Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
How do you go back to an old version of the iPod firmware? I installed my old 3G 10GB iPod on a PC and now it won't charge via firewire and when connected to the PC, the battery meter flashes sporadically. I think going back to an old version might solve the problem.

Thanks.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
Just run the old version of the iPod updater.
If you don't still have it, its on Apple's site.

http://search.info.apple.com/?search=Go&lr=lang_&kword=kbdload OR ksysupdate&q=ipod updater

There are several ones listed there.

If it won't do it because its a new version or something like that. You can probably try resetting into disk mode and use disk utility to format the drive, then use the older updater.

Does it charge if you plug it in the wall?

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
New problem: iPod starts up and shows the Apple logo then go to the disconnect dock connecter screen and turns off. It won't mount either. Any idea? This is baffling me.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
Might be time to go to an Apple store.
If you are at Bowdoin, closest is either NH or MA.
Could be a cable, or could be the battery. Can you try using your iPod photo's cord/charger?

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
jayb2000 said:
Could be a cable, or could be the battery. Can you try using your iPod photo's cord/charger?

It doesn't matter what I try. Same thing every time. The apple store is looking like the only option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.