Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shambles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
UK
I'm getting a 2011 MacBook Air next week, and I'm looking to install Windows 7 on it. I understand that the Air can access other nearby Mac's Superdrives, but I'm not sure if this would work installing Windows 7?

So what I'd like to do is insert the Windows install disc into my brother's MacBook and then access that on my Air over the network to install it.

I assume this wouldn't work as I haven't seen any similar stories on the internet, but it's worth asking about I suppose.

Thanks

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The way to install windows on MacBook air is to use an USB drive. If you google there are guides telling you how to do this.

Shambles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
UK
I'm assuming I'll be able to use an SD card just like a memory stick? What program should I use to make the Windows 7 .iso bootable from the card? Thanks

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
I'm assuming I'll be able to use an SD card just like a memory stick? What program should I use to make the Windows 7 .iso bootable from the card? Thanks

Not Having the 13 inch one, it's hard for me to be absolutely certain, but given how much trouble the EFI has given me and other people, I wouldn't be surprised if it needed to be off of usb flash drive.

The boot camp installer will make a usb drive for you off of a windows iso. I believe it makes some modifications too, because it refused to boot and install properly another bootable windows 7 usb drive I already had made, and not to mention refused to complete an install of an external usb DVD drive with a windows 7 DVD in it. (Just trying to save you hours of frustration that many of us have gone through)

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
negative, the only way to do this is with a superdrive.
the EFI refuses to boot a windows USB pen, even with rEFIt

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
negative, the only way to do this is with a superdrive.
the EFI refuses to boot a windows USB pen, even with rEFIt

This is for the macbook pros only with that get bootcamp 4.0. Macbook AIRS use Bootcamp 4.0.1, which creates a bootable USB for you and REFUSES to boot off external DVD.

PLease check your information before you post. (I own an 2011 air and pro)

Shambles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
UK
So I'll need to be using the MacBook Air's version of Boot Camp to burn the Windows 7 .iso to the SD card? Can't I burn it using a standard MacBook before the Air arrives so it's ready? Sorry for all the questions.

summitRun

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
This is for the macbook pros only with that get bootcamp 4.0. Macbook AIRS use Bootcamp 4.0.1, which creates a bootable USB for you and REFUSES to boot off external DVD.

Wait...so you cant install Win 7 from an external DVD drive on a 2011 MBA? I hope I am misunderstanding something as that was my plan...:confused:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

You can still use an external DVD connected to the USB port (that's how I got Windows 7 on my 2011 MacBook Air). That said, the USB approach also works now.

Wait...so you cant install Win 7 from an external DVD drive on a 2011 MBA? I hope I am misunderstanding something as that was my plan...:confused:

This still works. See above.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So I'll need to be using the MacBook Air's version of Boot Camp to burn the Windows 7 .iso to the SD card? Can't I burn it using a standard MacBook before the Air arrives so it's ready? Sorry for all the questions.

Bootcamp downloads drivers particular to each Mac, so no, using a standard Mac's bootcamp isn't going to work for the Air. But really, what's the hurry? It only takes a few minutes to create the Windows 7 install USB.

Shambles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
UK
Bootcamp downloads drivers particular to each Mac, so no, using a standard Mac's bootcamp isn't going to work for the Air. But really, what's the hurry? It only takes a few minutes to create the Windows 7 install USB.

Okay cheers, I may as well wait then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.