Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
March/April 2012.

Apple has been known to release MacBook Pros in April. But if you want to see QuadCore in MacBook Pro 13", wait till June 2012. I will upgrade to the new MBP 13" if Apple put a discrete GPU along with a significantly faster SSD than the ones they put in MacBook Air 2011.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Apple has been known to release MacBook Pros in April. But if you want to see QuadCore in MacBook Pro 13", wait till June 2012. I will upgrade to the new MBP 13" if Apple put a discrete GPU along with a significantly faster SSD than the ones they put in MacBook Air 2011.

The only time they released a MBP in April for the past 6 years was in 2010.

Now, I don't mind having a quad-core with 13", but quad-core and 15" would be great as well. As long as I can have my 16GB RAM inside it though.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
It's looking more and more likely that my next computer won't have to be an iMac...

I want a computer that will power a Thunderbolt display and game well at full resolution. I also will have a laptop no matter what, for taking notes at school, ect.

I may be able to have a laptop that's powerful enough for that... Oh, I can't wait. The future is definitely 100% portable devices. Desktop computers hopefully won't be needed for much.

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
The difference between a 13' MBA and the 13' Pro isn't really enough to warrant having both in the product line at the moment IMO. I would love for them to shake up the ecosystem by differentiating them better.

Have the pro-line operate with BOTH SSD (128Gb for OS and apps) and a large HDD for data. Remove the CD drive to allow bigger battery in the 15/17' and enable space for a dedicated GPU in the 13'. And of course, with these new 35W quad-cores they can go quad core across the line. Having a dedicated GPU in the 13' would be an absolute killer feature and fully differentiate it from the 13' air, and I'm sure ditching the optical drive would allow plenty of room for it (I replaced mine with an SSD drive and the caddy takes up at least 25% the internal space of my 13' MBP).

saback

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
The difference between a 13' MBA and the 13' Pro isn't really enough to warrant having both in the product line at the moment IMO. I would love for them to shake up the ecosystem by differentiating them better.

Have the pro-line operate with BOTH SSD (128Gb for OS and apps) and a large HDD for data. Remove the CD drive to allow bigger battery in the 15/17' and enable space for a dedicated GPU in the 13'. And of course, with these new 35W quad-cores they can go quad core across the line. Having a dedicated GPU in the 13' would be an absolute killer feature and fully differentiate it from the 13' air, and I'm sure ditching the optical drive would allow plenty of room for it (I replaced mine with an SSD drive and the caddy takes up at least 25% the internal space of my 13' MBP).

That´s what I am waiting for + 3G internal!!!

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011

If Apple does keep the 13" MB Pro around, it will be differentiated from the 13" MBA in 2 ways;

1. Quad-core CPU
2. 8GB of RAM Max (instead of 4GB)

I highly doubt there will be a discrete GPU in the 13" MB Pro. And instead of HDD, you'll see SSD as standard.

Even with just these specs I would buy one.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
If Apple does keep the 13" MB Pro around, it will be differentiated from the 13" MBA in 2 ways;

1. Quad-core CPU
2. 8GB of RAM Max (instead of 4GB)

I highly doubt there will be a discrete GPU in the 13" MB Pro. And instead of HDD, you'll see SSD as standard.

Even with just these specs I would buy one.

There will be enough space for a discrete GPU as the new Ivy Bridge is significantly smaller than Sandy Bridge CPU but who knows what Apple would do. And yes, they need to differentiate MacBook PRO from MacBook AIR. I see the AIR has a few problems playing Hi Bit Rate full HD videos, that's just too bad.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
And yes, they need to differentiate MacBook PRO from MacBook AIR.

I agree with you here because most of the differentiation is in configuration options that are most appealing to users who are more likely to go for the 15" in my opinion. It seems like people who are kind of on the edge there get pulled in by the 13" Air and people who need this as more of a replacement desktop go for the 15" and quad cpus straight out.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Sony gets some exotic models but they love to bog them down with all of their software. They should stick to a clean Windows install and a Sony hub that connects to other Sony hardware but leave it at that. They try to put the crossbar on everything, even in Windows!

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Sony gets some exotic models but they love to bog them down with all of their software. They should stick to a clean Windows install and a Sony hub that connects to other Sony hardware but leave it at that. They try to put the crossbar on everything, even in Windows!

Well, it doesn't matter much because you can just wipe the computer yourself after you get it with a fresh Windows install.

It's not like Samsung doesn't like to bog down their machines with proprietary software. Just not as excessively as Sony and HP.

xinu

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Finland
I wish they made AntiGlare screens by default like PowerBooks did..

Who really wants glossy screens and watch their own face all the time from the reflection? Nobody, it is just business. With that glass they "improve" the quality to look crisper and AntiGlare screens are more expensive to make look as good? I cannot find any other reason for glossy screens in every laptop out there..

And 45w TDP for laptop is insanely high. It will burn your nuts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.