Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Ram and processor specs are good to compare between android phones, but mean less when comparing iOS and android. The iP4 has a single core a8 probably runnin somewhere around 850mhz and still runs smother than a lot of the faster clocked or dual core android phones. Not saying they don't matter at all just sayin.

Agreed. Specs doesn't matter if the OS isn't optimized for it. Android phones need to be clocked high just to run Android OS smoothly... :rolleyes:

PJLPR

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
Colorado, USA
Android and iOS

Android can do everything that iOS does, plus some. When you talk strictly about the operating system, it has much greater flexibility for the end user. iOS does have much less of a learning curve, and I haven't had to restart my iPhone once in the 5 months I've owned it. An app has never crashed my phone once. There are many things to be said for android though. The browsing experience is more "desktop-like" because of flash support, and notifications are done with far less intrusiveness. iOS will fix answer much of that, aside from flash, but I don't know how I feel about Apple straight copying androids notification interface while suing makers of android products such as Samsung for copyright infringement. Apple got into a ton of trouble resting on the laurels of lawsuits in the 90's before the return of Steve Jobs, and I would hate for them to slip back into old habits. That's my piece.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Give it one more year pal and see where were at then. Apple had a good run but as always there close minded mentality will be the crux of them.

That mentality has helped them to be one if the most valuable companies in the world. Just sayin'. Drag this thread up in a year and we'll see how ya did. :)

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Android is very bad compared to iOS. Half of my class has iOS devices!
Here is my "two-cents" :confused: What is "two-cents"?
1) Ice Cream Sandwich: What a stupid name. I'd rather have iOS 5.
2) Lag: Even a SGII lags more than the iPhone 4.

uscsailor

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
More options doesn't make a product any better.

A automobile manufacturer can offer a dozen different horn sounds for a particular car but does it mean that the car itself will perform better?

But they can put different horns on different cars can they not?

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Half of your class probably ride Huffy bikes. Does that make it better than a mercedez benz?

SGII does not lag more than an iphone 4. Clearly you have never even used a GS2.

uscsailor

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Is there an android phone that can video out to VGA hdmi composite and component? Just curious.

HDMI is built into many android phones and all HTC phones do video out through mini usb if the hdmi isn't built in

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

yeah said:

Yeah, you clearly haven't used the GS2

joegleur

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Half of your class probably ride Huffy bikes. Does that make it better than a mercedez benz?

SGII does not lag more than an iphone 4. Clearly you have never even used a GS2.

android by far is no merc esp in comparing it to the iPhone. build quality-wise, SGII < iPhone. apps quality-wise SGII < iPhone (and c'mon ppl. stop comparing "uh. i've got angry birds on my phone too. my phone does everything iPhone does". compare HIGH END apps please).

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
android by far is no merc esp in comparing it to the iPhone. build quality-wise, SGII < iPhone. apps quality-wise SGII < iPhone (and c'mon ppl. stop comparing "uh. i've got angry birds on my phone too. my phone does everything iPhone does". compare HIGH END apps please).

You missed the point he was making about the bikes. Just because people buy it doesn't make it good.

As for the apps thing, most people will never use the high end apps. I know I'm never going to edit photos and music on my phone when I have a computer for that, so it's irrelevant to me, as it is to a lot of people. I agree about the build quality, but Apple did make a stupid choice by picking glass for the material.

joegleur

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
You missed the point he was making about the bikes. Just because people buy it doesn't make it good.

As for the apps thing, most people will never use the high end apps. I know I'm never going to edit photos and music on my phone when I have a computer for that, so it's irrelevant to me, as it is to a lot of people. I agree about the build quality, but Apple did make a stupid choice by picking glass for the material.

arent we suppose to take a post by someone and make a juxtaposed post about something else so we can keep squabbling? that's how forums work isnt it? jk. sorry, i got the poster's drift but that merc thing made me want to talk about build quality.

well, with high end apps, at least it shows the platform has the ability to provide such accessible quality apps for mobile users. with that itself (disclaimer: it's my opinion in this next line), musicians, filmmakers, and designers will already be more inclined to an iPhone because it allows them to do work/hobby-related tasks on the road.

you may find it irrelevant to yourself but apps like camera+ has sold over 3million copies and that to me, is a lot of people. more accessible apps like gaming apps for instance, the iOS has infinity blade and N.O.V.A which has sold many millions more. you'd be hard pressed to find anything of equivalent quality on android.

so apps is indeed a factor when comparing android to iOS that people shouldn't dismiss just because they themselves don't use certain apps.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Glass back I though was stupid as well. The other part I though was dumb and a poor move by apple was having the end of the glass expose. That greatly increases the chances of it cracking from being dropped.

I am also with you when people start arguing the high end apps they clearly to me are grasphing at straws since hardly anyone ever really uses those at all. THey may have a high download but never really are used.

Also Android does have some of the high end ones on there if you go looking and in some ways they offer a lot of apps that no way in hell would ever make it into the App store.

