Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

100ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Hello guys!

I have been lurking on this forum for quite a long time and it's the first time that I really need some side advice.

Sorry if it's incorrect section, didn't find any better :)

So the problem is,
I bought a new razer deathadder 3500 which has mac label on the package and the assistant said it has mac driver on their website. I was very surprised as I wasn't going to buy it, heck I didn't even know any other mouses other than Mamba can work on mac fully.

I have installed driver, it is an .app which looks exactly the same as the driver on my windows computer, with the one BIG problem, this window where you can adjust and assign buttons, colors etc (driver they call it) does not see my mice connected at all! I can change anything but it won't take effect!

I spend some time in the internet, found firmware issues and updated firmware to the latest possible on my windows computer, tried the latest win driver - everything is working.

Driver on mac - doesn't work at all. With old (standard) and newer firmware either.

TL/DR: Windows works well with Razer Deathadder (2011!) with label Mac on backside of the package and Mac driver does not see mouse connected.

Any ideas how to work it out?

P.S. I have played with /volumes, still nothing.

Please help I'm desperate:confused:

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Is your nouse plugged into a USB hub or directly to the computer?

I'm using the DeathAdder 3500dpi and am not having any problems with the software on Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

100ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Yes, directly. Same mouse.
However my mac is 10.5.8
I didn't update it for quite long as I everything is working fine and I don't need any new stuff (like reversed scrolling lol)
Do you think that is the cause??

Akula971

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Perfidious Albion
Is your nouse plugged into a USB hub or directly to the computer?

I'm curious does it make a difference connected to the keyboard, then the mac?

I've had no end of problems with my Razer mouse and SL & Lion. Every time I boot up, the mouse setting for tracking speed is always set at low. So before I start a game I must reset the tracking speed. You think the hub makes a difference?

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Razer support is not that great. I have a Deathadder and every single time I restart the computer it resets the tracking speed. I wrote to Razer about this issue and that was the answer

Our current drivers are supported up to OS 10.5.4, and this issue with the resetting of the tracking speed was resolved in these drivers for 10.5.4 and below. However, it appears with the release of 10.5.6, this problem has re-occurred. Our driver developers are currently working on this issue. Please keep an eye on the website for more information as it becomes available.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Razer support is not that great. I have a Deathadder and every single time I restart the computer it resets the tracking speed. I wrote to Razer about this issue and that was the answer

Hello

I use a Deathadder and have no problems with it, just plug in and go nothing resets.

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I'm curious does it make a difference connected to the keyboard, then the mac?

I've had no end of problems with my Razer mouse and SL & Lion. Every time I boot up, the mouse setting for tracking speed is always set at low. So before I start a game I must reset the tracking speed. You think the hub makes a difference?

I had problems with my keyboard plugged into a USB Hub, so I thought perhaps that there could be a similar problem with some mice plugged into a USB Hub. However, the OP stated that this is not the case, the mouse is plugged directly into their computer.

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Yes, directly. Same mouse.
However my mac is 10.5.8
I didn't update it for quite long as I everything is working fine and I don't need any new stuff (like reversed scrolling lol)
Do you think that is the cause??

I think you're confusing Lion (10.7) with Snow Leopard (10.6). Snow Leopard does not have reverse scrolling (not that I've experienced anyways!).

Which driver/software version are you using? I see the Razer website has version 3.00 for Mac available, which is the version that I am using.

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010

Support for only 10.5.4? That must have been a while back when they were still developing compatability with Macs. Like the link I gave states, support is for OSX 10.4 through 10.6. Things have improved, but obviously like all things, there are problems for some; otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Support for only 10.5.4? That must have been a while back when they were still developing compatability with Macs. Like the link I gave states, support is for OSX 10.4 through 10.6. Things have improved, but obviously like all things, there are problems for some; otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.

