Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Yes i know its my own opinion and its my money etc but if you guys were in my shoes would you? I value your opinion.

I had a 13" MBP 2011 Model runing lion with 8GB RAM. - Wasnt a big Laptop but was reasonably cumbersome as i find myself wandering around the house with it open lid etc.

Decided i wanted to sell it and buy an Air.

Managed to get £830 for it which seems fair ..

£830 is just about my budget so i stretched it by £30 and bought a brand new 11" Air with 4GB RAM 128GB SSD from the Apple store and as its eduation it comes with 3 years applecare hardware support.

So essentially this swap has cost me £30 and ive lost 2" of screen and a facetime HD camera.

Anybody else done this and not regretted it?

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't done QUITE the same thing, as my specs were different. I had a 13" MBP that I replaced with an 11" MBA, and I don't regret it one bit. The MBP just felt like a heavy beast, carrying it around, and I hated that. I debated for a while between the 13" MBA and the 11", and I succumbed to the 11's sexiness.

I feel that the only reason you may regret your swap is if the MBA isn't powerful enough for you, or if the screen is too small. If those things don't bother you much, then you'll be fine. :)

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
I dont think power is going to be an issue.

I had a 2010 iMac that i upgraded to 16GB RAM and a bigger HD just because it was cheapo yet all i do is surf the net play on itunes and occaisionally edit some photos. I just wanted the big balls of saying yeah well i have 16GB .. pointless pub talk.

I changed to the MBP for this very reason. I didnt need a powerhouse just something portable. And now i find myself on a 13" screen size is spot on .. no problems .. people say its to small but really?! Its 13"!!

I think the SSD in the air will make me excited as the only speed i want is application launching and turning on and off.

My only concern is the screen size - will 11 be ridiculous? And the lack of an ethernet port ..

If i can get past the screen im sure its a far better machine for me concidering one minute im on the sofa, the next im cooking, then im on the bog, then im in bed. The MBP is too heavy to carry around.

Hope i didnt make a mistake!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Seems like you might have been better off getting the ipad2 instead, as its design lends itself better to being held while walking around from place to place.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
The crazy thing about the 13" MBP is that the screen res is actually worse than the MBA 11" so you get more real estate on the smaller screen! This is one of the reasons I upgraded from 13"MBP to 13" MBA. The only issue with the 11" is the keyboard/mouse and remember it has a reduced battery life in comparison to the 13" MBP/MBA

You can only take it back within 14days of purchase so make your mind up before then but it's quite a big financial difference between the 11" & 13"

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
I went from 2011 13" MBP to 2011 11" MBA and haven't regretted it for a second, the only downside has been getting used to 4-5 hrs of battery compared to 6-7 hrs.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I have had both the MBA 11" and MBA 13" as well as an older MBP (albeit 15"). By the sounds of it, you will be best suited to the 11" as it really allows you to have a computer with the portability of the iPad. It really is that light. You can carry it around, you can reach out and show it to people and yet you get a decent processor with the Sandy bridge i5 processor so when you do need that for editing photos (however rudimentary) and/or other things like the odd essay if you are in education or presentation you have it available. Go for it

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Seems like you might have been better off getting the ipad2 instead, as its design lends itself better to being held while walking around from place to place.

But i needed somewhere to store our music, photos, do the odd bit of word processing and things so the ipad is great but needed a much "fuller" OS if you like

The only issue with the 11" is the keyboard/mouse

Really? Whats the problem? :(

I went from 2011 13" MBP to 2011 11" MBA and haven't regretted it for a second, the only downside has been getting used to 4-5 hrs of battery compared to 6-7 hrs.

This makes me feel better lol

I have had both the MBA 11" and MBA 13" as well as an older MBP (albeit 15"). By the sounds of it, you will be best suited to the 11" as it really allows you to have a computer with the portability of the iPad. It really is that light. You can carry it around, you can reach out and show it to people and yet you get a decent processor with the Sandy bridge i5 processor so when you do need that for editing photos (however rudimentary) and/or other things like the odd essay if you are in education or presentation you have it available. Go for it

Thanks mate - this is what im hoping! - I wanted the 13' but couldnt afford it!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I just wonder what you mean by "wandering around the house". If this just means you like to do your work at different places (say one moment the hall, then in the bedroom the next etc), then any laptop should suffice.

If you mean walking around for extended periods of time while balancing the MBA on one palm and manipulating the keys with the other...that just seems kinda awkward, regardless of what kind of laptop you use. :confused:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
You already regret it or you would not have posted.

Although blunt, ZipZap makes a good point. The mere fact that you're asking a group of complete strangers whether or not you made the correct decision says you're unsure of yourself.

Take a step back, evaluate your decision on objective criteria (pro's vs con's) and you should be able to arrive at a decision you're happy with. Understand that there may not be a perfect solution, so you will likely need to make compromises.

This isn't like you're choosing with whom to marry and have a child. If you don't like it in six months you can get rid of it with no harm done; and price difference is merely the cost of ownership over those months.

As for me, I went from a 2010 MBP13 to a 2011 MBA13. The 11" Air would have been too small, the 13" screen at 1440x900 is great.

Last edited:

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
The crazy thing about the 13" MBP is that the screen res is actually worse than the MBA 11" so you get more real estate on the smaller screen!

You get more estate horizontally, but less vertically. Ask yourself this: which way do you scroll 99.99% of the time?

To the OP: considering what you said about your use I think you'll be delighted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.