Go check out the tegra 2 games for android. You have a lot of high end games in that department.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
arent we suppose to take a post by someone and make a juxtaposed post about something else so we can keep squabbling? that's how forums work isnt it? jk. sorry, i got the poster's drift but that merc thing made me want to talk about build quality.

well, with high end apps, at least it shows the platform has the ability to provide such accessible quality apps for mobile users. with that itself (disclaimer: it's my opinion in this next line), musicians, filmmakers, and designers will already be more inclined to an iPhone because it allows them to do work/hobby-related tasks on the road.

you may find it irrelevant to yourself but apps like camera+ has sold over 3million copies and that to me, is a lot of people. more accessible apps like gaming apps for instance, the iOS has infinity blade and N.O.V.A which has sold many millions more. you'd be hard pressed to find anything of equivalent quality on android.

so apps is indeed a factor when comparing android to iOS that people shouldn't dismiss just because they themselves don't use certain apps.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that apps aren't important, I just meant that for the most part games like Angry Birds are the extent to what people need/use. That said, there are those who use the apps you mentioned, and there is merit in comparing them, I just feel that it's not as important a factor as other aspects of comparison between the two.

Grahamwho

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011
HDMI is built into many android phones and all HTC phones do video out through mini usb if the hdmi isn't built in

So is that a no then? I know alot of android phones have hdmi outs or mini and micro USB video outs. My question was is there an android phone that can do video out through VGA, & component,& composite, and hdmi, like the iPhone 4/ipads can. That was my question. Also, do most of the video apps blackout when hdmi is plugged in like Netflix does on android? Again just wondering?

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
what can an iphone do that a android phone can't
Become coveted to the point that mothers in Asia want to smuggle them into the country and people want to steal it from bars around the world. I don't hear anyone wanting to do that with a Droid.

Most Droid users get a Droid without thinking about not having access to the App Store. Big mistake. Nothing compares and nothing ever will. Except a better iTunes App Store.

A couple of guys at work were all, "I'm getting a Droid because I don't want a phone that can't do Flash and I don't want to buy a phone from a company that doesn't let me decide this and that for myself blah blah blah boo hoo hoo". A few months later the envy kicked in when they realized their app store was crunk and they realized they don't visit sites that require Flash and that their phones were essentially mobile Windows PCs.

All Droid users can do is talk about Hz this and RAM this. Specs mean nothing when everything changes every six months. I mean really. Do you really get that horny over a few more whatever whatever? Droid users talk about specs. iPhone users talk about how much they use their phones for this and that in their lives.

EDIT: Oh lookie. A Droider clicked on the minus button :) I'd say I'm surprised but...

Last edited:

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Android has DLNA. Works nicely with my Panasonic TV too.
No need for any third party hardware (read Apple TV). ;)

Your TV has to support it so you still need hardware that supports it. There is more hardware that supports DLNA then Airplay but you still need DLNA compatible hardware - a Panasonic TV is still technically third party software. My TV does not support DLNA so I would still have to buy a device to use it.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
T Mobile 4.5 inch screen SG2 is cough $529.00 cough. Is that iphone 4 still cough $650.00 cough.

You should get that cough looked at. :rolleyes:

To Apple, you are the customer. They make their money from sales to you.

To Google, you are the product. The advertisers are the customers. They make their money from sales to advertisers. Google is selling you.

I know that isn't really what iOS can do vs Android, but it is about the philosophy in the design and implementation of the platforms and companies. That's the biggest reason I'll stick with Apple. I choose not to be sold by Google. Everyone says it is about choice, and so that is my choice.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
In general either OS will do everything that is wanted by the vast majority of users.
I prefer iOS over my Android for other reasons. iOS offers more consistently smooth performance and UI polish and battery life. Android manufactures also tend to drop support for older devices much sooner then Apple.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
In general either OS will do everything that is wanted by the vast majority of users.
I prefer iOS over my Android for other reasons. iOS offers more consistently smooth performance and UI polish and battery life. Android manufactures also tend to drop support for older devices much sooner then Apple.

Well said. Both platforms are capable of more than the average user needs and the apps most people want are available on both platforms. Seems to me the decision should be made on the user interface and how the phone operates. Obviously android is doing something right or the platform wouldn't be gaining so much market share and of course the next iphone will be the best selling phone. Go to the store, play with them and get what you like. Don't worry about what other people get.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
What can iPhone do that Android can't? Heres a list:

When you browse the web, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you check your email, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you check your Twitter, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you check your Facebook, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you use GPS, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you open your notes program, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you browse YouTube, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you scroll on any screen, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you add apps to the iPhone, you don't feel like you are slowly making your system more sluggish with every tool you add. The way iOS works there is no eventual sluggishness.
You can actually download Tiny Wings, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Infinity Blade, and even actual Squaresoft and EA games; iOS is like PS3/XBOX and Android is like the Wii. You guys don't get all the releases. Like Call of Duty came on PS3/XBOX/PC but Wii just got some cheap imitation. Who really knows how many titles you are really missing being on Android?? -and who knows how many more releases you WONT get in the future? Do your really want to be on the wrong side of that trend?

So yeah, those are the things that are better about iPhone over Android. Pretty much all the basics like web, email, apps... they all run longer because of the better battery management system. So you can do everything more, longer, better. It just works.

Its why all the cool people have iPhones.

Last edited:

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
For me it's all about dependability. I had the 3G, then the 4 [skipped the 3Gs]. I was issued a new Android phone at my current employer. Had my 4, and they had some Verizon DROID variation. Used it for a week, and then turned it off and gave it back.

During that time I came to appreciate how solid iOS was/is. I turn it on, and it works. Mail works, Web works, Calendar works, et-al. Could not say the same for the DROID. Mail was flaky, apps froze, and had to reset the phone a few times during that small window of use. Could have been a lemon, but like they say "First impressions...".

Flash was kinda cool. But after about 30 minutes on a few flash sites, and seeing my battery plummet from 80% down to about 30% killed it for me...YMMV?

Anywho; I'll stick to iOS for the foreseeable future. If things change, then so will I...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.