Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Apple themselves disagree that having the phone a "standalone" device is inferior, as they are moving towards that with iOS 5.

Not to mention, my Atrix played just fine with my PC. It also could wirelessly sync with it giving me control of text messaging and other functions right on my PC

Wireless syncing and updates does not constitute Apple moving toward a standalone device. It's actually creating a tighter experience with iCloud and several other improvements. And your Atrix doesn't have nearly the integration with a computer that iPhones have with Macs. iTunes, iPhoto, iCal, Address Book and on and on... Syncing an iPhone to a Mac is effortless in comparison.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
About the only think iOS has that Android does not have is being able to play the DRM stuff from the iTunes store. That would be movies and old music files from the iTMS. Other wise no not really.

There are several apps that can do something like Facetime and of those I believe several are cross platform and work with iOS.
Several Apps work like iMessager. Go Devs have one that work with any other Go Dev SMS client and will switch between SMS and Go Chat (a feature I turned off)

As for Apps well while the iOS has more it really does not matter the good Apps are on both platforms.
As for Keyboards I am going to say Android wins out big time in that department.

Simple answer not much.

One thing I really missed about my iPhone when I was using an Atrix was the keyboard. Not really the keyboard itself, but the layout. I hate how on Android, when you're in messages in landscape mode..the keyboard and text area takes up the entire screen. You have to close the keyboard to look at the conversation...was very annoying and didn't find any 3rd party keyboards that solved my issue...

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Not all of these apply to everyone's situation, but here's a few things that I personally find most useful and that keep me on iPhone vs. considering an Android phone:
  • The App Store - WAY more apps than Android. Yes, you can usually find "an" app for Android that will do what you want, but many, many more developers release on iOS than on Android - and the quality of apps available shows it.
  • Integration with iTunes - if you keep your music and/or videos on iTunes, syncing is painless (and soon wireless, with iOS 5). iPhone was my first Apple product - I now also have two Apple TV's and an iPad, and I love the fact that I can get at my media from any device.
  • Battery life - no Android phone comes close
  • iCloud synchronization - this is going to be a MAJOR game-changer in iOS 5 (due for release next month
iMessage and FaceTime are great, but not critical to me. YMMV. I love the fact that most of my iPhone apps also run on my iPad (without buying them again), but I suppose that could be true of Android apps if you also had an Android tablet so you could consider that a wash.

I guess you never heard of the cloud, it's syncing without wires.

dqfayi

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
Amazing functions of iPhone are! The apps are pretty comparable between the two platforms but most things are easier and more intuitive on iPhone. :cool:

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Wireless syncing and updates does not constitute Apple moving toward a standalone device. It's actually creating a tighter experience with iCloud and several other improvements. And your Atrix doesn't have nearly the integration with a computer that iPhones have with Macs. iTunes, iPhoto, iCal, Address Book and on and on... Syncing an iPhone to a Mac is effortless in comparison.

Well, "your Atrix" isn't applicable...I'm back to an iPhone. Had issues with the Arix and returned it...this was long ago, around it's launch time. Figured I'd hold out til June and get a 5...we all know where that's at now...

Anyway, not every user...probably the majority of users...don't care about PC/MAC syncing. My mother has an iP4...she'd be very happy never having to hook it up to a computer for anything. I have my contacts synced with my gmail account, which I have set up as an exchange account on my iPhone...I don't need to sync anything for my contacts...add or remove a contact on the device, my gmail contacts is updated. Add or remove a contact while in gmail on my pc, my device is basically instantly updated. Google calendar works well too.

Easy photo options as well. I don't own a Mac, so I can say one thing is more "effortless" than the other...and that's not really the point of the question posed in the OP. Someone says that "Android can't do that", when it can, I'm going to point it out...that's all.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
iPhone just does everything better. And I'm not a fanboy. It's just a fact. The whole UI on any android phone is FAR less superior to iPhone. It just a fact.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
iPhone just does everything better. And I'm not a fanboy. It's just a fact. The whole UI on any android phone is FAR less superior to iPhone. It just a fact.

You might want to look up the definition of "fact", and then maybe compare it to "opinion".

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Well, "your Atrix" isn't applicable...I'm back to an iPhone. Had issues with the Arix and returned it...this was long ago, around it's launch time. Figured I'd hold out til June and get a 5...we all know where that's at now...

Anyway, not every user...probably the majority of users...don't care about PC/MAC syncing. My mother has an iP4...she'd be very happy never having to hook it up to a computer for anything. I have my contacts synced with my gmail account, which I have set up as an exchange account on my iPhone...I don't need to sync anything for my contacts...add or remove a contact on the device, my gmail contacts is updated. Add or remove a contact while in gmail on my pc, my device is basically instantly updated. Google calendar works well too.

