Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
A. Seriously, how is this rumor still being spread around? I've owned several Android phones and have literally never run into malware. It's not a "hugh problem" as you put it.

How do you know for sure it's not like there's an Android anti-virus which scans files you download.

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
It is really interesting than none of the reasons why iPhone is preferable to an Android phone really matter to me...

I use iGoogle for all my mail/calendar etc. needs, don't use many apps, and need large screen mobile phone...

But... it is interesting to see what the difference is based on what the people say.

I think that I am 99% sure that I will be getting a Samsung... but given that Apple makes one phone per annum, and this one has been waited for so long, I think that I will wait to see what will come out...

Interesting days...

Last edited:

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I'm looking forward to that iCloud implementation. Taking a picture on iPhone, coming home, and finding it in your iPhoto. Great stuff!

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
What can an iPhone do that an Android phone cannot?

iPhone's only remaining advantage is:
1. Battery life (which is very nice)

Android phones have made inroads in every other category where they meet or exceed the capability of the iphone.

I am not sure why people on this forum still have this debate? The Android operating system has had more features than iOS for at least a year.

krymzon40

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
iPhone

I have a Nexus S 4G and I'm going to sell it as soon as the next iPhone comes out.

From my experience with iOS on my iPad, it's a much smoother, much more stable experience.

You don't have to think about your phone or worry about things crashing or apps being unstable.

Another thing - The iPhone 4 is still an amazing phone over a year after it was released. It's still extremely fast and the apps still exceed what is offered on many Android phones today. If you get the next iPhone, it will still be great even a year from now. (The Galaxy S II was just released in the US and Samsung just announced the Galaxy S II LTE and Galaxy S II HD LTE - What the hell??)

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Well, it's been like that on every Android I've used... Most recently, the Epic 4g Touch (GS2). Not sure if it's 16:9, probably is, but at 4.5", there's plenty of real estate to show the conversation...but again, the keyboard/text input takes up the whole screen. Has to be just how it's written on Android, no?

Increasing the screen size does nothing to solve the problem if everything is enlarge at the same rate.
That being said. I just went and looked at it on my phone and it looks like the sms programs are written that way as well where the input windows and the keyboard take over the screen. Honestly I would rather see what I am typing than read the convo. You could try some 3rd party sms Apps and see if they are any different.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
Amazing battery life for a smartphone. My iPhone 4, had it at 100% in the morning, went to work, watched some videos, mostly texted, some calls and at night when I went to charge it again.. 71%.

Honestly, no android phone can beat that.

I also think the display still competes with every android phone. I sell phones all the time and looking at every new phones' display. Nothing comes close to the iPhone 4.

The Galaxy SII is right there though. Bright colorful screen. Still would choose the 4 over it. Watching Netflix on the 4 is great. ;)

And iOS is much more stable than android's.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
For me, it is the media management that keeps me in the Apple ecosystem.

These types of features

Smart Playlists - Google/Android has nothing at present that will do these and I make HEAVY use of these.
Airplay - Love being able to start watching/listening to something on th go, get home, and then finish watching/playing on my ATV
Apple Remote - Again, being able to them control the content on the ATV/iTiunes from my iPad/iPhone is very useful.
iCloud - coming soon, but the ability to keep apps and data synced automatically between an iPHone and iPad is huge. It makes them not two separate devices but an extenstion of each other.

Also, backups - there is no easy way in Android to backup your phone, get your new phone, restore and be right back where you were on the old phone.

With the combination of all these you really are getting close to the holy grail of access to any media content, anywhere, anytime. Not 100% but getting close.

There is really nothing like the above in stock android. There are some 3rd party apps that attempt to do some of them, but in the end just about all still tie back into iTunes. Even the new google music service has no support for smart playlists at present.

Just going to point out that you are pretty wrong on a lot of that.
Double Twist can handle the syncing of smart play list. It updates off of your iTunes playlist.

Air play again go check out double twist. Also DLNA devices play just fine off of the Android phone. Sadly Apple choose not to take part there but you yet again Double twist Airplay can play to your Apple TV.

