Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joegleur

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Don't ever compare phones by Apps. That is not even a factor anymore. Almost anything I've ever wanted is in the market.

if you only use apps like angry birds and what not then sure, it's not a factor. but if you want near professional quality apps (ie audio, video, image, documents), it is an un-reputable fact that iOS is by far the leading mobile platform in app quality..

ps: seen infinity blade?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The iPhone has airplay, iTunes, iMessage, Facetime.

LOL, the question was, ...name things that iPhone CAN do that Android does not. None of those are something Android cant do except they dont use crappy iTunes and thank goodness for that. And iMessage is new while Android has been doing it for years...just not called iMessage.

And on Android Facetime can also be used with data and not just wifi. Of course not all models of Android can do facetime but all the newest ones within the last year can.

Last edited:

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
if you only use apps like angry birds and what not then sure, it's not a factor. but if you want near professional quality apps (ie audio, video, image, documents), it is an un-reputable fact that iOS is by far the leading mobile platform in app quality..

ps: seen infinity blade?

What are you meaning here? Can you give some examples?

joegleur

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
What are you meaning here? Can you give some examples?

we'll talk only phone apps so it excludes iPad (tablet apps comparison will hardly be humane);

low latency audio processing/recording apps, MIDI in/out integration : beatmaker 2, fourtrack, nanostudio, nlog synth, xewton music studio, propellerhead rebirth etc (this is a personal interest of mine so i could go on and on and on :p)

video editing and processing: iMovie, reeldirector, reelmoments, video edit, video pix etc

image editing and processing: camera+, photobag, filterstorm, camerabag, photoforge, photogene, etc

documentation (android has some pretty good ones but none as robust as these): pages, numbers, quickoffice, etc

:)

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
Resale value, I swear I sell phones on craigslist all the time and when I put an iPhone on the market I get a million and a half people calling for it. When I sell out of IPhones I offer them an Android phone with way better hardware and tell them it can do everything an iPhone can but I'm better of talking to a wall. They are like zombies "is it an iPhone is it an iPhone".

Once again, resale value. Whatever apples marketing team did they sure as hell need to keep it up.

I'm a man about options and love to play with my phone and modify it with custom roms so I'm going to stick with Android.

The iPhone 4 looks sexy as hell though with that glass back and silver ring.

The app market too, developers are likely to release apps for the iPhone before Android.

So the big three, looks, resale value & app market.

Still can't give up the Swype keyboard, 4.5" screen for anything though don't care how stable ios is.

Sent from my Samsung Infuse 4g using Tapatalk.

tim4hire

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
What can an Iphone do that an Andriod can't?
The Iphone can get Thousands more people and Hundreds of tech blogs discussing it, And it's future.
Not sure if this is too far off topic also, Doesn't Iphone generate more money in general?

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
What can an Iphone do that an Andriod can't?
The Iphone can get Thousands more people and Hundreds of tech blogs discussing it, And it's future.
Not sure if this is too far off topic also, Doesn't Iphone generate more money in general?

Not really a consumer feature...

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
One thing I really missed about my iPhone when I was using an Atrix was the keyboard. Not really the keyboard itself, but the layout. I hate how on Android, when you're in messages in landscape mode..the keyboard and text area takes up the entire screen. You have to close the keyboard to look at the conversation...was very annoying and didn't find any 3rd party keyboards that solved my issue...

That is not an issue with the keyboard at all. That is more of an issue with the fact that the iPhone's screen is a 16:10 compared to the Axtrix 16:9 design. While that does not seem like much it really is where the difference is.

For me not a really issue because when txting I tend to be in portrait mode. I also use Swift key which has a very nice short cut for closing the keyboard so a non issue.

LOL, the question was, ...name things that iPhone CAN do that Android does not. None of those are something Android cant do except they dont use crappy iTunes and thank goodness for that. And iMessage is new while Android has been doing it for years...just not called iMessage.

And on Android Facetime can also be used with data and not just wifi. Of course not all models of Android can do facetime but all the newest ones within the last year can.

Well Android can kind of use iTunes. It uses it in the sense that you can use software like Double twist to handle the syncing. I have grown to really like Double twist and I have it handle all the syncing with my phone. It links back to iTunes library set up.

katana92

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Edinburgh
if you dont have an iPhone....

well ...you dont have an iPhone

also iPhones hold their value. you keep it for few years and sell it on you will still get good chunk back of your money.

android phones....after 1 year no body wants to buy , old HTC or Samsung.

i bought my 3GS 1.5 years ago second hand for £265 and juts sold it last week for £200. how cool is that nearly after 1.5 years i got £200 back for my phone

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
if you dont have an iPhone....

well ...you dont have an iPhone

also iPhones hold their value. you keep it for few years and sell it on you will still get good chunk back of your money.

android phones....after 1 year no body wants to buy , old HTC or Samsung.

i bought my 3GS 1.5 years ago second hand for £265 and juts sold it last week for £200. how cool is that nearly after 1.5 years i got £200 back for my phone

That depends on what country you are in. Here in NZ Android phones actually seem to hold their value pretty well, about as well as iPhones.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
That is not an issue with the keyboard at all. That is more of an issue with the fact that the iPhone's screen is a 16:10 compared to the Axtrix 16:9 design. While that does not seem like much it really is where the difference is.