Easy photo options as well. I don't own a Mac, so I can say one thing is more "effortless" than the other...and that's not really the point of the question posed in the OP. Someone says that "Android can't do that", when it can, I'm going to point it out...that's all.

Sure, not everyone wants phone/computer integration, but that's my point as it relates to the OP. If you ever do get a Mac I would imagine you'd agree, too. An Android can't/won't/doesn't sync to a computer in the automagic way an iPhone does with a Mac.

There are some solid Android devices out there and the platform currently has some advantages over the iPhone. Just making the point that computer integration isn't one of them.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

aztooh said:
FaceTime.

Well that's a given for now. There are so many alternatives and I do hope FaceTime is offered by Apple for other systems.

Anyway, I honestly can't thing of something that is serious that an iPhone can do that an Android phone can't.

A weird bunch around here...this is voted up for what reason?

The post itself mentions there are "so many alternatives" to FaceTime. And FaceTime is inferior to those other options. FT can only be used while connected to wifi and can only be used iPhone 4 to iPhone 4.

To the OP...the question is really invalid. You'd have to be more specific. Android isn't a single phone. Both platforms have their pros and cons.

Vikingjunior nails it. Android OS allows the users to do so much more.

Please get your facts right before posting. FaceTime isn't just between iPhone 4's but macs,
iPod touch 4G, iPad 2.

Android fanboys tsk tsk tsk.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Please get your facts right before posting. FaceTime isn't just between iPhone 4's but macs,
iPod touch 4G, iPad 2.

Android fanboys tsk tsk tsk.

Android fanboy? Considering my current device is an iPhone, not sure how that makes much sense...but whatever.

Okay...iPhone 4 can FaceTime with iPods and Macs...I know this...and that's great. My point is, an app like Tango or Qik (skype) does the same thing...and works cross platforms AND over 3g connections. FaceTime is GREAT when both parties are connected to wifi...but lacks the other features.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Tilpots said:
Apple themselves disagree that having the phone a "standalone" device is inferior, as they are moving towards that with iOS 5.

Not to mention, my Atrix played just fine with my PC. It also could wirelessly sync with it giving me control of text messaging and other functions right on my PC

Regarding "iPhoto, iCal, Address Book", Google provide seamless syncing of that content.

Picasa Web Albums integrates into the stock Android gallery application and Picutres/videos can be easily uploaded to Picasa. The Picasa application on Mac & PC works well too.

iCal & address book are OK but Google Calendar and address book play nice with multiple devices on multiple platforms at the same time. I've successfully used Google's contacts and calendar on an iPod Touch/Android handsets/Windows Phone 7 handset and my Mac all at the same time with information updated on each device wirelessly.

iTunes is the biggest thing Apple have over Android oems. Some of the third party stuff is nice (DoubleTwist/iSyncr/MediaMonkey) but the only bit of software that can compete with iTunes on any other platform is Zune and Windows Phone 7.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Two good things about iPhones.

1. If you have a problem with your iPhone, you can take it to an apple store and they almost always will replace your phone on the spot.

2. Great resale value.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
Just from the top of my head, a few come into mind:

A. Security.
With iPhone, if yo do not jailbreak, you can have high confidence that applications that you download would not steal your data. You can't have the same assurance with Android, where Malware and dodgy applications in the official market place is a hugh problem.

B. Customization.
I know many will protest strongly when reading this, but it's fact from the viewpoint of normal users. ( not talking about hackers here, whom I'm sure would love the ease of doing anything they want to they phone). Android's firmware are divided into many region, making it difficult to combine any languages you want in the same phone. If I'm in Australia, I can't use my phone in Chinese like I could with iPhone without changing ROM. (not just talking about keyboard, but have the UI in Chinese).
If I want feature A (e.g., some special feature of HTC), I can't at the same time have the feature I like in Samsung since I can have only one ROM at a time.
In contrast, a jailbroken iPhone's approach of customisation is always installing a program to the single version of stock firmware, hence customisations are not mutually exclusive to the other customisations.

There are customisations which can only be achieve in iPhone but impossible on Android. One such customisation is to skip/repeat/start/stop music and media using hardware buttons (I use long press volume button to skip/repeat, and long press home key to start/pause media). I can perform this without leaving another application, or on home screen, or on lock screen, or when the phone is asleep.

C Integration with iPad and PC
If I create a Safari reading list, it shows up in the iPad and iPhone. If I save a bookmark, all three of them are synced via iCloud. If I take a picture with my iPhone, it shows up in the iPad and the PC wirelessly. If I create a contact, it get added to the contact on the iPad and Mac via iCloud. If I read an eBook on the iPhone and put the bookmark on the page, I can see that on my iPad. I know this is also done a certain extent with Android, but the integration with iPad and PC is far tighter with iPhone.

