Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afairhurst

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
Fingers crossed the firmware update works for my MBP2011 and 24"

I've had this issue since upgrading my MacBook Pro earlier this year... 23 weeks ago. It's been very frustrating to live with and unpredictable... I didn't take my Mac & Display into the Apple Store, as I figured it'd probably behave itself and waste my time. I'm pleased to hear that some people had their 24" swapped for a 27". Makes me wish I'd taken my set up in and had the same good fortune.

Although I think the fix should've been released months ago, I'm pleased it's now here. I just hope it works!

jimmy0x52

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
I've had this issue since upgrading my MacBook Pro earlier this year... 23 weeks ago. It's been very frustrating to live with and unpredictable... I didn't take my Mac & Display into the Apple Store, as I figured it'd probably behave itself and waste my time. I'm pleased to hear that some people had their 24" swapped for a 27". Makes me wish I'd taken my set up in and had the same good fortune.

Although I think the fix should've been released months ago, I'm pleased it's now here. I just hope it works!

I called apple help AND took it to an apple store. They treated me like I was lying about it and refused to admit they had a fix or do anything about it.

Glad to see they were lying the whole time. Too bad I sold the cinema display thinking it would never work with my brand new macbook pro. Lost money on the deal too.

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Apple only care about their new product. What about MacBook Pro late 2008 flickering issue on nvidia 9400M? It's been 3 years, and still no fix.

It's a logic board issue. Same thing happened to mine. Took it Apple and they just gave me this new 15" quad-core computer :)
(i've had several other issues through-out that computers life, of course)

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Quite some time? The very longest is 8 weeks! the hardware has only been available since July. In this period of time you've had plenty of opportunity to return the product or have it repaired/replaced by Apple.

I got my MacBook Pro in March and that's when my flickering issue started.
I bought my Apple 24" Display in April 2010 from eBay and I didn't know if Apple would do anything about it so I left it...but it didn't bother me & I thought Apple would fix it eventually with an update. Hopefully they have now.

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
how come they don't offer a 24inch? i mean 27inch display is awesome, but its to big for some people. 24inch would be perfect for me, plus be cheaper then shelling out a 1000 bucks for one lol

pittster

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
UK
I've just got back from work to install this dmg file.... doesn't seem to exist any more... any one else able to find/install it?

Mainstream!Hero

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
Apple Support says issue stems from computers

Hmm I just called Apple and they told me the problem lies with the new Thunderbolt chips, not the ADC.

They told me to bring my 2011 MBP to a service provider, who will then install a fix on the computer which is not publicly available.

This is actually far more logical, because the problem only appears when a display is connected to a Thunderbolt port, not when connected to a MiniDisplayPort.

skoorbevad

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2007
Too bad they won't issue a fix for the older 27" LED Cinema displays that have been chronically flickering for years. Apple's stonewalled the issue, even though a ton of people are having it. Not what I expect from a $1000 monitor, through 2 replacements.

No real care for products that aren't the latest and greatest, even though the 27" LED Cinema Display is not an "old" product by any means.

Sigh.

tn9design

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2011
Texas
My 24" was fine until I bought a macbook pro w thunderbolt. It wasn't a big enough problem to warrant a return (only happening occasionally for a few short seconds) but nonetheless it wasn't working the way it should.

Recently purchased two 27" thunderbolt displays and neither have had any problems with flickering.

My only concern is with selling my 24" since I will feel bad if I sell it to someone with a thunderbolt port.

Tony1uk

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
:mad: OMG, why would they upload something that fixes an issue that is pretty damn important to me (I paid £650 for this and it doesn't work properly on my 2011 Macbook Pro) and then go and pull it.

They sort of owe it to their customers to assure us of compatibility. FFS, it's only two years ago since I bought it and I am expected to accept it and be happy that I cannot use it properly with my computer. Yes I really have that much money to throw away. Why not just upgrade every year and break compatibility with the product just released.

Why the f have they pulled something that is supposed to provide a fix!!!

julian2020

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
What about the Apple Cinema 23 (A1082)?

Hello,

does this Thunderbolt port issue apply to the ACD 23 (A1082)? It uses DVI-D.

Considering buying one second hand to accompany my Macbook Air 11 (2011).

andreiru

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Kurgan, RF
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

What about those mid '09 MBPs that only work eith stock SATA 1 drives? When will that be fixed? Thy can just reduce SATA 2 back to SATA 1 if it cannot be firmware repaired. The update firmware is useless. So many people with these issues. Practically all owners that chained their drive.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Apple only care about their new product. What about MacBook Pro late 2008 flickering issue on nvidia 9400M? It's been 3 years, and still no fix.

yeah i'm on the same boat, i went in to the apple store and they told me i'm out of luck unless I want to pay the price of a new mac for the "repair"

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Hello,

does this Thunderbolt port issue apply to the ACD 23 (A1082)? It uses DVI-D.

Considering buying one second hand to accompany my Macbook Air 11 (2011).

I doubt it. DVI and Displayport are too different for me to expect them to use the same firmware.

----------

:mad: OMG, why would they upload something that fixes an issue that is pretty damn important to me (I paid £650 for this and it doesn't work properly on my 2011 Macbook Pro) and then go and pull it.

They sort of owe it to their customers to assure us of compatibility. FFS, it's only two years ago since I bought it and I am expected to accept it and be happy that I cannot use it properly with my computer. Yes I really have that much money to throw away. Why not just upgrade every year and break compatibility with the product just released.

I dunno, maybe cuz they found other side effects or are still testing to see if they can make it better? (seriously, I've seen other companies pull firmwares for those reasons)

qrayg

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
Earth

Well, I installed it immediately and have had success for the first 12 hours. Then last night after about 2 hours of straight use, I got another black flash. Haven't had one since, but I'm not sure if this Firmware was a complete fix.

mtsmith2

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
Someone have a copy of the file?

Apple has pulled it -- I would love to try and see if the update helps me. Anyone have a copy?

mtsmith2

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
Problem Solved

After 48 hours with the new firmware, No more blinking for me :) Works like a charm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.