Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The following photo has appeared on JailBreakiPhone4u and is beginning to circulate across the internet. The claim in the original article is that this somehow represents an iPad 3 Prototype.

The image appears to show an iPad-like case with Apple logo, and iPad name, but with some differences to the currently shipping design. The most noticeable difference is the presence of a bulge near the bottom of the device that appears to be for a port. The area is also labeled with an ethernet port symbol. Next, based on the single shot, the device appears to be widescreen configuration.

We tried contacting the poster to get some backstory, but with no response. Given the current information, our best guess is that this represents a knock-off / clone iPad design. It seems very unlikely that Apple would either add an ethernet port or change the aspect ratio of the iPad in the next version. The iPad 3 is rumored to be coming in 2012.

Article Link: Page 2: iPad 3 'Prototype' Image Circulating

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Apple has been keen on ditching hardwired network ports (ala MacBook Air). Not to mention how cumbersome a device with a hardwired network would be.

An ethernet connector is taller then the iPad is thick, even with the 'bulge'.

I just don't see it.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah, it's probably a prototype of some sort.
Nope, we probably won't see this specific design on iPad 3.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Adding Ethernet and losing a camera? Sure. And the next iPad will also have a black and white display.

srminton

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2008
agree with most of this, except that getting rid of the rear-facing camera wouldn't be such a dumb move - it really is a useless camera (not the front-facing camera, which they definitely have to keep). I've only ever seen one person using the rear-facing camera in public, and they looked like an idiot doing so.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
that whole article is poorly structured and incoherent. i call bs.

i highly doubt wireless charging will be apart of ipad 3.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
agree with most of this, except that getting rid of the rear-facing camera wouldn't be such a dumb move - it really is a useless camera (not the front-facing camera, which they definitely have to keep). I've only ever seen one person using the rear-facing camera in public, and they looked like an idiot doing so.

If you use the camera for apps like Evernote, ie to take pictures of notes etc, then the rear camera is invaluable.

Glassman

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Apple logo seems printed rather than made of plastic - how would this thing deal with wireless reception?

No way they would change aspect ratio either.

Prob. another me-too shanzai attempt.

Varedis

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
The image is clearly this Android tablet with an apple logo stuck on it, you can even see the icons all around the edges for every port

10in%20tablet.jpg%202.jpg

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
The image is clearly this Android tablet with an apple logo stuck on it, you can even see the icons all around the edges for every port

Varedis nails it in one.

More importantly, around the writing is a white halo from the clone stamp

Last edited:

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
I hope MacRumors show some professionalism and post an update indicating that the report is fake, on this really bad written article the sooner possible.

I wonder what else are they going to think to increase their page views. I am not referring of course to the MacRumors, but to the guys that stuck the apple sticker on the back of this tablet...

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
On the same tone:

That's the real iPad 3. I have some extremely well informed Apple internal sources. The new iPad will feature dual 3G antenna on the shape of ear piercing, increased IQ and will be able to shake itself in it's own music beat by attaching the headphones to it's new ear shaped stereo microphones… Furthermore, instead of a screen on the rear side it will feature a customisable "Smart Face"® attached with magnets to perfectly fit the new Assistant feature. You will be able to ask it questions such as: "How big Apple fun boy I am??" or "How much of an idiot I am spending my time looking on fake Apple imitations on net?". To respond to such questions, it will spit you on your face and scream "Sucker" and then it will burp...

:D

picture-116.png

Last edited:

yourmother

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Japan
Seeing the way the back is shaped and how there is no camera on the back. I would think this an iPad 1 prototype more likely than an iPad 3 prototype.

Apple is pushing facetime heavily so they arent going to take away a feature in a future product.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Seeing the way the back is shaped and how there is no camera on the back. I would think this an iPad 1 prototype more likely than an iPad 3 prototype.

Apple is pushing facetime heavily so they arent going to take away a feature in a future product.

You really didn't bother reading the previous posts I guess..

RazorSharp69

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2011
Aussie
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or that bulge looking shadow could be someone's shotty photoshop skills.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
This really doesn't make sense. Why would Apple remove camera on the 3rd gen which they introduced in 2nd gen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.