D. Consistent user interface.
You can have a consistent way of doing copy and paste, but you can't have that on Android.

E. Ease and assurance of firmware upgrade, quality of firmware
You can concentrate on using the phone, not on flashing ROM just to keep updated and to patch issues.

F: Availability and quality of application
Depends on what your requirements are, the seriousness differ. In my case, I still have about 5 applications that I absolutely must have but are still unavailable on the Android platform. The same applications also tend to be of higher quality on iPHone than on Android. I have a golfing application called GolfCard Pro, for example on both my iPhone and my Samsung Galaxy S. The one on SGS is laggy, does not support sharing of golf score with my buddies using HTML mail (since HTML mail is unsupported in Android, according to the software vendor).

G. Multitasking the way I want it.
With Android, I often find applications re-starting on their own, after I have killed them. It is more difficult to manage compared to iPhone's.

H. The little things
I just much prefer all the subtle little things in iPhone's UI, such as the feedback sound, the shape of the icon, the manner speed/style of scrolling. I dislike Android's back button which is suppose to bring you back to the previous function (although many applications also duplicate that process but a button on the screen, like the iPhone's way), while other times, it kicks the user out of the application all together causing frustration. You can't customise the phone to disable the accidental kicking out of the application, unfortunately.

myPod

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2011
Android phones are for those who like to tinker with their phones OS and exert some control over the phones functions using utilities. So if you like to tinker ....GO ANDROID.
Android OS tends to be all over the map as far as version and support.
It's usually hard to contact the OS manufacturer (Google for the OS and brand xxx for the phone manufacturer) about any issues (try to get a hold of Google - its IMPOSSIBLE).
You have to rely on your carrier, and usually depending on how popular you model is, you may or may not get any help.
Android phones are manufactured by DOZENS of manufacturer. Therefore models come and go like mushrooms.
Your android phone will usually be out classed within a month or two. Because of that, they are more common or "a dime a dozen" and therefore they don't usually hold their value very well.
Quality varies all over the map from manufacturer to manufacturer.
3rd party accessories makers don't want to invest too much in products because models change too often and they don't want to be stuck with inventory.

The Apple iPhone on the other hand is a piece of art to say the least.
Quality and build quality is superb. Support is GREAT.
iPhones tend to holds their value.
They generally work as designed.
Battery usually will last all day.
You'll find QUALITY accessories made for iPhone from major manufacturers like JBL, BOSE, SONY, PANASONIC, MARANTZ, ONKYO, SONOS, PORSCHE, MERCEDES BENZ, FORD, PIONEER HARMAN KARDON, M-AUDIO just a few. All these companies I mentioned have docks/cradles/interfaces/speakers ETC. for the iPhone/iPod. I serious'y doubt if any of them want to invest in any Android device (SORRY ANDROID)

So I say, STICK WITH iPHONE. You'll be glad you did. :)

At the end of the day, you can truly say you enjoyed using your phone.

Last edited:

macinnv

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Great posts from this thread. While I agree w most, I would say the gap is narrowing. I've been on android since the beginning and always wanted to switch to iPhone. Now there isn't a huge incentive to switch. For me it would just come down to iTunes library syncing, not necessarily the iTunes store. I would imagine soon enough Google Music will be out of beta and will provide the same features.

Tablets are a completely different ball game. iPad wins without a fight.

myPod

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2011
Great posts from this thread. While I agree w most, I would say the gap is narrowing. I've been on android since the beginning and always wanted to switch to iPhone. Now there isn't a huge incentive to switch. For me it would just come down to iTunes library syncing, not necessarily the iTunes store. I would imagine soon enough Google Music will be out of beta and will provide the same features.

Tablets are a completely different ball game. iPad wins without a fight.

On the contrary, I think NOW is the best time to switch.

Unless you have many of the products from manufacturers I listed in my earlier post (which I doubt if you're on Android) your only investment is probably on software, and that couldn't be that much.

You don't have to wait for Google Music. iTunes is more robust. Enjoy it!!

Enjoy life. Enjoy the new iPhone 5. I'll bet you be glad you did. ;)

dension

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2011
Android phones are much better, they can do what even a iPhone can't do. One of the issues I have always had with the iPhone is its information system. Basically, it depends on a single system that all applications have access too but this is not the case with Android.

Last edited:

throne

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2009
Just from the top of my head, a few come into mind:

A. Security.
With iPhone, if yo do not jailbreak, you can have high confidence that applications that you download would not steal your data. You can't have the same assurance with Android, where Malware and dodgy applications in the official market place is a hugh problem.

