Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several MacRumors readers have pointed out that case company Otterbox, which gained some publicity yesterday for the discovery of boxes for a new "iPhone 4S" case, is currently featuring a promotional banner on its website that some have suggested could be a hint at Apple releasing both iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 models next month.

otterbox_iphone_4s_5_banner.jpg

But TUAW answered the question by reaching out to Otterbox for comment, with a company representative noting that the banner is simply intended to suggest that Otterbox will be ready with case offerings no matter what Apple announces.
We gave Kelly Richardson of Otterbox a call today and she clarified the matter. "We're not even quite sure ourselves," she told TUAW, talking about whether there would be one model or two.

She explained that the ad reflected the current conversations going on in the blogosphere. "Like many, we are watching the rumor sites and using information to plan ahead as much as we can." Otterbox promises support for whatever iPhone debuts, but they're emphatically not stating or leaking anything further. "We do not have any confidentiality agreements with Apple," Richardson told TUAW.
Richardson also addressed yesterday's case box leak, reporting that it was simply a packaging design and not any specific iPhone 4S case ready for launch.

Article Link: Page 2: Otterbox Site Banner Not Hinting at Launch of Both iPhone 4S and 5

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
Opps, nothing a sticker won't cover up if needed. BTW, how do these case manufacturers get the dimensions for unreleased electronics?

Muad'Dib

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
In the past Apple has sent it to them. We believe that's still the case but there is some doubt based on past leaks of cases.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Business as usual

I guess their business depends on being on the market early. Everything - literally EVERYTHING they can do before launch, they will do. Makes sense. Having product design ready like cover design for the box. It is just too funny when stuff like this causes big waves. :D

If you see it from their perspective: iPhone XX comes out, you won't get off work until your part in product design or marketing is done. So, in order to get to sleep anytime soon after the launch/presentation, you do as much as you can in advance. :eek:

LoganCircle

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
Washington, DC
"Like many, we are watching the rumor sites and using information to plan ahead as much as we can."

I'm guessing that one comment applies to every case we have seen.

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
Whatever Apple decides to call it, if it is not a major redesign I'm gonna be upset. What were they doing for 16 months?

Same thing they were doing as they were re-designing the 3G into the 3Gs? Yeah, it's been longer than 12 months but it hasn't been 2 years yet. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait till next year for a new design. Whatever it is, it will be an improvement. So to be upset at the fact that it's not completely revamped, well, that's a bit silly if you ask me. Of course, I'm not up for a subsidized upgrade till 2012 anyway, so maybe that's why I'm indifferent.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bad choice of words for this story headline. Otterbox simply doesn't know. And if they did they would not inform the public that 2 models are coming.

jeffro58

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
I'm hoping that they don't know any more than we do. I've been waiting a long time for the iphone 5 and will end up buying a Bionic if it isn't released in October.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Sort of a non-denial denial. She didn't say they are not certain about the iPhone 4S, she said they weren't certain whether there would be one or two models.

And her statement about the pictures "What was circulating yesterday was not a case image for the iPhone 4S but a packaging design", also doesn't make a lot of sense in light of the context of the photos being from units that have arrived in AT&T corporate stores. Is she saying they are in the habit of doing a 3 million unit production run, shipping them into AT&T stores (without a PO in place for those specific units) as a way to test the packaging?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Something I wish the manufactures would do is get in touch with the major case suppliers out there and give them the external specs of the phone so they could have cases ready on launch day.

I know some of the other players have done there for there big phones and it was really nice having several of the popular cases ready to go on launch day.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Whatever Apple decides to call it, if it is not a major redesign I'm gonna be upset. What were they doing for 16 months?

Making OS X look more iOS and filing lawsuits against every mobile electronic company in existence. And, yeah, they also changed CEOs.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
We will all find out together, some day, some time. What this really shows is what a genius Phil Schiller is for building this kind of buzz which no amount of money could buy. This car and mouse game is simply brilliant marketing. :D

Muad'Dib

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
"Like many, we are watching the rumor sites and using information to plan ahead as much as we can."

I'm guessing that one comment applies to every case we have seen.

I'm guessing that if they did know they would deny knowledge anyway. I'm not convinced that they don't know.

Sort of a non-denial denial. She didn't say they are not certain about the iPhone 4S, she said they weren't certain whether there would be one or two models.

And her statement about the pictures "What was circulating yesterday was not a case image for the iPhone 4S but a packaging design", also doesn't make a lot of sense in light of the context of the photos being from units that have arrived in AT&T corporate stores. Is she saying they are in the habit of doing a 3 million unit production run, shipping them into AT&T stores (without a PO in place for those specific units) as a way to test the packaging?

Exactly. I'm not convinced this isn't just a denial in an attempt to cover up.

Ricky Smith

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2006
Boston, MA

Peoples mentality like this are retarded where we expect that a company must release a brand new redesigned product every year. When they make tons of other products.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Maxing out the production capacity of all suppliers and adding new ones, while opening a slew of new stores including one so large and centrally located compared to their largest market and suppliers, they needed 5 stories to do it at minimal initial capacity.

That's all.

What were you doing?

Rocketman

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
So otterbox just has the boxes ready but not the actual phone covers.

This is pretty smart, regardless of what happens otterbox wins, if the iPhone 5, or S is released and it is the same (design wise) all they have to do is move the products from their current box to the new "iPhoneX" box. The product has then been completely retooled.

If a new device is created, they start production on it, and fill the boxes, either way the boxes shall be used.

unless of course we get something like an iPhone Tang or something.

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
If they send sealed and chained boxes of their iPads to their high profile developers (from which they take 30% revenue) that may only be used in one room previously checked by an Apple security officer, why would they send the schematics (!) of their upcoming iPhone to something as insignificant as "case manufacturers".

Truth to be told, Apple surely doesn't get any revenue share from cases sold and probably couldn't care less about them, considering how they consitently uglify any carefully designed Apple product in an instant.

Maxing out the production capacity of all suppliers and adding new ones, while opening a slew of new stores including one so large and centrally located compared to their largest market and suppliers, they needed 5 stories to do it at minimal initial capacity.

That's all.

What were you doing?

Rocketman

OK, so Jonathan Ive and the iPhone Hardware Team maxed out the production capacity and opened new stores? Yeah, right. Because as we all know, there's not many, but just one big team at Apple that does everything.

And if you yourself can't open stores and develop phones at the same time, Apple sure as hell can't either, right?

second.exodous

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
I'm buying my first smart-phone after this release. If it is an iphone5 I'll get an iphone but if it is just a 4GS I'll go with a cheaper Android that has a faster processor and hold off on an iphone until a 5 comes out.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bad choice of words for this story headline. Otterbox simply doesn't know. And if they did they would not inform the public that 2 models are coming.

Yes- thank you! For crying out loud- if these guys confirmed something, Jobs, Cook, Ives, Forstal and that mean-lookin' S.O.B. in charge of, like metals or something (you know that's a made up position- he's the enforcer) would throw OtterBox a blanket party! And blame it on Google!

----------

I'm buying my first smart-phone after this release. If it is an iphone5 I'll get an iphone but if it is just a 4GS I'll go with a cheaper Android that has a faster processor and hold off on an iphone until a 5 comes out.

Dude- don't do it man! Get the iPhone no matter what!

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
In the past Apple has sent it to them. We believe that's still the case but there is some doubt based on past leaks of cases.

Apple does not send it's new, unreleased products dimensions / specifications to case manufacturers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.