Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
Hey guys, sounds like most people are getting their Thunderbolt Display's shipped and some people have set them up, would love to see pics of your setups showing your new Thunderbolt display's :)

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
Here my setup

Attachments

• IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 3,717
  • IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 3,718

evro50

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
296ir11.jpg

:) Great displays - was worried all the negative feedback on glossy screen, but now that they're infront of me...fantastic!

Temporary setup as it is..moving soon so new desk/layout soon to make it less cluttered

Last edited by a moderator:

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
Loving your new display's :) Thanks for the pics guys, I'm jealous, I only have the one 27" Cinema Display, if only I could get a Thunderbolt Display and somehow hook them up together !

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Snap! regarding the Ikea Galant glass top desk.

Yeah, that makes me nervous looking at that. What are those desks rated at? The ACDs weigh a zillion pounds. If that thing where to go it would traumatize you for life. Also, if your legs were under the table.......

But we all know. You can trust IKEA. :eek:

I know of this happening actually. People assume they will hold up. But I have some unfortunate memories. Very bad results, and serious injury.

dubAdub

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
Bray, Ireland
Yeah, that makes me nervous looking at that. What are those desks rated at? The ACDs weigh a zillion pounds. If that thing where to go it would traumatize you for life. Also, if your legs were under the table.......

I wouldn't have any worries about the frame or legs. If there's going to be an issue I think it's likely to be excessive load on the glass or a sharp impact.

Mine has about 30 kg (66 lbs) spread out over the desk. I tried to put most of the load near the supports. I'm not worried about the present load. The glass top is pretty sturdy.

Dropping a hammer on it might cause trouble though.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010

But we all know. You can trust IKEA. :eek:

I know of this happening actually. People assume they will hold up. But I have some unfortunate memories. Very bad results, and serious injury.

I recently purchased that desk. I opted for the non glass surface. Ikea is nice stuff, but I didn't feel to comfortable with the glass surface.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I recently purchased that desk. I opted for the non glass surface. Ikea is nice stuff, but I didn't feel to comfortable with the glass surface.

Yeah I have what I thought was a nice IKEA desk and it collapsed last week after I apparently bumped one of the legs at the wrong angle, causing the bolt to detach. Luckily the weight was centered on the back, so the only casualty was my Viewsonic monitor, which was saved however by a particularly Matrix-esque move on my part.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
:) Great displays - was worried all the negative feedback on glossy screen, but now that they're infront of me...fantastic!

Temporary setup as it is..moving soon so new desk/layout soon to make it less cluttered

What is driving these two? I wanted to buy two when I went to the store but I still don't a mbp can handle two of these well. My current gen 17" revs up time to time with its fans so I can only imagine what it would sound like with two of them.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
View attachment 303519

Just replaced my Apple 23" Cinema Display and 2006 Mac Pro. Loving the new TBD with an i7 Mini.

Good minimalist look.

I actually managed to create what I feel is the most attractive workspace I've ever had at a job. Company provided 13" 2011 MBP + self-purchased discounted Thunderbolt Display = quite nice. The stand I bought for the MacBook Pro fits perfectly underneath the display with room to breathe, and the fan vent underneath keeps the MBP cool even in clamshell mode.

This is what Apple should have done. Create a true dock solution. First picture is after I got everything wired. Second is the "promo shot". Third is the "day to day" shot. Lighting came out different because I was toying with the brightness settings of the Bionic to compensate for over-darkening that it was doing.

Since I know at least one person will ask....

Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750. Quite an amazing keyboard, this. It's "solar" but it charges from pretty much any light source. So basically I will never need to replace batteries because the overhead lighting keeps it charged throughout the day. Helps that it matches the monitor too. Why not an Apple Keyboard, you ask? Because I run VMs at work 50% of the time and it's just easier to do it with a PC keyboard.

Stand: Cooler Master NotePal Ergostand Notebook Cooler R9-NBS-4UAK. This stand can also lift to various ergonomic positions if one wants to use the laptop's screen as a secondary monitor; but I figured that it would be best suited as the base under the display, and wow does it look great there. It actually has a USB hub on it as well which I use instead of the Thunderbolt's hub given some of the reports issues with keyboards and mice randomly dropping out. It's also easier to reach to add or remove USB devices rather than having to turn the monitor around each time. I do use the Ethernet passthrough even though I don't really use the local LAN due to its slowness. The stand has a USB-powered fan; there's a single cable that you could plug into the Thunderbolt Display or, in my case, into the MacBook Pro so that the fan will keep the laptop cool using the existing power.

The mouse is a Microsoft Wireless Desktop Mouse....6000, I think. I've had it for years. I keep it because it has a quiet scroller which is key for me. It's also more ergonomic than the Magic Mouse or the Magic Trackpad. It's powered by Apple Rechargeable Batteries...and they seem to last quite long.

This is quite the green setup. The Apple displays are more energy efficient overall than most of the Dell and HP monitors floating around. The MacBook Pro is less power grubby than any of the other machines in the office and has the only truly recyclable battery. The solar keyboard is as green as it gets, and the rechargeable batteries means no improper disposals. I'm the only one in the office with an Apple computer, and also the only one running a solid state drive.

I almost hesitated in buying the monitor, and in truth it's quite possible that I may end up returning it before the 14-day, if money for some reason gets tight. But I do love the setup.

Attachments

• 2011-09-26_14-48-48_81.jpg
    2011-09-26_14-48-48_81.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,556
  • 2011-09-26_15-51-42_45.jpg
    2011-09-26_15-51-42_45.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,528
  • 2011-09-26_15-52-25_848.jpg
    2011-09-26_15-52-25_848.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,340
Last edited:

evro50

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
What is driving these two? I wanted to buy two when I went to the store but I still don't a mbp can handle two of these well. My current gen 17" revs up time to time with its fans so I can only imagine what it would sound like with two of them.

Hi Mate,

It's off a 15" MBP you can barely see it in the pic near the guitar amp :)

I run mine on a fan cooler, but I did tinker around with the mbp without the cooler at first - I couldn't hear anything during that time.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I <3 mine. :D

[edit] Oh and the glare is really not as bad as that pic shows. Bad background lighting for pics is all.

Photo1.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.