Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

last2findout

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
my macbook shuts down about once a day kernel panic but i think my fan only working on start up after about 5 mins i can't hear or feel it what is wrong or is it new fan or is kernel panic nothing todo with over heat maybe????

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If its not working properly try reseting the SMC to see if that fixes the problem,

last2findout

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
says fan is running at 3775rpm and cpu temp:78,but i can't really feel any air pushing out of vents just dead hot only really started happening after upgrading memory ??

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
says fan is running at 3775rpm and cpu temp:78,but i can't really feel any air pushing out of vents just dead hot only really started happening after upgrading memory ??
Your temp and fan speed would suggest they're working properly. You won't necessarily feel airflow from the vents, even with the fans at full speed.

last2findout

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
you can normally feel something but i can't feel anything it does work when i first start up but them goes quite?? through the day, I have a cam shell on and that is roasting even hotter with it off

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I don't usually notice my fans running until they hit over 4000 RPM. Then again, I tend not to use my MBP in a quiet room. I can't recall ever feeling air from the fans, though.

If the problems started happening after upgrading the RAM, that would be the first thing to check. Maybe you got a bad RAM card.

Last edited:

last2findout

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
it was ok for a while then just started shutting down i might be looking into the heat thing touch much but its always really hot when it shuts down, might take it out and put old memory in see what happens

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
it was ok for a while then just started shutting down i might be looking into the heat thing touch much but its always really hot when it shuts down, might take it out and put old memory in see what happens

Blow it all out with some compressed air ... might clear out paths if there is too much dirt etc in there.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speed, among other things.

I believe iStat uses voltage going to the fan to extrapolate it's speed. When my left fan was going out and occasionally completely stopped, iStat would still report it as running at the same speed the right one did.

Your mileage may vary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.