Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
i just noticed that my left side "command" key middle two "mm" letter is darker than the rest of the letters with the backlit on. it's like something is covering the light to go through those two "mm" letter. I also compared it to my right side "command" key and i can really tell the difference because right side command key is normal. I also checked the youtube video of macbook air reviews and also noticed their left side command key.

Check your keyboard and tell me. if you can't see.. try turn the backlit light to all the way up and you'll start seeing difference between the left side command key and right side. Left side letters "mm" in "command" is darker than the right side.

let me know

Thanks

Last edited:

Mayo7

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
i see the same thing going on on mine as well.. but it's so subtle and doesn't bother me at all.

not sure if this is something you would call a 'defect'.

adamsium

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Mine is perfectly fine, as I suspect 99.999% of them are.

People spend so much time looking for 'defects'.

marrzie

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
The left control key is darker on the c.
The left mm in command is also darker.
I am super picky but this doesn't bother me at all.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
I didn't notice it until last night. I was using my MBA in the dark room and I thought its a dirt on my left command button.. I don't think it will bother me in a long run but I kept staring at that command button every time I turn on the computer.

What might be blocking that "mm" letter?

Biscotti

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
my "mm" in command is darker. Doesn't bother me at all. It's a long word, it can't all be lit up.

CardboardGiant

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Wow you're right! I tried it and the "mm" doesn't lit up like the rest of the letters.

I'll have to drop by the apple store and exchange my 2011 MBA 13'' tomorrow. Time to back-up my files!

Thanks for the heads up TC.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
my "mm" in command is darker. Doesn't bother me at all. It's a long word, it can't all be lit up.

i know what you are saying but if you compare it to right side command button it doesn't have that problem.

Wow you're right! I tried it and the "mm" doesn't lit up like the rest of the letters.

I'll have to drop by the apple store and exchange my 2011 MBA 13'' tomorrow. Time to back-up my files!

Thanks for the heads up TC.

don't bother... all the MacBook Airs are like that... but i just wanted to point out to you guys.

Biscotti

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
i know what you are saying but if you compare it to right side command button it doesn't have that problem.

don't bother... all the MacBook Airs are like that... but i just wanted to point out to you guys.

I know, I just wanted to say it wasn't that serious a problem. Not one enough to take the computer back.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
get them to change it for one with a UK keyboard layout, its only got 'cmd' and the symbol written on the key :p

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
I have the same darker "mm". It was the first thing I noticed when I first used the keyboard in the dark. It's a minor irritation.

dennya

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Seattle-ish
Dangit. I was so loving my new MacBook Air. Now I see only its scars and horrific disfigurement.

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Hee-hee... 2009 Airs FTW :D

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 73

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
Dangit. I was so loving my new MacBook Air. Now I see only its scars and horrific disfigurement.

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

lol im so sorry. i was so happy when i first got my MBA too until i used the keyboard at night.. i couldn't sleep that night because of that so i started looking for unboxing videos on youtube and noticed that all the MBA are like that so i feel a little better now.

i can't stop looking at the command button every time i used the keyboard at night.. ahh.. :eek:

sorry guys!

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
lol im so sorry. i was so happy when i first got my MBA too until i used the keyboard at night.. i couldn't sleep that night because of that so i started looking for unboxing videos on youtube and noticed that all the MBA are like that so i feel a little better now.

i can't stop looking at the command button every time i used the keyboard at night.. ahh.. :eek:

sorry guys!

Seriously - this isn't healthy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.