Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple has received considerable publicity for its push to open dozens of new retail stores over the last three months, the company has also been renovating a number of its stores to bring them up to the latest designs. Most of these straightforward renovations result in the stores being closed for about a week, during which time they are boarded up with Apple's standard black construction barriers and posted with notices directing customers to either the closest alternative store location or to Apple's website for information on locations.

Among the locations currently under renovation in the lead-up to the iPhone launch:

chesnut_street_store_closed_att_van.jpg

Chestnut Street retail store in San Francisco
- Chestnut Street (San Francisco, California): Closed September 26th through October 4th. 9to5Mac posted a photo yesterday showing the closed location with an AT&T worker and his van directly in front of the store.

university_village_store_new_layout.jpg

New layout of University Village retail store in Seattle
- University Village (Seattle, Washington): Closed September 26th through October 6th. GeekWire posted the details on the renovation, which include new display counters, Genius Bar, and other fixtures. Planning documents show Apple moving from a layout three product display tables wide to one using four narrower tables across the width of the store. The report also notes that Microsoft will be opening its own retail store directly across a small parking lot from Apple's store on October 20th, giving Apple additional incentive to spruce up the location.

walnut_creek_store_closed.jpg

Walnut Creek retail store (Thanks, John)
- Walnut Creek (Walnut Creek, California): Closed September 26th through October 3rd. The location opened in 2003, but was remodeled back in August 2009.

At least two other stores, Biltmore in Phoenix, Arizona and Sagemore in Marlton, New Jersey, were closed for renovations last week and have since reopened for business.

Article Link: Apple Rushing Retail Store Renovations Ahead of iPhone 5 Launch

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Nice... nice...

looks like Apple is preparing for a new product launch, right?

Have the stores open by October 7th to accept pre-orders, and begin shipping on the 14th?

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
This shows Apple pays attention to every detail, the key behind Apple's success:apple:

Widashy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
If these stores are getting renovated, iPhone 5 must be huge. Can't wait:D

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Just a hunch, but these renovations are probably in lead up to the holiday season not the iPhone 5. And I doubt they are "rushed" as the totality of the planning, approval, and implementation process takes months.

starvingartist8

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
Such a great new phone needs new stores and new layouts :)

Yeh :D I can't wait to see the new iPhone and watch it blow competition out of the water and protect its ideas to bits so no sheeping from samsung. All this new flashy retail stores all over the world I bet it just rubs lemon in the eyes of those haters out there. I bet some of them try to graffiti on it and get caught. Such a waste of life being an Apple hater. Unhealthy to be negative lol

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Hey,
Don't forget Somerset :D

Yeah, I'm from the Detroit area too (obviously, by my user name), but I don't think the Somerset store is going to be open by early October. An employee at the temporary store on the second floor said the new store should be done by THANKSGIVING! :eek:

However, it should be a VERY nice store, in light of how it will double in size! :D

starvingartist8

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
Just a hunch, but these renovations are probably in lead up to the holiday season not the iPhone 5. And I doubt they are "rushed" as the totality of the planning, approval, and implementation process takes months.

I think it has been planned for a year at least to line up nicely for product launch and holiday

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Are we sure this is specifically for the iPhone? Or is this just their routine renovation? They said in the article that a few other stores already finished renovating...but that wasn't for the iPhone.

Muad'Dib

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
Can we now stop the stupid speculation about Oct 5th?? That was just dumb.

Anybody know when the Knox Street store in Dallas is supposed to re-open in it's usual location?

----------

Why would the one store open back up on October 5th and the other on the 4th.. wouldn't they all be the same date?

Why would they all be on the same date? They are all finishing AHEAD of some unknown date (and it's NOT Oct. 5th).

starvingartist8

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
Renovated ?

What, like some doilies on the Tables ?

Hang a few posters?

New light bulbs?

There ain't much to the Apple stores to begin with

Apple does their store layouts very strategically just as they do with their products. The products go over new designs so does the stores. That is why lots of companies even copy the Apple store layouts. Because they are so good.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I sent in a picture of the store in our mall a couple of months ago which had the black construction barriers but I guess it was not news worthy at the time.

Apple opened a temporary store upstairs in the mall while the main store underwent renovation.

This is a very upscale mall that does a ton of Apple business. They receive massive quantities of products on launch days.

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
Can we now stop the stupid speculation about Oct 5th?? That was just dumb.

Anybody know when the Knox Street store in Dallas is supposed to re-open in it's usual location?

----------

Why would they all be on the same date? They are all finishing AHEAD of some unknown date (and it's NOT Oct. 5th).

ahhhhh.. you're so smart :)

DeaconGTG

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
If we're just listing stores that are being rennovated, you missed Knox Street in Highland Park (Dallas, TX).

It's the shop that's always notorious for having one of the first people lined up for big releases. I call West Coast bias on the editors. :p

Though to be honest, I don't think there's a chance that it's open by next week. It's been closed for months (before the iPad 2 launch), and I was in the temporary store down the street yesterday for a genius bar appointment and saw no signs that the new store was about to open.

Muad'Dib

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
Yeah, still wondering when that store is going to open back up. What could they possibly be doing that is taking so long???

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
If there is to be an event next week on the 6th or 5th or 4th then they pretty much have to send out invites today or tomorrow. :eek:
I am sooo sick of waiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.