Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mashable claims that Facebook is actually launching its long awaited iPad app at Apple's rumored October 4th media even where the company is believed to be launching iOS 5 and the iPhone 5.
Facebook will launch its long-awaited iPad app at Apple's iPhone 5 launch event on Oct. 4, Mashable has learned. In addition to the iPad app, Facebook is also expected to release a revamped version of its iPhone app and may unveil an HTML5-based mobile app marketplace.
The news comes after a report that a Facebook developer had quit with concerns that the iPad Facebook app may never launch.

According to Mashable, Facebook may also introduce a revamped iPhone app as well. There has been evidence in the past that the two companies would be working to integrate Facebook into iOS much as Apple has done with Twitter, but disagreements reportedly derailed the integration. Separately, we had received an unconfirmed tip that Facebook may actually be integrated with iOS 5, but we have been unable to corroborate that information.

Apple is expected to hold a media event on October 4th where the company will introduce the iPhone 5 and announce a release date for iOS 5.

Article Link: Facebook iPad App to Launch at iOS 5 and iPhone 5 Event?

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Between Nuance integration and Facebook it seems there are several features in iOS 5 that are not in the beta versions the developers have been testing.

r018u

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
If that's true this is a kick in the teeth for the guy who's just quit Facebook after developing the app.. could have taken all the credit at the Oct 4th event! But I'm sure Google are paying more money for him to care about this. :rolleyes:

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
I stopped caring about a Facebook app a long time ago. I spend less than 15 minutes on FB a week, tendency falling, as it is becoming more and more annoying to use.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Wow, a rumor about a rumored app launching at a rumored event about a rumored phone.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Apple is keeping Facebook alive. Everyone is leaving Boringbook and using Twitter exclusively these days.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
facebook was just waiting till they could start charging people before they released it. :D

abhimat.gautam

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Makes sense. I think I remember reading that their timeline feature is supposed to be released to the public on Oct. 3.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
I thought ios5 was about twitter integration not Facebook it doesn't make sense.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
If the new Facebook app is anything like the revised Facebook web interface, I'll pass. The new changes are a giant step backwards.

eye

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Detroit
Who cares?! FACEBOOK SUCKS.

Twitter is where it's at.

@isaacdull

If you really believe any of them are any different (myspace, Facebook, twitter, google plus, etc etc), you're nuts. People will keep moving to the newest and coolest indefinitely, but there's no difference. My demographic has no use for it, so we're not on any of them. Kids and women will always be into these things and move from one to the next, most people will not be into any of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.