Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
I've been trying to find a USB KVM switch in the UK, and i'm not having much luck. The only ones i can find are ones where the output of the keys/mouse is usb, but the Input of the unit is PS/2.

I really want one with USB inputs, so i can use an Apple keyboard. Does anyone have any idea of where to look? I've checked ebay, dabs, ebuyer, pc world. They only seem to sell the PS/2 > USB ones..

ta!

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
We are in a time of transition. Soon, there will be dozens of USB/DVI KVMs which work perfectly. At this time, though, KVMs are mostly VGA/PS2.

You can get adapters which convert PS2 to USB and the other way quite cheaply. I've used an old Master Console for years this way. I must note, however, that I wasn't able to get the Apple keyboard to talk to the Master Console with a USB-to-PS2 adapter. Newer models may work better.

The best bet might be to use one of the little $90 jobs temporarily, and plan to get a new KVM in a year or two when better models are available. If you can't get the Apple KB to work thru an adapter, make sure you get a PS2 keyboard that has the Windows key, as that will become your cloverleaf key. F12 is eject.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
A way to get 'around' the issue of the USB apple keyboards not working - buy a crappy, $10 PS/2 keyboard and plug that in. Put it behind your mac or somewhere unnoticable... then plug the USB keyboard into a USB slot and it should work...

That is if you get a PS/2 KVM which also has 2 USB ports...

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Thanks for your replys.. at nearly £100 for that Dr Bott one, i think i'll give it a miss.

I'll just buy a cheap one just for monitor switching.. i got a ps/2 keyboard and a cheap usb keyboard that i can leave plugged into PC/mini mac. And i'll just swap my m$ optical mouse over :)

its just becoming a pain in the arse swapping the monitor over everytime i wanna play a game or jam in Reason!

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Well, If you own 2 keyboards and 2 mice then why don't you check to see if your monitor already supports 2 computers and that will save you money?

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Yeah i have :) it doesnt. Its a cheap 15" analogue TFT from about 3 years ago.

I think i've got enough desk space for another 15".. might look into that. One with DVI, as that would be cool when i'm writing music :D

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
stevep said:
What about this one from Amazon.co.uk ? - no audio but only about £30.

Thats absolutely perfect Steve!! I'll order it as soon as I get in from work :)

Thanks for all your help guys.

:EDIT: i took the plunge and bought it, i'll let you know how i get on. I never think of checking amazon for computer goods! I still think of Amazon as a Book/Music/DVD store!

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Hope it works for you - I would like to know how you get on with it. Good luck

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Got my Belkin KVM switch today.. my initial impressions are that its really nice. Once you press the button to switch, it takes about a second for the keyboard and mouse to become usable, but that beats unplugging them from the back of the PC then plugging them into the Mini!!

I'll update the post after a few weeks if anything strange starts happening, but right now i'm happy. £25 and it does what i want, and i didnt have to install any drivers on my PC.. awesome..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.