Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
SwiftKey keyboard has the swype down short cut that you want and to bring it back up it is a tap in text area.

HTC keyboards have a little icon on the left to drop the keyboard down. Some phones also drop it if you tap the Menu key.

But overall it comes down to what's been said since day one, iPhone is just a better experience.

For you, sure. Other people can have different needs, wants... and histories.

It's a well known phenomenon that user preference often comes down to the type of UI a person learned on first.

For instance, people who started with a dedicated Back button often miss it when it's not available.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
The ease of setting things up and the fact that it remains stable & worry free is a huge factor.

All I've seen in this thread is Android users replying to what the iPhone does with their own bootlegged version of how to do it on an Android. I'm pretty sure most iPhone users don't want to deal with all of the complications. Sure Android can sync, airplay, videochat, and etc: with the right apps and tweaks. But to have it done as smoothly, reliable, and near flawless as the iPhone is just not where Android is at right now.

Being that said, I do like some of the things better on Android. Like the Google integration, especially with Google Voice compared to on the iPhone.

But overall it comes down to what's been said since day one, iPhone is just a better experience.

I wonder if Google ONLY put it's efforts into ONE or TWO devices how it would be? I would bet it would be 10x better then any iphone.

I applaud Google for all it's efforts and working with all these different manufactures so we can have different sizes and shapes. Variety is the spice of life.

I applaud Google and the manufactures for making low cost Android devices.

In the end Google/Android is going to win this silly little battle because they have the right mindset.

Even Windows is going to surpass Apple in the end because they to have the right mindset.

People must think Android is going to get more unstable but in fact they are getting more and more stable while doing so much more.

Again if Android was a piece of junk this thread wouldn't be 5 pages long and counting, the fact of the matter is Android has come a long way and getting better.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Is the iphone battery genuinely better than most androids? Because I complain about my iphones battery as it is. :eek:

you can definitely tinker with an android phone to get more battery life than an iPhone 4, but requires rooting/tinkering, so much that the average consumer wouldn't go through the hassle.

yes, out of the box, iPhone4 delivers the best battery life compared to Android phones. This is more of a carrier/handset manufacturer issue than anything else though.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
For you, sure. Other people can have different needs, wants... and histories.

Of course I know that. I just don't feel the need to put a "In My Opinion" disclaimer on every post I make. :p

It's a well known phenomenon that user preference often comes down to the type of UI a person learned on first.

For instance, people who started with a dedicated Back button often miss it when it's not available.

Actually I disagree. Yea for a short time there might still be a learning curve or preference, but most usually adapt and become accustomed to change. There is a decent percentage of folks who refuse or just never become naturally accustomed to change.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Just going to point out that you are pretty wrong on a lot of that.
Double Twist can handle the syncing of smart play list. It updates off of your iTunes playlist.

Air play again go check out double twist. Also DLNA devices play just fine off of the Android phone. Sadly Apple choose not to take part there but you yet again Double twist Airplay can play to your Apple TV.

Yes there are remotes in the Android Market Place.

You didn't read the last paragraph where I said there were 3rd party products that would tie into the apple ecosystem, but there is nothing from google to compete with it.

If you are still going to sync with itunes from a 3rd party product then you haven't really replaced itunes. Second you are dealing with a 3rd party product and not something that is built into android.

Double twist (again, third party) does have airplay but does not have full airplay support. It does not work with airport express for example. Again, they are just tieing into the Apple ecosystem instead of building something to compete.

There are remotes, but do they function like the apple remote for controlling itunes/ATV type products? I doubt it. The apple remote is more then just a replacement for a remote that comes with the apple TV. In fact, it is far superior to the crappy remote that comes with ATV.

erialvzz805

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Google (the maker of Android) PAYS Apple to be the default search engine on iPhone. I can guarantee that before Google Music, Google would have paid apple to have iTunes on Droids. That simple. Apple doesn't need any of its technology on Droids, yet Google pays to be on iOS.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
  • Quality Apps
  • software support
  • the OS it's written only for this device and is smoother
  • easy to use
  • it's an iPhone
  • and it's made from Apple!

and way more things...

Chrchrchrchr ... thank you for this, you made my day!!!

Please do me a favor:

May i use this post as my sig in other forums???

I am serious, this is no joke!!

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Why do people every complain about batteries not lasting more than a day? It's so stupid. When you go to sleep at night, just plug the effing phone in and it'll be charged when you wake up the next day. As long as the phone battery can last 14 or 15 hour span, it should be fine and it shouldn't matter if the battery is at 10% or 50% at the end of that span, because you're going to be asleep, not using the phone anyway.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Is the iphone battery genuinely better than most androids? Because I complain about my iphones battery as it is. :eek:

If you are in an area with a strong signal, then your iPhone 4 can last 2 days with moderate use, 3+ at idle.

Very few smartphones with large touchscreens are capable of that kind of battery life. It is a benefit of the iPhone4's dim(mer than others) IPS display, lack of multi-tasking, and lack of flash.

Most android phones need to be on the charger after a day of moderate use. I usually carry a spare battery in my pocket with my phone if I know that I will be out all day moving around too much to use a charger.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I wonder if Google ONLY put it's efforts into ONE or TWO devices how it would be? I would bet it would be 10x better then any iphone.

No, it would just be the another Nexus. ;)

I applaud Google for all it's efforts and working with all these different manufactures so we can have different sizes and shapes. Variety is the spice of life.

I applaud Google and the manufactures for making low cost Android devices.

In the end Google/Android is going to win this silly little battle because they have the right mindset.