Yes there are remotes in the Android Market Place.

As for the syncing of stuff like iCloud. I have not seen anything that really tells me iCloud is going to be from services already out there.

As for backups I have not explored that past Titanium Back up but then again I am rooted so I tended to jump on that one.

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Yeah, work properly and as expected.

Every Android phone I have ever been handed can't even get scrolling right. When I see an Android phone scroll as smooth and fluid as an iPhone, then we'll talk.

I've been a die-hard iPhone user since the original. I've gotten into TONS of arguments about how the iPhone bones all others. I've tested many different Android phones and felt the same thing you mentioned about how they aren't as fluid.

I played with the Samsung Galaxy S2 yesterday, and I have to admit, it's just as fluid as the iPhone.

As far as the original question, both OSs are capable of doing the same things, really. Every big app that I have on my iPhone seems to be available on Android phones now, too. Fluidity in the motion of things happening on the phone is finally on par with the iPhone (at least with the Galaxy S2 it is), every phone I've played with functions VERY SIMILARLY, seeing that every phone that exists these days bases their functionality on the iPhone's.

The iPhone has a better UI (to me) and it works perfectly with Macs.

Android phones have widgets (a HUGE plus to me), and have a very large variety of shapes and sizes of phones, screens, etc...obviously way more options as far as the physical phone goes.

Those are the big things that I've noticed. If Apple doesn't release a new iPhone 5 with a bigger screen, I'll probably end up switching to the S2 for a while.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The one thing still missing from the iPhone is a native voice navigation app as reliable as Google Navigation. Why doesn't Nagivation also work with iPhone? :T If IPhone uses Google Maps, why not also Nav?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
software software software.

Every software that's written and available on iOS is expected to work flawlessly because apple controls hardware and os.
Because of this reason, (along w/ the fact that people actually spend money on apps) there are more and better software being written for iOS.

That's all you have to know.
THis is indisputable truth.

You call it truth? Somehow you overlooked the fact that most software for iPhone is not written by Apple and Apple has absolutely no control over its quality.

Also, total number of apps for Android phones was expected to surpass the number of apps for iPhone in August. I have not seen the actual stats lately but one hing is clear - the numbers are almost equal. One can get confused by the total number of apps for iOS which counts the apps for both iPhone and iPad. In the context of this discussion, obviously iPad-specific apps are irrelevant.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
The one thing still missing from the iPhone is a native voice navigation app as reliable as Google Navigation. Why doesn't Nagivation also work with iPhone? :T If IPhone uses Google Maps, why not also Nav?

I got to use Google Navigation this weekend with my Atrix for the first time and it's really nice. I know it's holding out to Android specific, but I'm hoping that Apple will find something comparable. I'd rather not have to buy another navigation app if I don't have to. And Google Navigation Works well.

On the thread as a whole, iOS just works better than Android. Android is a bit clunky and iOS is just all nice and uniform. Once I can upgrade, I'm looking to go back to the iPhone since, for me, it just works better.

naths

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Bristol.UK
simple answer....absoloutly nothing now....the last major problem was battery life...my SGS2 lasts all day no problem,longer than my iphone4 ever did,plus now if my SGS2 ever does go flat,iv got a fully charged spare battery in my wallet that i can just put in...iphone4=wall socket:(

macinnv

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
About battery life.. Apple does beat Android out the door on battery life. I dont believe a single Android phone beats the iPhone 4, I could be wrong though. Some phones come close - if it has a smaller screen and running stock Android then you should come close. An example being the T-Mobile G2's battery life.

However, I've purchased a more powerful battery on every Android phone I have ever owned. (And no Im not talking about the bulky extended batteries.) Usually from eBay, I pay about $10-20 and it can get me about a day and a half on moderate to heavy use.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Increasing the screen size does nothing to solve the problem if everything is enlarge at the same rate.
That being said. I just went and looked at it on my phone and it looks like the sms programs are written that way as well where the input windows and the keyboard take over the screen. Honestly I would rather see what I am typing than read the convo. You could try some 3rd party sms Apps and see if they are any different.

