. And the Defender silicon seems to get loose after a period of time and the Survivor doesn't.

I tried the Sedio Rugged and liked it even though it didnt have a built in screen protector. I like to change my protective case to a non protective case on the weekends. I don't like the Seidio case I prefer Otterbox Commuter. I couldn't remove my iPhone from the stock Seidio case!! I tried like crazy! Thank goodness the rep at the AT&T store helped me. I had to spread the case while he wedged a piece of card between the separation while I was spreading the inner case. Still couldn't get it! Even after pressing down on the back to try to dis engage the snap. After an hour we finally did it.

Then I went next door to Best Buy and returned it.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
These are the key differences between the two:

Survivor:
Tough drop protection
Rain-resistant
Bulky

LifeProof:
Waterproof
Slim
Moderate drop protection

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Lifeproof! Slim, protective, great to use. I've had mine since June. Don't ever want to use anything else.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
You are better off with the Survivor. The Lifeproof is a really cheap feeling case that has usability issues. Just making calls on it is a chore. The audio performance is terrible. Muffled speakerphone and low volume as a whole. Not to mention the really weird gap of air between the screen protector and the screen.

Oh, and if you drop it, you will damage it. Mine took a tumble onto some concrete from about waist high and it is completely marked up. You also can't take it on and off. The company says fifty times, but I did it 4 times. On the last time, the plastic has somewhat warped and now has a hard time getting shut. I now question the integrity of it being totally waterproof.

The Survivor, while not totally slim, is the way to go. The silicone is great and doesn't stick to your pocket. The clip is fine as long as you carry the phone screen facing out as the home button likes to press itself which is my only complaint. Functionality is fine as long as it is not face in on the clip.

The Lifeproof is waterproof and that is really all it has going for it. The Survivor is the way to go. I have used it off and on for months when traveling and needing some extra protection. Great case and has held up from some really bad drops with little to marking marking on the case. Much better than the Otterbox too.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
You are better off with the Survivor. The Lifeproof is a really cheap feeling case that has usability issues. Just making calls on it is a chore. The audio performance is terrible. Muffled speakerphone and low volume as a whole. Not to mention the really weird gap of air between the screen protector and the screen.

Oh, and if you drop it, you will damage it. Mine took a tumble onto some concrete from about waist high and it is completely marked up. You also can't take it on and off. The company says fifty times, but I did it 4 times. On the last time, the plastic has somewhat warped and now has a hard time getting shut. I now question the integrity of it being totally waterproof. End Quote.

My response:
If you're having audio problems and "pillowing" of the screen, contact them for a replacement. My calls are clear and easy to hear, and the screen is flat. I don't even notice it's on. Yes, it will ding when you drop it on concrete, but that's part of why it protects so well. I hope when you opened the case you followed the directions. Peeling the back off like a banana will warp it. I've had three cases, different colors, not because they weren't great. I've used it since June with no problems after having the front replaced on the first one for echoing on speakerphone. They have made multiple improvements since the initial release. I highly recommend the Lifeproof case.

----------

I forgot to mention, it is now available in Best Buy, but for $10 more. Lifeproof has a 30 day return policy and up to a one year warranty. Try it, if you don't like it, return it. You probably won't.

Last edited:

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010

Oh, and if you drop it, you will damage it. Mine took a tumble onto some concrete from about waist high and it is completely marked up. You also can't take it on and off. The company says fifty times, but I did it 4 times. On the last time, the plastic has somewhat warped and now has a hard time getting shut. I now question the integrity of it being totally waterproof. End Quote.

My response:
If you're having audio problems and "pillowing" of the screen, contact them for a replacement. My calls are clear and easy to hear, and the screen is flat. I don't even notice it's on. Yes, it will ding when you drop it on concrete, but that's part of why it protects so well. I hope when you opened the case you followed the directions. Peeling the back off like a banana will warp it. I've had three cases, different colors, not because they weren't great. I've used it since June with no problems after having the front replaced on the first one for echoing on speakerphone. They have made multiple improvements since the initial release. I highly recommend the Lifeproof case.

----------

I forgot to mention, it is now available in Best Buy, but for $10 more. Lifeproof has a 30 day return policy and up to a one year warranty. Try it, if you don't like it, return it. You probably won't.

I have the "updated version". Still not a quality product. Especially not for the premium price they are asking for it. It looks, feels, and operates like a cheap Tupperware container. Cheap all around. It only lays flat for a short time. You have to keep pressing the air out the front screen protector to cure the pillowing. Everytime you take off the headphone screw or flip open the charging port, it will pillow again. Speakerphone and audio in general is still poor.

The only thing it has going for it is that yes, it is waterproof. If that is what you need then the Lifeproof is basically your only option. Other than a select niche market, no one needs a waterproof case. Water resistant sure, but the stupid videos of people taking their phone swimming is really Lifeproof's only true claim to fame.

The Survivor is a better case all around. Especially for the around $20 you can get it for on Amazon. Mine has survived so much damage and abuse it is a true surprise that my Survivor is still functional.