B. Customization.
I know many will protest strongly when reading this, but it's fact from the viewpoint of normal users. ( not talking about hackers here, whom I'm sure would love the ease of doing anything they want to they phone). Android's firmware are divided into many region, making it difficult to combine any languages you want in the same phone. If I'm in Australia, I can't use my phone in Chinese like I could with iPhone without changing ROM. (not just talking about keyboard, but have the UI in Chinese).
If I want feature A (e.g., some special feature of HTC), I can't at the same time have the feature I like in Samsung since I can have only one ROM at a time.
In contrast, a jailbroken iPhone's approach of customisation is always installing a program to the single version of stock firmware, hence customisations are not mutually exclusive to the other customisations.

There are customisations which can only be achieve in iPhone but impossible on Android. One such customisation is to skip/repeat/start/stop music and media using hardware buttons (I use long press volume button to skip/repeat, and long press home key to start/pause media). I can perform this without leaving another application, or on home screen, or on lock screen, or when the phone is asleep.

C Integration with iPad and PC
If I create a Safari reading list, it shows up in the iPad and iPhone. If I save a bookmark, all three of them are synced via iCloud. If I take a picture with my iPhone, it shows up in the iPad and the PC wirelessly. If I create a contact, it get added to the contact on the iPad and Mac via iCloud. If I read an eBook on the iPhone and put the bookmark on the page, I can see that on my iPad. I know this is also done a certain extent with Android, but the integration with iPad and PC is far tighter with iPhone.

D. Consistent user interface.
You can have a consistent way of doing copy and paste, but you can't have that on Android.

E. Ease and assurance of firmware upgrade, quality of firmware
You can concentrate on using the phone, not on flashing ROM just to keep updated and to patch issues.

F: Availability and quality of application
Depends on what your requirements are, the seriousness differ. In my case, I still have about 5 applications that I absolutely must have but are still unavailable on the Android platform. The same applications also tend to be of higher quality on iPHone than on Android. I have a golfing application called GolfCard Pro, for example on both my iPhone and my Samsung Galaxy S. The one on SGS is laggy, does not support sharing of golf score with my buddies using HTML mail (since HTML mail is unsupported in Android, according to the software vendor).

G. Multitasking the way I want it.
With Android, I often find applications re-starting on their own, after I have killed them. It is more difficult to manage compared to iPhone's.

H. The little things
I just much prefer all the subtle little things in iPhone's UI, such as the feedback sound, the shape of the icon, the manner speed/style of scrolling. I dislike Android's back button which is suppose to bring you back to the previous function (although many applications also duplicate that process but a button on the screen, like the iPhone's way), while other times, it kicks the user out of the application all together causing frustration. You can't customise the phone to disable the accidental kicking out of the application, unfortunately.

A. Seriously, how is this rumor still being spread around? I've owned several Android phones and have literally never run into malware. It's not a "hugh problem" as you put it.

B. If you're rooted on a custom ROM, you can generally take features from other ROMs (camera, widgets, etc). As for customizing music playback, I'm sure that can be done in Android, there's tons of customizable music apps but I've never wanted that feature so I never perused the settings or looked for an app that can do that.

C. Android does the exact same thing except with Google's version. Google Contacts, Google Calendar, Gmail, Picasa etc. Both OS's are nearly the same in this area. iPhone can only sync with Safari. Android doesn't sync with Chrome but Chrome to Phone is really all I have ever needed.

D. Not sure where you heard that. On my Nexus S, copying and pasting has been the same everywhere.

E. Nexus S. Also I'm pretty sure Google requires manufacturers to support devices for 18 months after release now.

F. This is all a matter of opinion. Also https://market.android.com/details?id=com.senygma.golfcard&feature=search_result

G. Don't manage it. Don't even pay attention to the running app list and you have nothing to worry about. Android does a much better job of managing memory than the user.

H. UI is a matter of opinion. Personally, I feel that stock Gingerbread on the Nexus S holds its own against iOS. Unfortunately, some developers make some very crappy icons for their apps. The back button feature is not accidental. It should only "exit" the app if you're on the first page of an app. If it doesn't, then it's the developers fault and not Android's. There's some seriously crappy apps on iOS and the same goes for Android.

For the record, I use an iPhone 4, Nexus S, and Motorola Atrix. I love my iPhone but I also love my Android devices too. Also, I'm not claiming that Android is better than iOS, I'm just clearing up some unfair criticism of it.

myPod

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2011
when I think Android, I think PC's. not a good thing.

Android - is also synonymous to chaos, systemic control.
Idiom - Rough around the edges.

Google is good and bad.
Good for searches in information.
Bad for data collection, steamrolling, monopolizing and seeding Android OS.
Their slogan: Don't be evil (is starting to be questionable)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.