I received the reply on the 19th of July 2011

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I've had my DeathAdder 3500DPI for almost a year, which is about as long as I've had Snow Leopard and is about as long as my DeathAdder 3500DPI has been working without a hitch. Not sure who you spoke with, but you shouldn't have taken it as Gospel when I've posted many months ago, along with other owners, that this mouse does work with OSX and without problems for us.

EDIT: Found the thread I was thinking of. Good stuff; forgot I called out an ad man bashing Razer and he never responded again. I think he was getting paid to post stuff like that. Anyways, also reminds me that things were hit or miss for everyone, but I just don't understand how I've had no problems with it on two different laptops and 3 different operating systems.

EDIT Part 2: My bad! My brain is obviously not working today. Although my mouse has been flawless, I've been running Snow Leopard. You are, apparently, still on Leopard. So, I could see them still having issues with an OS not many people are using gaming mice with (fewer reports of problems).

Last edited:

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
The R.A.T 7 is like the best best out there, bar none, that I have ever used, and reviews back that up, and there are OS X drivers out for it. One of the few gaming mice like the Deathadder that have OS X support.

Just food for thought

100ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Guys, that was a nice debate but any ideas, solutions? The driver is 3.0 and the mouse firmware is latest possible (upgraded on windows pc)
I have Leopard, so as far as I understand I have to upgrade to Snow Leo not Lion to make it work? It does not see mouse so every button on it, is working as left-click.
I would return mouse then, I thought OS X support meant any os x...
ideas, solutions?

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I think you need to contact Razer. My mouse just works, so I do not have any suggestions.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
I have tons of problems with my Razer Orochi during the first setups... Most of it is getting it to connect to Windows in Bootcamp, it will absolutely not do the initial setup unless I disconnect it from OS X first, no matter what you do at all. It also involves changing drivers around on the Windows side. Not to mention you cant assign buttons or lights on Mac side which I still dont understand why. I mean $70 in 2010 when I bought it and it still doesnt support Mac. Even when I emailed them about the problem, it took them so long to reply that I actually forgot I had emailed them. Regardless, once the Orochi is working I love it. Not having to have a dongle in is great.

Edit: Went to website as to not look like an ass and it seems they finally put out a complete Mac driver as of May 3, 2011...

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia

THIS is exactly my problem! (The tracking speed being reset with each restart.)

It's been a problem with 10.6/10.7

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
the drivers for my naga and black widow seem to work fine. even assigning macros and profiles are fine. running lion and there doesn't seem to be issues.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I'm using Copperhead with MBP 10.7 and Abyssus with iMac 10.6 and have no problems with Razer drivers... probably because I don't have them installed :D

I can assign buttons with default mouse preferences so there's no need to =)

Sorry for off-topic.

DamenS

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
I have also just gotten rid of my Deathadder 3500 mouse. Given Razer have had years to supply a working Mac driver and so much negative feedback and yet have been unwilling or unable to do so - and that the issues are of such significance to basis day to day operations (not just gaming) - I would not hold out any hope for improvement on their behalf.

LatinGeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
I thought it was common knowledge that razer stuff is overpriced rubbish.
The only passable thing they sell are the Blackwidow mechanical keyboards, and that's because their price is way lower than a decent mechanical's (Das/WASD)

knuui

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
I think you're confusing Lion (10.7) with Snow Leopard (10.6). Snow Leopard does not have reverse scrolling (not that I've experienced anyways!).

Which driver/software version are you using? I see the Razer website has version 3.00 for Mac available, which is the version that I am using.

I couldn't thank you enough. You're a life saver. Thanks for showing us the old driver, it works like a charm. The Razer Synapse 2.0 v1.09 wouldn't load my profile settings and after uninstall and reinstall, the software couldn't show up in my app folder nor the menu bar. I contacted the technical team but they say it wouldn't support OS 10.8, which is weird, cause it was working before v1.9. I tried reinstall versions before 1.09, but couldn't make it work. The DeathAdder 3.0 old driver is a much better option, with no icon using up the menu bar space and it seems like using less RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.