In any event, the Lifeproof case is not worth $70 at all. If it was cheaper then maybe I could overlook some of the flaws, but not for the high end price.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
I still disagree. My screen is perfectly flat. Again my advise to you is, if it's not satisfactory to you contact them. They will make sure you are satisfied. I prefer the "Tupperware" feel as it makes the case light, small yet still very protective. BTW, it only feels "cheap" until installed, then it is firm and substantial.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
The screen isn't perfect and does have a bit of ripples that cause odd reflections in direct sunlight. I came to get used to it though and it isn't really that bad.

I would also have to disagree with the buddy that said this case feels cheap, it doesn't.

lifeproof_iphone4_glare.jpg

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2011
I saw the Lifeproof case in person. I'm going to go with the Survivor. It looks like exactly what I want. I might modify the clip so that I can have the screen inwards, though.

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Just an update:

I ended up getting the Survivor. Turns out, the belt-clip has a detent for the home button! So you can carry screen-in or screen-out. The clip is surprisingly durable, so I'm pretty happy with it overall.

Rm.237

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Somewhere
Looking to get the Survivor myself. Griffin's site states that the case does not fit the White iPhone 4. Something to do with the sensor. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2011
No idea. Mine functions perfectly, but I got the black iP4.

I have another update:

I was getting water-marking with the Survivor and my ZAAG Invisible Shield, so I removed the Invisible Shield. Now, the home button is depressed whenever it's "face in" in the holster. Bummer.

I'll e-mail Griffin about it to see if it's something they plan on addressing. If not, then I'll clamp the holster down on my mill and punch out the hole for the home button so it no longer contacts.

fc1956

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
If the Survivor were waterproof...

OR, the Lifeproof had better shock protection, either one would be the almost perfect case. And, I'd lean towards the Lifeproof, if all things were equal between the two.

I had a white Lifeproof case, and didn't have any of the reported issues with it. The light sensor worked fine, the touchscreen worked with normal pressure, and the sound was clear. It also does not feel cheap [YMMV], but very solid, IMO. Further, it adds very little to the overall size of the phone. The main reason I returned it, was that it didn't really offer a lot of shock protection. Even from the videos on their website, Lifeproof doesn't advise letting too much happen to your case, in the way of getting dropped, or otherwise knocked about, lest its water resistant qualities be affected. If it could withstand the kind of treatment that the Survivor can take, I would have been glad to keep it.

The Survivor, on the other hand, was able to protect an iPhone dropped 12 stories from a bridge, without any signs of damage whatsoever. Survivor dropped off a 12 story bridge The only thing it lacks, is that it doesn't offer the level of water resistance that the lifeproof does. Also, I have seen it in person, and it is really not that large a case, for what it provides. In fact, it is shorter than the lifeproof, and not much wider. I was able to easily carry it in my front pocket, without issue.

At the immediate moment, I'm using a Griffin Protector case, in yellow. :D :p For the record, my iPhone 3GS was carried in a Speck ArmorSkin silicone case, hands down the best case I ever owned for it. It's unfortunate they don't have any equivalent case now...

My $.02,
Frank

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
I think the water proof is over rated. I rather the survivor case over lifeproof..
I rather have the drop protection over the water proof. I have the survivor for my iPad 2 but got the Otterbox defender for my 4S. Simply because the survivor is just too bulky for a iPhone. I wished griffin made a slimmer profile survivor for the iPhone then I would be sold...

VydorScope

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
I returned my Otterbox Defender and bought the second gen Lifeproof case at best buy for $64.99 after a 20% coupon that I found someplace on these forums.

Some points based on this thread...I know the OP made his decision, but others may want this information later...

1) Sound is not hampered by mine, for normal phone use, BUT Siri is quieter. This is not a bad thing :)

2) I have no air pillow in mine. If you have it in yours there is a video on their website that tells you how to remove the air pocket. Touch screen is slightly less sensitive then naked, but thats the trade off for waterproof. Still works great.

3) Rainproof? Really? I have used many cell phones in the rain without any case and they have been fine. Just about any case should work in normal rain. Now a heavy rain or a storm? Probably not, but no case other then a water proof one will work for that.

4) There is a light sensor issues with the 4S, they have an upgrade coming to fix that and their website says it will be free to current owners on request when it is ready.

5) There does not appear to be all that much protection over the front glass, I could see the screen breaking easily if it fell face first on to an uneven surface, but this is true of any case as far as I know.

For me, the waterproofing set it apart enough to spend $65 on it. Not to go diving with it it, but I have lost phones to puddles, spilled drinks, and other liquid hazards in the past so this puts an end to that at least.

As someone else mentioned, this case is NOT meant to be taken off... ever. Ignore the "50 times" that has been mention, and plan to leave it on. If you need a case that you can take on and off at will, put something else.

Manzanas

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
I just bought the lifeproof case and am loving it so far. The sound issues were solved by upping it "2 clicks". Siri sounds great. My wife said I sound a bit quieter but nothig significant, and no echo or muffleness. I work outdoors and it snows where I live, so the waterproofing is a great selling point for me. Case is very light and sits flat on the iphone screen (no pillow issues). Dexterity is great even though I put the case on over a zagg protective film that was already on the phone.

Manzanas

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
Also love that it has a protective film that covers the camera lens! 20% off till oct at best buy. I saw the griffin survivor video. The case looks solid, but in one instance a little snow got on the phone during testing. All it takes is a little melted snow to ruin your phone so thats a no no for me

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.