Well, it's usually not that big of a deal with SMS', but still useful to see the convo at times. But it's also the same in email IIRC? And when replying to an email longer than a couple of sentences, I'm usually referring back to the message and it was a PITA with Android. I don't think any of the 3rd party keyboards solve this issue for me.

If it had an easier way of hiding the keyboard, I wouldn't mind so much. i.e. on my BB Storm, a simple swipe down hid the keyboard, and swipe up from the bottom brought it back up. (Probably the only good thing about the device lol)

Just a small complaint, I know...but with SMS and email the things I do most on the phone, it's an annoyance.

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
  • Quality Apps
  • software support
  • the OS it's written only for this device and is smoother
  • easy to use
  • it's an iPhone
  • and it's made from Apple!

and way more things...

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
simple answer....absoloutly nothing now....the last major problem was battery life...my SGS2 lasts all day no problem,longer than my iphone4 ever did,plus now if my SGS2 ever does go flat,iv got a fully charged spare battery in my wallet that i can just put in...iphone4=wall socket:(

My SGS2 drains battery way more than my iPhone 4 did. Since school started I've barely used my phone for more than checking a couple things on the Pulse, and a few text messages, and I can barely get through a full day, (unplug at 8:30AM when I wake up, and plug back in at around midnight). I usually end up getting that low battery warning at 15% when I'm on my way home from work or something.

My iPhone doing the same stuff would be at 40% usually by the end of my day.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
JUst want to reiterate my point -- or making a new one.

It's entirely possible that you pick a specific droid phone and your experience can be as equally pleasant or joyable (or from some's perspective, exceed) as iphone. This is possible because of some phone's enormous spec and some hardware actually being really well made(probably, you want to fill in the blanks here but I would put galaxy s2).
From there arguments can be made on the apps. Availablity and the fludity of them coexisting w/ your needs and operate to your best of needs.

UNfortunately, however, when talking about droid phones in general vs iphone, you can't make the same comparision.
User experience fluctuate so badly from device to device that it's almost stupid for someone to compare. Scope of the problem is too huge and too complicated for us to draw any useful conclusion.

I have used droid x and droid 1. I have also tested out galaxy s2.
I think you know what I think of them. Overall, this is an invalid argument.

Do not ask what iphone can do that droid phones cannot.
Go try the **** out. If you like it, buy it. It will be obsolete in 6 month anyway and you gonna want the next great phone.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Well, it's usually not that big of a deal with SMS', but still useful to see the convo at times. But it's also the same in email IIRC? And when replying to an email longer than a couple of sentences, I'm usually referring back to the message and it was a PITA with Android. I don't think any of the 3rd party keyboards solve this issue for me.

If it had an easier way of hiding the keyboard, I wouldn't mind so much. i.e. on my BB Storm, a simple swipe down hid the keyboard, and swipe up from the bottom brought it back up. (Probably the only good thing about the device lol)

Just a small complaint, I know...but with SMS and email the things I do most on the phone, it's an annoyance.

SwiftKey keyboard has the swype down short cut that you want and to bring it back up it is a tap in text area.

zeetee96

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
Well, I guess the simple fact of the matter is that, while an Android Phone can do almost everything an iPhone can, maybe more... That iOS is just a much faster and slicker operating system, meaning everything it does that is comparable is just better than Android... Obviously this is to do with the fact that Apple can tailor their software to their devices, but essentially, that's all there is too it...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The ease of setting things up and the fact that it remains stable & worry free is a huge factor.

All I've seen in this thread is Android users replying to what the iPhone does with their own bootlegged version of how to do it on an Android. I'm pretty sure most iPhone users don't want to deal with all of the complications. Sure Android can sync, airplay, videochat, and etc: with the right apps and tweaks. But to have it done as smoothly, reliable, and near flawless as the iPhone is just not where Android is at right now.

Being that said, I do like some of the things better on Android. Like the Google integration, especially with Google Voice compared to on the iPhone.

But overall it comes down to what's been said since day one, iPhone is just a better experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.