For me not a really issue because when txting I tend to be in portrait mode. I also use Swift key which has a very nice short cut for closing the keyboard so a non issue.

Well, it's been like that on every Android I've used... Most recently, the Epic 4g Touch (GS2). Not sure if it's 16:9, probably is, but at 4.5", there's plenty of real estate to show the conversation...but again, the keyboard/text input takes up the whole screen. Has to be just how it's written on Android, no?

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
That depends on what country you are in. Here in NZ Android phones actually seem to hold their value pretty well, about as well as iPhones.

Just a quick search on Trade Me comparing Samsung Galaxy S1 and iPhone 3GS. No one seems to show interest in the SGS.

----------

Well, it's been like that on every Android I've used... Most recently, the Epic 4g Touch (GS2). Not sure if it's 16:9, probably is, but at 4.5", there's plenty of real estate to show the conversation...but again, the keyboard/text input takes up the whole screen. Has to be just how it's written on Android, no?

I know exactly what you are talking about the keyboard thing.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Just a quick search on Trade Me comparing Samsung Galaxy S1 and iPhone 3GS. No one seems to show interest in the SGS.

I didn't say they were as demanded, just that they keep their value :D. Also, the Galaxy S was cheaper than the iPhone to begin with wasn't it?

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Instant notifications. On my 3G, I used to get instant notifications about facebook posts and stuff. On my Galaxy S, I usually get them after a while, depending on how long I've set it to fetch my data. Also the Facebook app on iPhone is/was better. I also found mail and the browser to be working better on the iPhone. That said, if you are just be a bit more patient, most of the things on android work as well as on the iPhone. Less fluid, but they do the job and mostly it gives you more options. I'm thinking of going back to an iPhone but i'm afraid i'm going to miss some features i've gotten used to. Also, 700 EUR for a user experience that is a bit better, is maybe a bit much :) But its getting more interesting with iOS5

----------

I didn't say they were as demanded, just that they keep their value :D. Also, the Galaxy S was cheaper than the iPhone to begin with wasn't it?

I tried to sell mine after a month. Nobody gave a **** :(

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
When no one wants it, that essentially means it's not valuable doesn't it? :D The SGS was the high end smart phone that competed with the 3GS, IIRC, the SGS cost $1000+ too.

Also the S2, which is 4 months old from when it was released is now selling for 700-750. (I sold mine for 700, although I could've probably got 50 more but I wanted a quick sale). The iPhone 4 which is 16 months old still sells for 800+ for 32GB I think. My mate sold his for 850 last week.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
When no one wants it, that essentially means it's not valuable doesn't it? :D The SGS was the high end smart phone that competed with the 3GS, IIRC, the SGS cost $1000+ too.

Also the S2, which is 4 months old from when it was released is now selling for 700-750. (I sold mine for 700, although I could've probably got 50 more but I wanted a quick sale). The iPhone 4 which is 16 months old still sells for 800+ for 32GB I think. My mate sold his for 850 last week.

Well I guess I was wrong then :eek:

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
All good man :cool: haven't seen someone else from nz here yet :)

I see on your signature you have a 3GS, what's your plan? iPhone 5 or Android?

Not Android. Either iPhone 5 or HTC Titan (assuming I have money to spare for a new phone, I'm a uni student, so probably neither). How about you?

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Not Android. Either iPhone 5 or HTC Titan (assuming I have money to spare for a new phone, I'm a uni student, so probably neither). How about you?

True. I'm definitely going for the next iPhone, whether it's a spec bump or a redesign, as it'll be my first iPhone. Good talking to you man, I'm off to sleep. :)

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
FaceTime.

Well that's a given for now. There are so many alternatives and I do hope FaceTime is offered by Apple for other systems.

Anyway, I honestly can't thing of something that is serious that an iPhone can do that an Android phone can't.

Hopefully they will integrate facetime in their new TV set <cough>

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
You might want to look up the definition of "fact", and then maybe compare it to "opinion".

Although I havent done any scientific research, I can say that yes, it's a fact that the iPhone has a much better touch panel then just about every android phone on the market. I've tried the latest and greatest android devices and their big beautiful screens still lag, stutter, and aren't as responsive to touch. So yes, I'd say it's a fact that iPhones panel is better...much better.

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I think this has more to do with software. But yeah, iPhone (even the 3G) scrolls much more natural and more fluid then any Android I've seen. But not by much.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
For me, it is the media management that keeps me in the Apple ecosystem.

These types of features

Smart Playlists - Google/Android has nothing at present that will do these and I make HEAVY use of these.
Airplay - Love being able to start watching/listening to something on th go, get home, and then finish watching/playing on my ATV
Apple Remote - Again, being able to them control the content on the ATV/iTiunes from my iPad/iPhone is very useful.
iCloud - coming soon, but the ability to keep apps and data synced automatically between an iPHone and iPad is huge. It makes them not two separate devices but an extenstion of each other.

Also, backups - there is no easy way in Android to backup your phone, get your new phone, restore and be right back where you were on the old phone.

With the combination of all these you really are getting close to the holy grail of access to any media content, anywhere, anytime. Not 100% but getting close.

There is really nothing like the above in stock android. There are some 3rd party apps that attempt to do some of them, but in the end just about all still tie back into iTunes. Even the new google music service has no support for smart playlists at present.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.