Even Windows is going to surpass Apple in the end because they to have the right mindset.

Win what battle? There is not really a battle to win.

You talk as is Google is some robin hood company that takes care of the average Joe, when fact is Google is just out to permanently become a part of everyone's DNA.

You thank Google a lot. Have you thanked Google for the crappy phones too, instead of just the good ones? You think Google cares about all the crappy devices being shoved on to unsuspected consumers in their name. Absolutely not, as long as the phone's personal contents are stored on their database.

I personally think Windows phone will surpass Android if MS stays committed to it.

People must think Android is going to get more unstable but in fact they are getting more and more stable while doing so much more.

To many variables between devices to make this statement true or false. My be true on one new device and false on another new device. For many that gets old quick. Even MS is trying to keep things tight with W7.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
N
You talk as is Google is some robin hood company that takes care of the average Joe, when fact is Google is just out to permanently become a part of everyone's DNA.

That is the part that worries me the most. People talk about not being able to escape the apple ecosystem, but in reality it is the google ecosystem that is impossible to escape. Who doesn't use at least one or two google apps? You have google dominating search, bug player in the mail market, also in the voice market, contacts, calendar, the phone market, getting into social networking, pretty much own online maps, and also want to move into the TV market heavily. Google makes some nice stuff, but I do wonder at times how much of my information do I want handled by a single company - especially a company whose primary source of revenue is advertising. People get bent out of shape over the location information that might have been sent to Cupertino (but wasn't), but happily give all their info to Google.

Grahamwho

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

My best friend works at Verizon something he told me the other day was that out of all the android phones they have right now none of them will output Netflix over hdmi, if the android phone happens to have an hdmi port, it will black out the screen if u hook it up to a tv. The iPhone can push out Netflix and etc over airplay or hdmi, composite, component, or VGA w/ an adapter.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
So, as we can see from all these posts, here is nothing iPhone can do that Android phones can't. The opposite however is not true. Here is what Android phones can do that iPhone can't:

* NFC (near-field communications)
* [AM]OLED screens
* true HD screens (1280 x 720)
* LED indicators
* metal enclosures
* Gorilla Glass
* 4G (LTE)
* Dual Core CPUs
* 1GB RAM
* flash memory cards
* Pen input (à la Samsung Note)
* variety of screen sizes (so that a person could choose what fits him/her best)
* ability to install applications not approved by Apple (or anybody else to that matter)
* phone unlocking by finger-print reader

Grahamwho

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Another thing he said which I was pretty shocked about was out of the phones with front facing cameras, at least at vzw, can't use like fring, tango etc, for video calls and utilize the FFC, they can use the back camera but not the front. Which kinda defeats the purpose. Maybe he's wrong I dont know first hand but he's an android fanboy, and said he had personally tried it with every android phone vzw has right now. Crazy stuff. Can anyone confirm this?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
So, as we can see from all these posts, here is nothing iPhone can do that Android phones can't. The opposite however is not true. Here is what Android phones can do that iPhone can't:

* [AM]OLED screens
* LED indicators
* metal enclosures
* Gorilla Glass
* 4G (LTE)
* Dual Core CPUs
* 1GB RAM
* flash memory cards
* variety of screen sizes (so that a person could choose what fits him/her best)
* ability to install applications not approved by Apple (or anybody else to that matter)

And the ONE phone that has that all is? ..............

Pen Input, Finger -print reader, REALLY? That's like comparing small things like the iPhone hard silent toggle.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC

In the end? Well today, Apple's killing them both. Check their bank roll. Android's partners have made about 75 or so devices compared to Apple's 4. None of those 75 have outsold the current gen Apple product. Android's have come a long way, but we're years away from them producing a single phone that can top the latest iPhone. Even that estimate might be too generous.

The consumer has and continues to choose their favorite device. Apple wins year in and year out.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
And the ONE phone that has that all is? ..............

Pen Input, Finger -print reader, REALLY? That's like comparing small things like the iPhone hard silent toggle.

No single phone has it all but people can choose the phones that do have the features they prefer most. Also, many Android phones have everything iPhone does and then a few extras from the aforementioned list.

Grahamwho

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011

Is there an android phone that can video out to VGA hdmi composite and component? Just curious.

naths

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Bristol.UK

* [AM]OLED screens
* LED indicators
* metal enclosures
* Gorilla Glass
* 4G (LTE)
* Dual Core CPUs
* 1GB RAM
* flash memory cards

well said,and thats only the current versions,quad-core soon,and samsungs newest screen,supposed to be a lot better than samoled...
and the nexus prime with is googles flagship,and as with all nexus phones 100% google backed....just seems a bit odd why apple are releasing a phone with specs(rumoured,may be better) that only match current android phones,yet in a couple of months the new android devices are going to be a lot lot better than the current,along with the release of the latest version of android,ICS.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
In the end? Well today, Apple's killing them both. Check their bank roll. Android's partners have made about 75 or so devices compared to Apple's 4. None of those 75 have outsold the current gen Apple product. Android's have come a long way, but we're years away from them producing a single phone that can top the latest iPhone. Even that estimate might be too generous.

The consumer has and continues to choose their favorite device. Apple wins year in and year out.

Give it one more year pal and see where were at then. Apple had a good run but as always there close minded mentality will be the crux of them.

Grahamwho

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011

Ram and processor specs are good to compare between android phones, but mean less when comparing iOS and android. The iP4 has a single core a8 probably runnin somewhere around 850mhz and still runs smother than a lot of the faster clocked or dual core android phones. Not saying they don't matter at all just sayin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.